Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 model x shows 328 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to a sales associate about a few use 2019 model access that they have. They say it’s only 328 miles because the 2020 models have 351 miles. I asked if you can do a simple software update to get the increase mileage and they said they do not believe so. Interview owners do this because I believe the battery size is still 100 kW

Wondering if owners with rev E was able to update to rev F themselves on this forum?

what do you mean with update? Buy an F pack, drop the E and mount the F?
Only if you have the skills and access to the software and all that stuff.
So i’d say no. And for what. That lousy couple of miles more?

I don‘t understand this compulsive behavior. The difference is only when the packs are brand new. First of all, this will equalize somewhat when the packs have been broken in and have lost a couple of percent range before settling (initial degradation). Then, the packs very slowly lose range. Bit by bit, year after year, mile after mile.
Unless of course you are a moron, supercharging very often and driving the car to the point where the battery is almost empty (very low SoC, below 10%) very often, then the pack will degrade much faster.

Those 351 miles of range is when the pack is new and when you charge to 100% and drive until it reaches 0%
Neither is realistic as it‘s very bad for any EV and Tesla’s are no exception. You only charge to 100% if absolutely necessary and the same goes for deep discharges. Both are to be avoided like the plague.

Current Tesla car batteries are best used with SoC‘s between 90 and 20%. That‘s how they last the longest and degrade the slowest. Who gives a wooden nickel about what range I have directly after purchase. One should care about the range you realistically have for the coming years that you own the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and dmurphy
The BTX6 is the 100kwh battery pack used in the long range S and X. It appears updates were made to the battery chemistry for rev F and who knows what else. These battery packs have more systems than I know, the actual battery cells are just one part. It's certainly possible updates where made to the thermal management parts of the pack or anything else. Tesla is just relentless on implementing improvements continually.

Last edited:
Current Tesla car batteries are best used with SoC‘s between 90 and 20%. That‘s how they last the longest and degrade the slowest. Who gives a wooden nickel about what range I have directly after purchase. One should care about the range you realistically have for the coming years that you own the car.

Agreed! Our Model 3 had 310 miles of rated range when brand new. Now, we're at almost 17,000 miles, 14 months old, and it's holding steady right now at 306. A whopping 1.29% drop. Of course I'm thrilled with that.

I set the vehicle at 90% and leave it plugged in anytime I'm home. Seems to be a winning combo.

Now that we have an X on the way, I expect to do the same with it. If I can start with 351 and honestly, even watch it drop 5% in the first year, that puts me at 333. More than plenty for the way we drive.

Reactions: X-pilot
@irvineboy To give you some perspective, my 2017 Model X P100DL+ was EPA rated at 289 miles of range at 100%. The other 100KW variant that year was the 2017 Model X 100D was EPA rated at 294 miles. After more than 3 years and 60,000 miles, I now get 273 miles at 100%, a loss of 16 miles of range or less than a 6% reduction in battery capacity. Tesla has continued to improve battery chemistry, energy density, software and the efficiency of the induction and permanent magnet motors so newer models get more range than I ever did. Likewise, since Tesla continuously implements changes to both hardware and software and does not wait until a model year to make the changes, the combination of hardware and software needed to achieve a particular performance improvement may not be present in all vehicles, even within the same production year. I’m VERY happy with my Model X but, like you, I would love more range. Unfortunately, I have AC induction motors front and rear and a 3-year old early revision 100KW battery pack. My best hope for more range in my current X is a higher energy density/capacity replacement batter pack in the future. This X is, BY FAR, the most fun vehicle I have ever owned! I hope you continue to enjoy your X and take some comfort in knowing you already get range I can only dream of... :)

No, I was under the impression that rev E and rev F were based on the same 100 kWh battery. I thought Tesla just did over the air software update to increase the range? Are you saying the rev F is actually a new battery completely?

Something changed between the E and F batteries, but I haven't seen details on what. Regardless, the software update for LR+ did not increase the range. It only increased the displayed range. The range was already there with the hardware improvements.

Agreed! Our Model 3 had 310 miles of rated range when brand new. Now, we're at almost 17,000 miles, 14 months old, and it's holding steady right now at 306. A whopping 1.29% drop. Of course I'm thrilled with that.

I set the vehicle at 90% and leave it plugged in anytime I'm home. Seems to be a winning combo.
Do the same with our 3. Similar age / miles. It indicates max range is 285.