Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model X - Raven, Standard Range, 5 seats. - What's it worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, but I was just considering doing something like this... I have a 2019 Raven X Perf with Ludicrous. White/White/5/Autopilot, Only 14400 miles as of today. I'm trying to determine if it's worth trying to trade it in for a cheapo bmw i3 (or something similar - priced $20k or less) and order a Plaid X. I could bank the leftover and maybe invest it in something until April-ish when the Plaid X is available and hopefully see a little return... Assuming I get a good deal on the X trade of course...

Is this dumb? And sorry Squirrel, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but it's interesting especially since we got our cars near each other I remember...

they'd tell you cars are a horrible waste of money and to drive a 2005 honda accord until you die. :p
I'd agree with you 99% of the time, but I hear stories of people getting crazy prices for their used cars these days. Like, around what they paid for it a few years later... I suppose they could be lying, but I know prices are pretty high... I was just trying to figure out if there was a way to join in on gaming the system somehow...

I'd agree with you 99% of the time, but I hear stories of people getting crazy prices for their used cars these days. Like, around what they paid for it a few years later... I suppose they could be lying, but I know prices are pretty high... I was just trying to figure out if there was a way to join in on gaming the system somehow...
Cheap cars are expensive right now. The best way to game the system right now is sell a car for more than it is normally worth, and then buy something newer for the same money early next year. For the Model S that ship appears to have sailed more or less the time Tesla started shipping new Model S's, so keep it, and enjoy it. If you do find someone to buy your car at a higher price, then buy a new Chevy Bolt, they aren't being hyper inflated by the car dealers, and some dealers are even still offering deals on them. You can probably get most if not all your money back out of it next year. Other option is to chase tax credits by buying a VW id4 or Mustang Mach e new. After the credits you can probably get out next year for near nothing out of pocket. But really the Model S craziness has largely passed, if you get a good price sell it, but that is just generally good advice. The old adage, everything is for sale if the price is right should hold true most of the time, but most people get attached to things.

Cheap cars are expensive right now. The best way to game the system right now is sell a car for more than it is normally worth, and then buy something newer for the same money early next year. For the Model S that ship appears to have sailed more or less the time Tesla started shipping new Model S's, so keep it, and enjoy it. If you do find someone to buy your car at a higher price, then buy a new Chevy Bolt, they aren't being hyper inflated by the car dealers, and some dealers are even still offering deals on them. You can probably get most if not all your money back out of it next year. Other option is to chase tax credits by buying a VW id4 or Mustang Mach e new. After the credits you can probably get out next year for near nothing out of pocket. But really the Model S craziness has largely passed, if you get a good price sell it, but that is just generally good advice. The old adage, everything is for sale if the price is right should hold true most of the time, but most people get attached to things.
Not sure about getting cars any cheaper next year. Car prices are going up and up, especially Teslas. Right now, I have an order for a new X I won't receive until Jan/Feb that is $5,000 less than ordering today. Might be $10,000 less than the order price by then if I get lucky!

Bolts are a unique case and have "fire sale" prices. GM's recommendation to not park the 2017-2019 models in a garage so they don't burn down your house, and not charge above 80% has really hurt sales.

when I ran the #s, going to a cheap-o car for a few months (well, who knows when my CT gets here) wasn't for me. I'd miss AP and the ride too much for a few hundred/month. Your mileage may vary.

Just wanted to revisit this thread and see what you decided to do?

It appears your car is well over 80k wholesale now. However, prices of the cars you wanted have also gone up I’m sure?

I still have my X. Nothing else I'd buy would have AP except another Tesla...

I considered a 2019+ Model S, but then I'd just kick myself for not getting a 2022, even though a NEW S in 2019 was like $70k and now it's $97k the way I want (black), with shitty wheels. so add at least 3k to fix that.

For now I'm going to hold on to it, if I like the CyberTruck, I'll get a CyberTruck. If I don't like the truck, I'll get a new S. I'll most likely private sale the X when the time comes. Tesla trade-in on it is a joke.

I'm also going to explore the Rivian and Ford Lightning. I don't know if I can leave the safe bosom of Super Charging, but it's at least worth a test drive.

I still have my X. Nothing else I'd buy would have AP except another Tesla...

I considered a 2019+ Model S, but then I'd just kick myself for not getting a 2022, even though a NEW S in 2019 was like $70k and now it's $97k the way I want (black), with shitty wheels. so add at least 3k to fix that.

For now I'm going to hold on to it, if I like the CyberTruck, I'll get a CyberTruck. If I don't like the truck, I'll get a new S. I'll most likely private sale the X when the time comes. Tesla trade-in on it is a joke.

I'm also going to explore the Rivian and Ford Lightning. I don't know if I can leave the safe bosom of Super Charging, but it's at least worth a test drive.
Trade in a joke. Ha.

Tesla is offering me $87,700 for my 2019 Moddl X LR. With tax credit that is like selling private for $93K. I managed to find someone selling a 2022 Model S reservation. It’s only gonna cost me $7500 total out of pocket to switch.

Trade in a joke. Ha.

Tesla is offering me $87,700 for my 2019 Moddl X LR. With tax credit that is like selling private for $93K. I managed to find someone selling a 2022 Model S reservation. It’s only gonna cost me $7500 total out of pocket to switch.

Seems unlikely.

Current delivery lead time for custom orders exceeds the validity period of our pre-order trade-in offers. You will be able to request an estimate once your order is placed and is approaching delivery. For quicker delivery, purchase an inventory vehicle.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Current delivery lead time for custom orders exceeds the validity period of our pre-order trade-in offers. You will be able to request an estimate once your order is placed and is approaching delivery. For quicker delivery, purchase an inventory vehicle.
I've had my 2018 uploaded for trade-in, for several months. Tesla sends me a note asking for the current mileage, and they raise the value of may trade-in.