Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

2019 Model X - Raven, Standard Range, 5 seats. - What's it worth?

Spelly88

OD 5/14 LR5 MSM/Black | 20 | PA I EDD 11/24-12/14
May 16, 2018
Philly Suburbs, PA
Funny, but I was just considering doing something like this... I have a 2019 Raven X Perf with Ludicrous. White/White/5/Autopilot, Only 14400 miles as of today. I'm trying to determine if it's worth trying to trade it in for a cheapo bmw i3 (or something similar - priced $20k or less) and order a Plaid X. I could bank the leftover and maybe invest it in something until April-ish when the Plaid X is available and hopefully see a little return... Assuming I get a good deal on the X trade of course...

Is this dumb? And sorry Squirrel, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but it's interesting especially since we got our cars near each other I remember...

Spelly88

May 16, 2018
Philly Suburbs, PA
when I ran the #s, going to a cheap-o car for a few months (well, who knows when my CT gets here) wasn't for me. I'd miss AP and the ride too much for a few hundred/month. Your mileage may vary.
Oh I'd definitely miss it too... I really wish someone with a finance/investment background could weigh in and share what they would do in the same situation...

Spelly88

May 16, 2018
Philly Suburbs, PA
they'd tell you cars are a horrible waste of money and to drive a 2005 honda accord until you die. :p
I'd agree with you 99% of the time, but I hear stories of people getting crazy prices for their used cars these days. Like, around what they paid for it a few years later... I suppose they could be lying, but I know prices are pretty high... I was just trying to figure out if there was a way to join in on gaming the system somehow...

Target

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2018
Chicago Land
I'd agree with you 99% of the time, but I hear stories of people getting crazy prices for their used cars these days. Like, around what they paid for it a few years later... I suppose they could be lying, but I know prices are pretty high... I was just trying to figure out if there was a way to join in on gaming the system somehow...
Cheap cars are expensive right now. The best way to game the system right now is sell a car for more than it is normally worth, and then buy something newer for the same money early next year. For the Model S that ship appears to have sailed more or less the time Tesla started shipping new Model S's, so keep it, and enjoy it. If you do find someone to buy your car at a higher price, then buy a new Chevy Bolt, they aren't being hyper inflated by the car dealers, and some dealers are even still offering deals on them. You can probably get most if not all your money back out of it next year. Other option is to chase tax credits by buying a VW id4 or Mustang Mach e new. After the credits you can probably get out next year for near nothing out of pocket. But really the Model S craziness has largely passed, if you get a good price sell it, but that is just generally good advice. The old adage, everything is for sale if the price is right should hold true most of the time, but most people get attached to things.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Cheap cars are expensive right now. The best way to game the system right now is sell a car for more than it is normally worth, and then buy something newer for the same money early next year. For the Model S that ship appears to have sailed more or less the time Tesla started shipping new Model S's, so keep it, and enjoy it. If you do find someone to buy your car at a higher price, then buy a new Chevy Bolt, they aren't being hyper inflated by the car dealers, and some dealers are even still offering deals on them. You can probably get most if not all your money back out of it next year. Other option is to chase tax credits by buying a VW id4 or Mustang Mach e new. After the credits you can probably get out next year for near nothing out of pocket. But really the Model S craziness has largely passed, if you get a good price sell it, but that is just generally good advice. The old adage, everything is for sale if the price is right should hold true most of the time, but most people get attached to things.
Not sure about getting cars any cheaper next year. Car prices are going up and up, especially Teslas. Right now, I have an order for a new X I won't receive until Jan/Feb that is $5,000 less than ordering today. Might be $10,000 less than the order price by then if I get lucky!

Bolts are a unique case and have "fire sale" prices. GM's recommendation to not park the 2017-2019 models in a garage so they don't burn down your house, and not charge above 80% has really hurt sales.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC