Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 SR+ to 2023 LR comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few observations now that I have my new 2023 made M3 LR.

White, with white interior. 18 inch wheels.

My previous Tesla was a 2019 M3 SR+. It was white with black interior. 51,000km at 147 wh/km. New set of tyres at 47,000km. Upper control arms replaced under warranty.

The LR is very bright inside. Looks and feels a real step up from the black interior.

The tyres on the LR were at 45psi when I picked it up. Give that I always ran the SR+ at 41 or 42 I would have expected the ride to be firmer. That’s not the case. The ride is noticeably smoother in the LR. The noise levels are much, much lower as well. Both road noise, and noise through the driver’s window. There was a lot of road noise in the SR+, particularly at highway speeds.

The ride quality in the LR is a significant step up from the SR+.

Steering is much sharper in the LR. No understeer, just goes where you point it. You can almost feel the car being pulled into the corner.

I haven’t had time to set up the sound system yet. Too much sub-woofer at the moment.

The fit and finish was very good in the SR+ but again, much better in the LR. The doors close with a solid thump.

The LR is quicker than the SR+, goes without saying. But that is not why I purchased it.

The SR+ came with a wall charger and a UMC. The LR has a UMC. Lucky me. New orders no UMC.

All this is to be expected given that the SR+ is three and a half years old. I would hope that things improve as time moves on. The improvements are significant and more than I expected.

I am not disappointed.

TBH Heat Pump isn't as relevant in Australia as our weather doesn't get that cold, unless you live in alpine areas.

I think some of the things noted were more related to the second motor acceleration/pull and the second motor's weigh changing the car balance.

• Disagree
Reactions: Burnt Toast
TBH Heat Pump isn't as relevant in Australia as our weather doesn't get that cold
Sorry, I disagree. There are plenty of places in Australia that get below zero over night.

We spend time in Canberra and Queanbeyan and I have had plenty of times when the car was covered in ice, about -8degC internally and the heat pump did a great job. Energy savings are noticeable.

I would be curious if it feels like a longer range car in driving..
Does the car feel heavier?
The new cars with heatpumps and octovalves should be better at heating and cooling no there is a lot more system?

I believe the dual motor cars are mainly RWD when driven on highways, etc until loss of traction or need for stronger acceleration for efficiency.
You do get better regen with dual motors, as there is literally two motors doing regen.

But yeah, I drove a friends RWD two weeks ago and it's noticeably different drive, from the lack of acceleration to as Harry said, in corners it just goes where you point it. I assume in the wet this is made even more apparent.

So yeah, i'd always recommend a dual motor

I believe the dual motor cars are mainly RWD when driven on highways, etc until loss of traction or need for stronger acceleration for efficiency.
You do get better regen with dual motors, as there is literally two motors doing regen.
AFAIK that is the case, the rwd motor is a perm magnet and is more efficient so hence why its basically always used for propulsion until front is required.

Normally with AWD cars the steering feel is reduced, even if its rear biased, and the car can feel heavier and a tad less agile. More power and more grip, but feels heavier.. I am just curious if this is the case with the model 3. From what it sounds like it seems very agile. I presume because EV AWD is much lighter penalty and most of the weight is still in the battery.

Hopefully I have my Long range in my hands next week. I hope because I have ~2500km run with it planned with the family the following week for Easter holidays. Dual motor performance, recharge, larger battery/longer range, faster recharge, better audio, seem like a decent upgrade over the already fairly nice RWD.

2021 RWD and 2022+ RWD are very different. There were multiple revisions of suspension and it's a different battery now as well?
I have a late 2022 RWD and it's extremely agile, more than I need. I cant justify the extra cost of the LR. The RWD is also slighty more energy efficient. I think both options are really great.

My daughter has a Jan 2023 M3 RWD. A very nice car. Very efficient. Low noise levels. I was amazed at the distance she can go compared with my SR+.
Doesn't quite have the same level of composure on the road as the LR. Is the LR worth the extra money? For me yes, for others, it's your choice.
I went the LR route for the extra range, nothing else. Had there been a RWD, single motor LR battery that's what I would have got.

Reactions: B.K.
I'm the opposite. My SR+ has ample range for me - I'd have loved to buy it with dual motors (and remain cheaper than the LR) if it were an option.
I suspect that doesn't exist because in order to build the battery to supply sufficient output to run the dual motors flat out, you need more cells, which just gives you a bigger battery, hence a LR. Output and storage size are correlated.

I suspect that doesn't exist because in order to build the battery to supply sufficient output to run the dual motors flat out, you need more cells, which just gives you a bigger battery, hence a LR. Output and storage size are correlated.
Yep, I suspect the same. Doesn't stop me from wishing though!

My SR+ would be pulling about 4C or so from the LFP pack at full stick. The Performance model is practically identical (with the older 75kwh version being closer to 4.5C).

A few observations now that I have my new 2023 made M3 LR.

White, with white interior. 18 inch wheels.

My previous Tesla was a 2019 M3 SR+. It was white with black interior. 51,000km at 147 wh/km. New set of tyres at 47,000km. Upper control arms replaced under warranty.

The LR is very bright inside. Looks and feels a real step up from the black interior.

The tyres on the LR were at 45psi when I picked it up. Give that I always ran the SR+ at 41 or 42 I would have expected the ride to be firmer. That’s not the case. The ride is noticeably smoother in the LR. The noise levels are much, much lower as well. Both road noise, and noise through the driver’s window. There was a lot of road noise in the SR+, particularly at highway speeds.

The ride quality in the LR is a significant step up from the SR+.

Steering is much sharper in the LR. No understeer, just goes where you point it. You can almost feel the car being pulled into the corner.

I haven’t had time to set up the sound system yet. Too much sub-woofer at the moment.

The fit and finish was very good in the SR+ but again, much better in the LR. The doors close with a solid thump.

The LR is quicker than the SR+, goes without saying. But that is not why I purchased it.

The SR+ came with a wall charger and a UMC. The LR has a UMC. Lucky me. New orders no UMC.

All this is to be expected given that the SR+ is three and a half years old. I would hope that things improve as time moves on. The improvements are significant and more than I expected.

I am not disappointed.
I was about to enter a question about comparisons of owners of 2023 to compare with 2019. I have a 4 year-old 2019 M3 LR and love it. Since mileage is creeping up, 56K, I’d consider getting the newest M3 LR. Are you experiencing more phantom breaking? Have you driven it in the rain to see if sensors are adequate for automatic wipers? What about your comparison of parking/curb sensors?

Are you experiencing more phantom breaking? Have you driven it in the rain to see if sensors are adequate for automatic wipers? What about your comparison of parking/curb sensors?
This is the Australian forum - all of those things are unchanged from the 2019 cars here (we still get USS for parking on the cars being delivered now).

I will say the heat pump and double-glazed windows seems to make a big difference on the climate control energy usage.

This is the Australian forum - all of those things are unchanged from the 2019 cars here (we still get USS for parking on the cars being delivered now).

I will say the heat pump and double-glazed windows seems to make a big difference on the climate control energy usage.
Interesting, I wish we still had it here. Thanks for your reply. Enjoy your car.

Reactions: Hairyman