Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X Long Range Vs. 2017 Model X 100D - Same Mileage Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community,

Hoping you can help me answer a question regarding rated range between a 2017 100D and a 2019 Long Range.

I'm looking to purchase a used Model X. Originally I was searching for a 2017 100D which based on specs I googled, provides 295 miles of range at 100% SOC (not considering battery degradation). I came across a great deal on a 2019 Long Range which when I initially googled, found to provide 325 miles of range at 100% SOC. I recall when Tesla first made the change moving away from 100D badging, that the listed range did go up to around 325.

I know both models are equipped with the same 100kWh battery and assumed that the extra 30 miles of range was due to software adjustments on the 2019 model.

Today I just looked at Tesla's used car inventory and on the 2019 Long Range, it listed the specs as 295 miles of range instead of the 325.

Can some 2019 Long Range owners please chime in and advise what their rated range is at 100% SOC? This would be extremely helpful! Thanks in advance.

From looking at 2017 versus 2019, I am thinking that time span also includes the change in motor types which improved efficiency quite a bit. That newer version was referred to as "Raven". So perhaps that is a lot of what is going on with that difference of 295 versus 325.

I know both models are equipped with the same 100kWh battery and assumed that the extra 30 miles of range was due to software adjustments on the 2019 model.

Today I just looked at Tesla's used car inventory and on the 2019 Long Range, it listed the specs as 295 miles of range instead of the 325.

Can some 2019 Long Range owners please chime in and advise what their rated range is at 100% SOC? This would be extremely helpful! Thanks in advance.
The Ravens came out in May 2019 and the rated range increased from 295 to 325 miles. The primary reason for the increase was that the motors changed. So a 2019 could be either rated range. Tesla’s used car inventory nomenclature is sometimes loose. They may call something a “long range” that is pre-Raven.

Probably more important than this range difference is the air suspension changes they made with the Ravens. People rave about their Raven’s air suspension.

From looking at 2017 versus 2019, I am thinking that time span also includes the change in motor types which improved efficiency quite a bit. That newer version was referred to as "Raven". So perhaps that is a lot of what is going on with that difference of 295 versus 325.
Yes, that's exactly what it was! I've heard of the term 'raven' but wasn't sure what it meant. Just googled it and that's definitely the explanation for the range increase. Thank you!

Reactions: Rocky_H
The Ravens came out in May 2019 and the rated range increased from 295 to 325 miles. The primary reason for the increase was that the motors changed. So a 2019 could be either rated range. Tesla’s used car inventory nomenclature is sometimes loose. They may call something a “long range” that is pre-Raven.

Probably more important than this range difference is the air suspension changes they made with the Ravens. People rave about their Raven’s air suspension.
Good lookin' out BigRiv. The 2019 LR I'm picking up was a July 2019 build. Psyched that I'm getting the Raven!

Reactions: ModelX and Bigriver
That's European-"Rated". Try "Typical" for a closer comparison. North-American-"Rated" is definitely not 371mi for any model X.

Expand this (from reddit) for more info :
Teslike
3y
Hi. Here is an example:
North America:
  • EPA rated range: 259 miles for the Model S 75D
  • Ideal range: Unrealistically high
Rest of the world:
  • NEDC rated range: Unrealistically high
  • Typical range: 241 miles for the Model S 75D
Here is what you need to know:
  1. Tesla advertises EPA rated range only in North America. If you open the Model S design studio, scroll down and change the country selection to somewhere in Europe, let's say the UK, you will see the NEDC rated range. NEDC rated range is completely unrealistic but it is the official range they use in Europe. NEDC will be discontinued within a year.
  2. Tesla cars display EPA rated range only in North America. Outside of North America, EPA rated range is not a selectable option in the settings menu on the touchscreen. In Europe, the touchscreen has two options: Rated and Typical. The rated range in Europe should not be confused with the rated range in North America even though the touchscreen says "Rated" for both.
  3. Typical range was created by Tesla and does not exist outside of Tesla cars. Unfortunately, Tesla does not publish the Typical range numbers anywhere but we do have survey-based data. Currently, Typical range is the most realistic range unit. For example, a new Model S 75D in Europe will display 241 mi Typical range at 100% charge. When Consumer Reports did their range test, the Model S 75D scored 235 miles. Therefore Typical range is very close to real-world range. Typical range is always less than EPA rated range. Unfortunately, Typical range is not available in North America.
  4. In Europe, the NEDC rated range is being replaced with something new called WLTP rated range. Newly released cars already use WLTP since last month. Existing cars will switch to WLTP rated range in September 2018. WLTP rated range is expected to be less than EPA rated range and very similar to Typical range.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H