Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X Long Range Raven Acceleration Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Tesla Model X Raven that is making a grinding noise on “harsh” acceleration (3/4 to full). The noise is most evident on “cold starts”. I have had the car in service for this issue and Tesla has replaced the Front Half Shafts, but it has not resolved the issue. Tesla is now telling me that this is “a mechanical noise under extreme conditions and not from a manufacturing defect or workmanship... we are exploring how to address this concern with your best interest in mind. We have been placed on the watch list to obtain updates”. I’m not sure what they mean about “extreme conditions” being that my M3P doesn't have the same issue given the same conditions. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? I just want to get this issue resolved so that I can get back to enjoying my Model X. Below are links to videos that I have taken of the issue. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cj4nb2iuavb2q2/Job 1 1.2.mov?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/oppj8r2cdp5k8pp/Job 1 1.1.mov?dl

I heard a few noises there. The loud scratchy noise at the beginning sounds like it's coming from close to the phone like someone moving or clothes rubbing, is that the sound you are talking about? Another sound I heard is the low whiny grinding noise of the motor and that is normal.

I appreciate your feedback. It’s the low whiny grinding noise that I was referring to. I can’t imagine that it is a “normal” motor noise given the following: 1. The three techs that I have gone on test drives with have if knowledges it as irregular, 2. Tesla has attempted repair on the vehicle based on the noise 3. My Model 3 does not make that noise.

I appreciate your feedback. It’s the low whiny grinding noise that I was referring to. I can’t imagine that it is a “normal” motor noise given the following: 1. The three techs that I have gone on test drives with have if knowledges it as irregular, 2. Tesla has attempted repair on the vehicle based on the noise 3. My Model 3 does not make that noise.
What time mark? Is it the knocking sound?

This is all part of the long-running shudder/groan problem with the Model X, the 1/2 shafts and the motor mounts. You can read the many pages on this issue and Tesla's many fixes (that to this day don't really work well).

Acceleration Shudder

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. Do you know if Tesla has corrected the concern on the vehicles that are currently coming off of the line? If so, maybe I should sell mine and buy a new one? Once again, I really appreciate your feedback.

Hmmm, I agree it’s related to the acceleration shudder but it doesn’t seem like Detroit has the “shudder” - he’s just hearing noise. I have to admit though, it must be related since it happens at the 35 mph spot that seems to trigger the shudder for all of us.

FWIW, I have the shudder but do NOT have that knocking/grinding noise. I’m glad I don’t because I agree that’s terribly annoying AND disconcerting.

Although the shudder issue is the best guess, it’s also worth checking the air suspension. That sounds a lot like some of the knocking I heard before my air suspension failed.

Update: I suggested to Tesla that Service Bulletin SB-19-39-001 dated 6/25/19 might resolve my concern, but they quickly brought it to my attention that the bulletin is for vehicles with a build date of 5/15/19 or older and my vehicle was built on 9/3/19. :/ Any other ideas?

Attachments

• SB-19-39-001.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 362
I have the same sound on my Raven MX. I've had it in 3 times (in Indy) for this issue and just picked it up today with the service rep (who has been great) saying...
"We were able to duplicate the shudder (really just a sound) when accelerating. We found this to be coming from the front half shafts/front axles. This shudder as it is undesirable, does not pose a safety risk. Engineering is in the process of making updates parts (for Raven updated cars) to correct this shudder. As this is still under investigation with engineering, we do not have an accurate ETA on the updated parts."
He suggested I check back from time to time and check this board.

Hope that info helps. Cheers & happy new year!

I have the same sound on my Raven MX. I've had it in 3 times (in Indy) for this issue and just picked it up today with the service rep (who has been great) saying...
"We were able to duplicate the shudder (really just a sound) when accelerating. We found this to be coming from the front half shafts/front axles. This shudder as it is undesirable, does not pose a safety risk. Engineering is in the process of making updates parts (for Raven updated cars) to correct this shudder. As this is still under investigation with engineering, we do not have an accurate ETA on the updated parts."
He suggested I check back from time to time and check this board.

Hope that info helps. Cheers & happy new year!

Thank you for the great information and for taking the time to post it. Hopefully Tesla Engineering will find a solution soon. I wonder if there are any Raven Model X's out there that don't make this noise? If we could find one, or more, perhaps then we could narrow down the build dates and find a solution.

I have a very similar if not identical sound in my 17 X 100D as @DetroitTezla has in his video. The service center had already done the bulletin for the new clevis mount and half shafts. This fixed the traditional "shudder" but now I have the more grinding/knocking noise present in the video. It seems like this is not isolated to the Raven models. Hopefully they can figure out how to resolve this once and for all.

Reactions: DetroitTezla
Thank you for the great information and for taking the time to post it. Hopefully Tesla Engineering will find a solution soon. I wonder if there are any Raven Model X's out there that don't make this noise? If we could find one, or more, perhaps then we could narrow down the build dates and find a solution.
My Raven does NOT make this noise on hard acceleration. It would certainly take all the fun out of rapid acceleration. I’d find it most unacceptable.

No! I don’t want to! I’m afraid of what I might hear .

I plan to use high and very high only in deep snow, and presumably in those conditions I won’t be accelerating very fast.

I don't feel shudder at low/standard suspension height either.

And, I agree - shudder maybe expected when accelerating hard at high/very high suspension, as warned in the manual. That is also why the car automatically lowers from very high/high upon reaching 35 mph/45 mph.

Screenshot_20200103-223617_Drive.jpg