Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Raven, can I manually open the charge door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I’ve seen references on all Teslas that if you tap the charge door in the right spot it will open. But I can’t seem to get that to happen. Does my car have that option?

It’s build in Sept 2019.

I think the rubber bumper behind the door is a button.

Is there an option to enable it? Is mine broken?

open-charge-port.jpg

That rubber bumper is in fact a button.

The important thing to note is that the button is adjustable. So make sure you rotate the button twisting it to the left to make sure it can be pressed. This also helps to align the charge port door with the side of the vehicle, so it's not sticking out or closes too far into the car's body:

charge-port-button.jpg

Also, the button was recently enabled, with firmware 2020.48.12, to be able to unlatch the charge cable when your car is unlocked. According to the release notes: "This may be particularly useful when charging with charge cables that don't have a release button on the connector handle".
unlatch.png

Last edited:
I’ve seen references on all Teslas that if you tap the charge door in the right spot it will open. But I can’t seem to get that to happen. Does my car have that option?

It’s build in Sept 2019.

Is there an option to enable it? Is mine broken?
My September 2019 Raven’s charging port door opens properly, so should yours. I didn’t realize that it was adjustable, however.

It is there. I use it many times when I don't want to try and hit the circle on the charging handle. For the MX it is in the lower left. Just have to lightly push and release.

what does the circle on the charging handle do? some kind of NFC broadcast? i've only ever pushed the button to stop charging. when i want to charge i usually just bump the charger against the charge port door (vs pressing it with my hand)

what does the circle on the charging handle do? some kind of NFC broadcast? i've only ever pushed the button to stop charging. when i want to charge i usually just bump the charger against the charge port door (vs pressing it with my hand)
I have found that all I have to do is approach the charge door (with the handle) and push the small button on top of the charge handle, and the door opens by itself.

And, of course, if you attach the handle to the port and then push the same button on the top 10 times, you will get a Rainbow Surprise!

I learn so much from these forums!

Mike P

The charge door release button on the handle is RFID, I believe? It's definitely not NFC... When I'm at a Supercharger, I can press the button when I grab hold of the charger and the charge door pops open.

I heard that if another vehicles is next to you (with charge door still closed), it'll open theirs, too... But, never been able to try.

The charge door release button on the handle is RFID, I believe? It's definitely not NFC... When I'm at a Supercharger, I can press the button when I grab hold of the charger and the charge door pops open.

I heard that if another vehicles is next to you (with charge door still closed), it'll open theirs, too... But, never been able to try.

now i know what i'm doing next time i charge ;)

FYI, I finally got the tap door function working. I did have to adjust it. If you unscrew it, it locks the button out and pushing it, it doesn’t move. Screw it in and it moves in and out and the door can push it as well.

All I can think of is if people don’t want to allow tapping door they can lock it by unscrewing that bumper button.

I was expecting to adjust button out so the door could hit. But adjusting it out locks it.

To the best of my knowledge, in anything other than older Model S's, the button will only open the charge port door if the vehicle is unlocked. IOW, most of the Teslas around you will not pop their charge port doors open most of the time (most Teslas around you in most scenarios where you could test this are likely not Model S, not unlocked, and/or already charging. FWIW, I'm unsure of the definition of "older" in this context. IIRC, the X charge port door would lock when the X was released, but a new S bought at the same time still wouldn't.