Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 SR+ to a New Rear wheel drive base model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My 2019 SR+ is 3 years old. I am in year 3 of a 4 year PCP but am getting slightly itchy feet with it and am considering moving to a brand new all 'free' options - white & aero - (2023?) model which would be delivered within 3 - 6 months according to the site. The depreciation is good on mine, but between the final payment and the price rises, the new car will cost me more per month... but I have had a lot of issues with my SR+ and the idea of owning it without a warranty fills me with dread. I was always planning to wait, but between the economy sinking, interest rates rising and weak pound I wonder if it may actually be cheaper to get a new one now than in 12 months? Any thoughts?

I have a US made 2019 model which is rattly, bad shut lines, bad paint etc. I love the tech but its a poorly made vehicle. I assume I dont need to worry about any of those things anymore with the China built models?

My real world range is also nowhere near the quoted 254 miles, looks like the new model is a 15 - 20% increase over what I have now which would be lovely.

Does the new one come with the better sound system (sub included?). Anything else to consider?

Thank you!

A new RWD is going to be better in almost every way. Certainly better built (unless you are very unlucky and get one with an issue but would be sorted out under warranty). Better battery with more range and the ability to charge frequently to 100%, better sound proofing, heated rear seats/steering wheel, power boot, heat pump for better winter range.

Really the only thing worse is the acceleration performance. Audio I think is improved but you still don't get the sub.

Even if the list price is lowered, interest rates are only going up in the short to medium term so I'm not sure it would be any cheaper in 12 months - but obviously impossible to predict.

Pros:

-LFP battery which is said to last a million miles (or 5000 cycles), can hold 100% without consequence and has more range than the 2019.

-Likely has better build quality than 2019

-better headlights, heat pump, powered boot, rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, refreshed interior.

-Infotainment has an AMD Ryzen based CPU, meaning it’s faster.

Cons:

-Costs about £8-9k more than it did in 2019 (Crazy Inflation, huh?)

-Slightly slower 0-60 speed at 5.8s (vs 5.3).

-No more parking sensors. Currently no word on when the vision-based replacement will release and if it will match the reliability of the sensors.

-LFP battery rapid DC charges a little slower vs NCA. The curve is negligible above 50% between the two.

-LFP Battery does have some disadvantages in cold weather such as slower DC charging and limited regenerative braking. Can be mitigated with preconditioning.

How often do you do the 0-60?
Personally I have left it in chill and only use standard for friends.

It isn't just 0-60mph that could be different. That's just one common measure of its acceleration capability. It will likely also be slower from say 10 - 40mph, 30mph - 70mph etc. which are more common speed ranges you might run through in daily driving. For my own Model 3 (LR) , after opting for the Acceleration Boost the change in 0-60mph definitely doesn't tell you the full story, it makes a huge difference when you punch the accelerator whilst already rolling. I don't expect the difference between the SR+ and new Model 3 (RWD / base model) to be that dramatic and I agree the other factors should be given this weight, favouring the new Model 3 more heavily.

I haven't seen "the data" or more specifically acceleration curves for the SR+ and new Model 3 (RWD). Anecdotal comments from those who have tried both and are sensitive to acceleration differences seem to suggest it is slower off the line but once they're both up to speed they seem to have similar punch and acceleration.

Last edited:
Hi all,

My 2019 SR+ is 3 years old. I am in year 3 of a 4 year PCP but am getting slightly itchy feet with it and am considering moving to a brand new all 'free' options - white & aero - (2023?) model which would be delivered within 3 - 6 months according to the site. The depreciation is good on mine, but between the final payment and the price rises, the new car will cost me more per month... but I have had a lot of issues with my SR+ and the idea of owning it without a warranty fills me with dread. I was always planning to wait, but between the economy sinking, interest rates rising and weak pound I wonder if it may actually be cheaper to get a new one now than in 12 months? Any thoughts?

I have a US made 2019 model which is rattly, bad shut lines, bad paint etc. I love the tech but its a poorly made vehicle. I assume I dont need to worry about any of those things anymore with the China built models?

My real world range is also nowhere near the quoted 254 miles, looks like the new model is a 15 - 20% increase over what I have now which would be lovely.

Does the new one come with the better sound system (sub included?). Anything else to consider?

Thank you!
I'm in a similar position but the circa £10K to change to a largely similar car when I've only done 21,000 miles in the SR+ is something I'm struggling to justify.

Thanks for all the info everyone. My 2019 is a very badly made vehicle, which has soured me on the brand but when push comes to shove and I look at what’s out there it’s either going to be a new model 3 OR I keep mine going into year 5 and or 6… but so scared of owning this car without a warranty… wonder if Tesla sell extended warranties?

Thanks for all the info everyone. My 2019 is a very badly made vehicle, which has soured me on the brand but when push comes to shove and I look at what’s out there it’s either going to be a new model 3 OR I keep mine going into year 5 and or 6… but so scared of owning this car without a warranty… wonder if Tesla sell extended warranties?

They do indeed - Extended Warranty.