Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Tesla Model 3 SP - Vacation parked drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla Mode 3 Standard Plus (the older 2019 Model).

Planning to go on vacation for 4-5 weeks but need to leave the car parked in my condo parking garage (no access to wall outlet for charging).

Living in Northern California so the temp in December is usually around 55-65 F.

If I theoretically left the car parked with 95-100% charge, would it last for 30-35 days parked? Sentry mode would be off and I wouldn’t be checking the status of the car via the remote app.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Also, if it does get down to 0, is the car bricked? Or can Tesla revive it for me?

TIA

Planning to go on vacation for 4-5 weeks but need to leave the car parked in my condo parking garage (no access to wall outlet for charging).

Living in Northern California so the temp in December is usually around 55-65 F.

If I theoretically left the car parked with 95-100% charge, would it last for 30-35 days parked? Sentry mode would be off and I wouldn’t be checking the status of the car via the remote app.

Also, if it does get down to 0, is the car bricked? Or can Tesla revive it for me?

TIA
Watching 👀

It should easily last for 30-35 days parked. I certainly wouldn't leave it at >90% when you leave, either. Just make sure sentry and standby summon is off, and even turn the climate overheat protection to fan-only or off, if the car will get any notable sun(ya, its in a garage, but @Empty tank might not have theirs in a garage). Even at 60 outside, an hour in the sun will probably trigger COP.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
It should easily last for 30-35 days parked. I certainly wouldn't leave it at >90% when you leave, either. Just make sure sentry and standby summon is off, and even turn the climate overheat protection to fan-only or off, if the car will get any notable sun(ya, its in a garage, but @Empty tank might not have theirs in a garage). Even at 60 outside, an hour in the sun will probably trigger COP.
Thanks. What’s the reason for not leaving it over 90 parked? Is it due to battery degradation?

Thanks. What’s the reason for not leaving it over 90 parked? Is it due to battery degradation?
I want to know if it drops pass 0 what's the process? Will the battery become damaged or will it go into safe mode?

TIA

If you turn off all the "drain" items like sentry, cabin overheat protection, standby summon, and make sure you dont have some third party app that wakes up the car, you should be able to get to an average of <3 miles a day drain. that means 30 days should be around 90 miles or less. You should be fine, as long as you make sure all that stuff is off.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, its generally accepted that the battery shouldn't be left at 100% for long periods. If you park at 100 with minimal losses, it'll take ~10 days or more to even reach down to 90. That's unnecessary stress, when your 35 day trip will only take ~100 miles of range. You could do 70-40% while you are gone and the car would still have lots of reserves.

If the battery drains too low, it’s not a big deal. The car will fully shut down, reducing vampire drain to zero. The 12v battery will probably fully discharge, which may make it difficult to get into the car when you get home, and may require a $150 12v battery replacement. If you don’t have access to a charger, you may have to have the car towed to the nearest charger/supercharger.
But, none of that is likely to occur with a 5 week vacation. One thing you might want to do between now and when you leave is park the car for two days, Sentry and Summon off, and see how much battery you lose. Should be relatively straightforward to extrapolate to 35 days.

when you leave is park the car for two days, Sentry and Summon off, and see how much battery you lose. Should be relatively straightforward to extrapolate to 35 days.
Good suggestion.

Just remember when doing this to ignore the first day. Capture data starting after 24 hours (unless of course the first day result clearly shows the car is misconfigured, with 15-20 miles gone).

On the first day (or even the first 12 hours), it’s quite common to gain a few miles, or lose several extra miles. So you want to ignore that, as it is not representative.