Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X Long Range Raven - HV battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X got only about 31k miles on it, and it's just about three years old.

Out of the blue, it just started giving me series of errors (Unable to start vehicle, Power reduced, Acceleration and top speed reduced, Adaptive ride control disabled,...) when I tried to start the car.

Got it towed to SC, and they are telling me that the HV battery needs to be replaced. Based on my readings from other threads, it looks like Tesla will only put remanufactured batteries.

I am worried what if the battery that are part of remanufactured pack is older / used-up more than what I have had. Any recommendation on how to communicate this concern to SC is greatly appreciated.

Also please share your experience if your car's HV battery was replaced, if so how is it performing with remanufactured battery in terms of pickup, charging at v3, did you get any other errors after swapping HV battery was put in, etc...

Thanks

I had my 2019 Raven S's HV battery replaced ~45,000 for similar issues.

They gave me a reconditioned pack. In theory, it should perform up to OEM specs in all aspects.

I did notice some a weird charging curve on a V3 charger the 1 time I tried Supercharging after getting the new pack... but that was the last straw for me on that car, I sold it immediately after.

Reactions: mthathagar
I had my 2019 Raven S's HV battery replaced ~45,000 for similar issues.

They gave me a reconditioned pack. In theory, it should perform up to OEM specs in all aspects.

I did notice some a weird charging curve on a V3 charger the 1 time I tried Supercharging after getting the new pack... but that was the last straw for me on that car, I sold it immediately after.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I share your concerns. I bought a used 2020 Model S performance 2 months ago and it now has 19k miles. I just got a slew of codes as well (looks to be the same as yours) and is pretty much dead in my garage now. I bought it via the Tesla used car program online. Tesla said I'm now scheduled to have the HV battery replaced apprx 10 Jan. I have to get it towed as soon as they get the parts. Please let me know your outcome. Thanks!

How often do you guys super charge? I have a MX Raven July 2019 P100D with 47k miles. I super charge a couple times a year, and mainly charge on L1 as I daily drive my 2022 M3 RWD LFP. I only use the wall connector L2 48 amps / 32A for LFP, if I’m planning a long drive.
I cycle the MX battery from 70% - 40%. I have about 4% battery degradation after charging to 100%, draining to 1%, and charging back to 100%.

How often do you guys super charge? I have a MX Raven July 2019 P100D with 47k miles. I super charge a couple times a year, and mainly charge on L1 as I daily drive my 2022 M3 RWD LFP. I only use the wall connector L2 48 amps / 32A for LFP, if I’m planning a long drive.
I cycle the MX battery from 70% - 40%. I have about 4% battery degradation after charging to 100%, draining to 1%, and charging back to 100%.

We’ve beat the hell out of our 2020 Model X battery and so far, it’s been tremendous. 57k miles on the odometer.

Mostly local driving, but multiple long road trips, including a 2500 mile journey pulling our travel trailer (average 1100 wh/mi!)

Road trips are all Supercharging, local is almost all home charging.

Here’s the last year’s charging stats.

Around 5% reduction in estimated max range. In the real world, that’s hardly anything.

Very, very pleased.

Attachments

• 9E30E819-7A9F-45C7-9BB8-834FF7DBCD86.jpeg
    9E30E819-7A9F-45C7-9BB8-834FF7DBCD86.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 640
  • 74895623-FF76-49EB-A8A0-1F934D6A53A2.jpeg
    74895623-FF76-49EB-A8A0-1F934D6A53A2.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: MobileClimate
We’ve beat the hell out of our 2020 Model X battery and so far, it’s been tremendous. 57k miles on the odometer.

Mostly local driving, but multiple long road trips, including a 2500 mile journey pulling our travel trailer (average 1100 wh/mi!)

Road trips are all Supercharging, local is almost all home charging.

Here’s the last year’s charging stats.

Around 5% reduction in estimated max range. In the real world, that’s hardly anything.

Very, very pleased.
What app is the second screenshot from? (The bell curve)

My Model X got only about 31k miles on it, and it's just about three years old.

Out of the blue, it just started giving me series of errors (Unable to start vehicle, Power reduced, Acceleration and top speed reduced, Adaptive ride control disabled,...) when I tried to start the car.

Got it towed to SC, and they are telling me that the HV battery needs to be replaced. Based on my readings from other threads, it looks like Tesla will only put remanufactured batteries.

I am worried what if the battery that are part of remanufactured pack is older / used-up more than what I have had. Any recommendation on how to communicate this concern to SC is greatly appreciated.

Also please share your experience if your car's HV battery was replaced, if so how is it performing with remanufactured battery in terms of pickup, charging at v3, did you get any other errors after swapping HV battery was put in, etc...

Thanks
I got the exact same messages on my 2019 Model X. A replacement battery won't be available until Jan. 24th. They obviously had a problem with these batteries. I haven't gotten any info on whether the battery will be new or remanufactured. I'm now going to ask.

I got the exact same messages on my 2019 Model X. A replacement battery won't be available until Jan. 24th. They obviously had a problem with these batteries. I haven't gotten any info on whether the battery will be new or remanufactured. I'm now going to ask.
It will be remanufactured for sure. That is part of the problem. They need to locate a battery of roughly similar age as yours. The battery you get will be the same model and rough age as your existing battery. It will not be new.

We had the same thing happen. New HV battery replaced January 2 2023, total failure again 1/19/23. Sitting in my garage. I'm beyond frustrated and not sure what to do.
Wow you had a second HV battery failure in 2 weeks?

Chances of that are relatively slim - makes me wonder if there's some kind of soft/firmware update they issued that's leading to hardware faults on the Ravens, with package voltage being thrown off in some cells.

Believe it is Tesla's policy to replace a warranty battery with another with equal or greater capacity.

While used, it will be "less used" than your old one. You do not get a brand new battery as a replacement unless Tesla is unable to source a reasonable replacement.

Of course everyone will want a brand new battery with all the latest technology, but sorry.

That’s fairly steady. Ours shows a little more of a stair step. Likely not statistically significantly different, but those drops do look concerning. The range comes back a bit in the spring however, so have to take all of these stats with a huge grain of salt.

Reactions: MobileClimate