Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Subaru Crosstrek PHEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been hoping to see Subaru eventually go electric. EV range on this is lower than I expected, but nice that it is full-time AWD and includes X-Mode. I had asked about getting the PHEV Crosstrek and my local dealer said they don't expect any to make it to Colorado. They thought CARB states only. Too bad, they'd sell well here. I'll hold for a full EV Crosstrek or Forester in a few years.

How subaru has fallen, a decade ago subaru was the first mainstream automaker to release a lithium ion EV to the market. Chademo first EV was subaru stella EV.

Then toyota got 20% of subaru and it was all over.

Does this video say what plug-in range you could achieve if your goal was to 'never add any more gas to the tank'? I don't think they even mentioned the nominal ev range either. 'Plug-in only' operation probably would require skewing usage by staying below 65 mph to avoid engine operation, etc, such as has been done with the Plug-in Prius. Also does it come with fast dc charging? We could be waiting years before a BEV Forester exists, so this is the first PHEV that tempts me (there, I actually said it . . :rolleyes: ).

edit: 17 miles on battery operation, so sorry, never mind!
--

Last edited:
Seems auto companies much more similar to each other and almost none similar to Tesla.
2008 Tesla Roadster and see what Subaru was working on and GM EV1 crushing already history
(nice looking city electric car in my opinion)
So @RobStark seems correct - Subaru profits first; time horizon next quarter; no electrification plans yet

Electric version[edit]

In June 2008, Subaru unveiled an electric concept vehicle combining the Stella platform with the electric drive from the Subaru R1e,[1] which uses TEPCO lithium-ion batteries.[2]

It was showcased at the G8 Summit on July 7, 2008.[2] Fuji announced in June 2009 that it planned to sell 170 units through March 2010, primarily to fleet and government users in Japan, with deliveries beginning in late July.[3]

It was intended to be sold in the European Union starting September 2, 2010,[4] but never was.

more interesting details
Subaru Stella - Wikipedia

reminder: TEPCO - also owns Fukushima and many other Atomic Reactors.

Last edited:
Again, electrification as an afterthought, like MB they loaded the battery in the trunk. They should be scared, KIA/Hyundai will steal all their business with the EVs.
Maybe some folks don't want to go all in on an EV...especially with this segment of vehicle.

13.2 gal tank, ~30+ MPG, Hybrid, and a ~17 mile all EV range...sound pretty compelling when I don't have to worry about plugging in when I'm in the middle of nowhere. Carry a 1-5 gal can of gas and AWD...no range anxiety and no need to really plan my off road routes in the middle of nowhere.

Looks like someone is trying to make a Subaru PHEV the old-fashioned way... :)

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 5.44.30 PM.png