Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 performance battery Vs 2021 performance battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if there is a difference in the batter of the new performance Vs the old performance and what the capacity of each is please?
Think the SR+ has a larger battery because it is a different cheaper type which also weighs more but thought that the performance batteries hadn't changed?

Performance wise I've not seen any head to heads but even if there were I suspect it will be quite complex. The heat pump in the 2021 in cooler weather will result in a cooler battery which will detract from its performance a little, but its larger capacity might improve it so I wouldn't be surprised if the older car is quicker in winter but slower in summer.

Reactions: m3p_uk
No one has a MIC 2021 Performance yet, so no one knows.

Tesla quote the current (late 2020 on?) M3P as having a 3.1 seconds 0-60 time, vs the old one being 3.2 seconds.

I suspect that any difference - if it exists - is essentially within the margin of error in reaction time / reproducability, etc one way or the other as to be a non-issue.

Reactions: Adopado
No one has a MIC 2021 Performance yet, so no one knows.

Tesla quote the current (late 2020 on?) M3P as having a 3.1 seconds 0-60 time, vs the old one being 3.2 seconds.

I suspect that any difference - if it exists - is essentially within the margin of error in reaction time / reproducability, etc one way or the other as to be a non-issue.

I did a few seasons of sprint hillclimbs sharing a car "turn about" with a friend. We were therefore able to compare our times with the same car on the same day. Admittedly we had no driver aids to manage traction like in a Tesla but a tenth of a second on the start phase was very easy to lose!!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

I think there is enough evidence that the Freemont Performance cars have a larger battery. All things being otherwise equal, this would allow more power to be pulled from the car as for the same C rating, maximum power is a factor of the battery size. Whether this explains the 0.1 seconds though I have no idea.

In the world of battery RC models, the batteries with higher C rating generally cost more but do allow more power to be charged or discharged. In the world of Tesla, I suspect within the same battery pack types, they are using the same C rating across the board.