Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X Long Range Raven - HV battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too have not seen any other mention of a J Pack prior to me getting one. Take it with a grain of salt but the service manager noted to me that they've seen a number of E Packs come through with failures and he indicated its usually part of the HV wiring cables within the battery and not the actually the cells leading to the premature failures. I have nothing to corroborate this but found it interesting.

My early 2020 Model X's HV battery failed, and the diagnosis was a faulty wiring harness in the pack. The SC replaced the HV battery. The car originally had an "E" version battery and the replacement was a remanufactured "E" pack.

Hopefully these reman'd packs have a revised wiring harness as it seems like there is a higher fail rate on the original E packs.

Hello everyone,
Clearly, the reason I found this thread is a similar problem with our Model-X (2019 M-X Raven Performance) : while we've not (yet) seen any error messages, we do have the following :
1- When repeatedly charged to 90%, the wall charger shows 36 kWh was added, while the car shows 26 kWh used since last charge, this is a consistent deviation.
2- When charged to 90% (L2 wall charger) the expected range shows about 420 km (= 261 Miles), but the "real" range is more around 300 km (= 186 Miles). Even the theoretical range seems a little low compared to specs (= 491 km / 305 Miles (at 100%) , source=Timelines for Vehicles and Variants – TeslaTap).
3- We complained about this before and the SC said to precondition (in the Dutch summer + car always parked in the shade), however no difference observed.

I think someone here mentioned seeing their efficiency drop right before the failure ? We both work far away from home and completely depend on our cars, we stepped over from Toyota / Lexus in May 2023 (2019 M-X + 2021 M-3), so we're not used to car-problems.... Don't get me wrong - we love them both dearly, but basically - the car has to work for me, not the other way around...

My question : has anyone noticed similar symptoms and what is the best way to get the SC to take action ?
Thanks + a great weekend to all ;)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Clearly, the reason I found this thread is a similar problem with our Model-X (2019 M-X Raven Performance) : while we've not (yet) seen any error messages, we do have the following :
1- When repeatedly charged to 90%, the wall charger shows 36 kWh was added, while the car shows 26 kWh used since last charge, this is a consistent deviation.
2- When charged to 90% (L2 wall charger) the expected range shows about 420 km (= 261 Miles), but the "real" range is more around 300 km (= 186 Miles). Even the theoretical range seems a little low compared to specs (= 491 km / 305 Miles (at 100%) , source=Timelines for Vehicles and Variants – TeslaTap).
3- We complained about this before and the SC said to precondition (in the Dutch summer + car always parked in the shade), however no difference observed.

I think someone here mentioned seeing their efficiency drop right before the failure ? We both work far away from home and completely depend on our cars, we stepped over from Toyota / Lexus in May 2023 (2019 M-X + 2021 M-3), so we're not used to car-problems.... Don't get me wrong - we love them both dearly, but basically - the car has to work for me, not the other way around...

My question : has anyone noticed similar symptoms and what is the best way to get the SC to take action ?
Thanks + a great weekend to all ;)
I can no longer edit my previous post... The M-3 charge "gap" is : car added 34 kWh, charger added 36.3 kWh. so the energy dissipation is not in the wall charger. I would assume some energy losses converting AC <>AC, but seeing how it differs between the 2 cars seems to exclude a fault in the charger.
Any similar experiences ?

Wow same for me 2019 Raven Model X - LR. Bought new in Aug 2019. At about 78K KM in July 2023 had the HV fail after supercharging completed in the US while on a 15,000KM 3 week trip. Got a loaner to finish trip which was nice. They replaced with a H revision HV and took about 2-3 weeks to fix. This was supercharged heavily with some home charging.

Then, in early Oct 2023, I had my 12V fail without warning. After tow to SC, they changed the 12V (this is 2nd one in 4 years - seems to last 2 years), everything seemed good. Then, a few days later the car gave errors like this thread - seemed the HV is not charging the 12V so the new battery just discharged. This time it was charged at home daily per recommendation to plug in everyday. Anyway got a loaner and just got news the service is done. Said it would take 3 weeks but seems to be completed in 2 weeks. The invoice shows a J revision HV so hopefully whatever the issue is has been fixed.

Thankfully this was covered under the 8 year battery warranty as my 4yr end to end is done. I hope this J revision lasts as would be scared to pay out of pocket to replace the HV battery if there is some bigger issue with the Raven model causing failures in the HV.

Reactions: beacham
Just wanted to share another story of the same. My car died 1.5 weeks ago. 2019 Model X Long Range. 70k miles. I had VERY good battery life, very little degradation. Around 290-295 range left on a full charge.

I was heading out in the morning after a normal 80% charge the evening prior. Started receiving several strange warnings about acceleration reduced and regenerative breaking not working- different than any errors I had seen before. I kept driving to my destination (about 10 miles). Put it in park. When it was time to leave 1.5 hours later, I had several more errors (screenshot attached) and couldn’t put the car in drive. Then everything powered off. I got in and out and tried several times- battery still showing 220ish range. AC would come on, everything good in cabin, just couldn’t put it in drive. Tried all different resets, even unplugged the 12v for 5 minutes. Never worked again. Had to get it towed the next morning (tried again to put it in drive the next morning too).

Tesla immediately recognized that it needed an HV battery replacement covered by warranty. It is just finishing up service now and I’m eager to get the invoice to see the news. Their new service update in the app (with the 8 steps and spinning car on top) doesn’t seem to show the invoice/details early on for warranty fixes like the old version did.

img_2920-jpeg.983394.jpg

i wonder how many of those tesla that needed the battery replaced was a leased vehicle in the past. Most owners that leased their cars dont give a damn. They charged it to 100% often and once lease is up they just return it. shame on them.
Mine was a brand new 2019 Model X (Raven). Seems this year and model (Raven) has had many of the HV batteries fail suddenly. Thankfully I still have 4 years left on the battery warranty but I hope it was a HV issue and not some peripheral system.

Just want to chime with my June 2019 MX Performance (Raven) here as I also experienced HV battery failure earlier this year (~August 2023)

Mine was a bit scary / bizarre as she died on me while going ~80 MPH on the highway while flashing paradoxical messages:
1. "front motor disabled ok to drive"
2. "vehicle shutting down pull over safely"

Luckily, I was able to coast to the right, where I found a bit of a shoulder.

Despite all the telltale signs (I got the exact same error codes as @beacham), Tesla Roadside told me they don't know if it's the HV Battery until a SC can run diagnosis, so I opted for a tow from AAA instead.

The awesome people at Van Burnt (SC in Brooklyn NYC) replace my battery within a week so I was lucky I didn't have to wait long

Late model 2019 raven peformance X. HV battery failed on a road trip. Car towed to service center 350 miles from my house. They did provide a loaner but are saying that I will need to come pick my car up. I find this absurd. They should have it sent to my house or a local service center. I can’t fathom spending 14 hours round trip with charging to pick it back up. When I called Tesla service their remote diagnostics said the supercharger somehow sent too high a voltage to the car and caused the damage. The two people I talked to said they hadn’t seen this before and asked if I noticed anything. I was plugged into a charger and another Tesla came partway through charging and plugged into the shared circuit. The charging dropped from 290ish miles/hour to 250 miles/hour for a little bit as soon as they plugged in and then suddenly spiked higher and boom, all the error messages. Anyone have experience getting Tesla to ship a car back when you’ve been on a road trip due to the car being damaged by a supercharger?