TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2019 Tesla Model 3 Hatchback

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dgindio, Apr 20, 2016.

1. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

I like it.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. nime01

nime01 Member

3. Sp4rky

Sp4rky Member

I'd buy that for a dolla...wait, tens of thousands of dollars!

4. TriNerd

TriNerd New Member

If they gave me the option to use my reservation on either version, I'd choose the hatchback in an instant.

• Like x 1
  5. Boourns

Boourns Member

Would rather have a true wagon.

6. pk-sd

pk-sd New Member

Looks like a Mazda 3 hatchback with Tesla door handles....not bad, because mazdas are nice looking cars.

7. lorih

lorih Member

Elon has said (tweet) it won't be a hatchback.

8. ElectroFroggy

ElectroFroggy Member

These would sell like hotcackes in Europe.

9. PTADO

PTADO Member

That's a great render. Kudos to whoever put in the work. Great design all-around.

10. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Imagine that while the Model 3 will initially come only as a 4 door with trunk (most popular in US), once that demand is satisfied that it will add a hatchback as well as a 2 door coupe to extend the line. Due to the marketplace it would not make sense to release the less popular hatchback design first.

11. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't know if Tesla will do a hatchback or wagon version any time soon. We know that they've got a 3 variation that's a crossover waiting in the wings (the so called Model Y, whatever it ends up being called.)

I'd think that most of the folks who want a hatchback or wagon could be persuaded to take the crossover if they won't take the sedan, and the crossover reaches out to regions of the market who wouldn't consider either one.

I'm thinking the wagon version is probably with the 2nd generation Roadster and the notional Pickup truck in the priority stack, somewhere in the 2020-2025 timeframe.

12. rv1458

rv1458 Member

I agree, I think the crossover version will satisfy those that want a hatchback. Yes, it will sit slightly higher than the 3, and look a little more like a crossover, but I suspect these will both be kept to a minimum for aerodynamics. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up looking more like a cross between a crossover and a wagon. (I think that technically makes it 25% suv and 75% wagon, since crossovers are basically a wagon crossed with an suv!)

Basically just take the picture above and give it about 1.5 inches of additional ground clearance, and an additional 3 inches through the body and you have the Model 3 crossover.

• Like x 1
  13. Jayc

Jayc Member

We have a fantastic car in the model 3 that was revealed yet people want one thing or another changed, I just don't get it. Now the concept itself and the model s before that would be a part of a very long strategy devised by a group of very clever people at Tesla. Why people think Tesla will side step their plan and do something different just because someone came up with a modified rendering is completely beyond me have to say.

14. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Believe that Elon has said that there is intent to produce a cross over on the Model 3 chassis. Will be several years away, but think that would be a smart alternative to slow selling (in USA) hatchbacks.

15. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

Not that it matters to me but;

Maybe the current prototype could be a hatch back... here's how. (Pure Speculation)
    If the rear glass popped open and moved with the trunk it would reduce the height of a "one piece" structure. Think = Double hatch, one in side the other. Maybe that's why the trunk wasn't available for viewing on the Motor Trend Vid and why on a test drive (trunk shot) a Tesla employee said there was some prototype hardware inside, declining to show the trunk open more. Elon has said that you can get a bike in the trunk... and as it stands right now.... I don't think that's possible.

Just pure speculation and what I would do if I was an engineer at Tesla!... but I'm not :(
    As I've said in other posts the current trunk doesn't bother me.... Appears to be the same size as my Subaru Impreza Sedan, except I'm missing a FRUNK!

16. LectrikPower

LectrikPower Member

Yeessss! I have a 2002 Protege 5 and would love if Tesla came out with a wagon or hatch back 3:)