Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 to latest Model 3 - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference is weird then, I wonder what's going on. They are still assessing the photos I uploaded against my offer, there's no damage that should decrease the offer though.
I wasn't sure what to report for accident damage... someone scraped round \ broke my front bumper last year and so their insurance paid for a new one to be fitted and resprayed at an approved Tesla bodyshop - so do I class that as 'accident - minor damage' (as it was damaged and Tesla should be aware of that) or as no accident (as it was repaired back to 'new' by the approved bodyshop)? I put down that it had minor damage, but perhaps that was wrong?

Last edited:
I wasn't sure what to report for accident damage... someone scraped round \ broke my front bumper last year and so their insurance paid for a new one to be fitted and resprayed at an approved Tesla bodyshop - so do I class that as minor damage (as it was damaged and Tesla should be aware of that) or as no damage (as it was repaired back to new by the approved bodyshop)? I put down that it had been damaged, but perhaps thats wrong?
update: I've just run the quote again with 'no accidents' and the price hasn't changed. Perhaps that's due to the 7 day quote period?

I'm in this exact position and have just bitten the bullet. Gone from 2019 M3P to a LR. I purchased it using PCP and the equity i have built up is a lot more than the deposit i initially paid for mine so i'm benefitting from a brand new car and paying around £40/month less than what i'm currently paying.

Buying a new car to save money - only with Tesla 😆

I've looked at this as a 2019 M3P owner and I suspect the delta for getting a new version would not really be justifiable in my case. I only have 12k miles on the car, it's got full PPF and "mint" condition. It was one of the good ones build wise too. I've also travelled in a 2021 version and to be honest the difference is minimal in my opinion. The road noise seems very similar and the interior, save for a few cosmetic touches, is very close too. I think the "old" battery tech may also be better for the M3P, but not sure where I picked that up and I may be off the mark. Not having the automatic boot is zero hardship for me, same with a heated steering wheel and fancier headlights - I have no issue with the 2019 version from a practical perspective.

So overall, little point me changing at the moment. I may have a look at a Y in a year or so's time or indeed other manufacturers depending on what's going on with the various charging networks. I suspect there may be new battery tech along by then too. All that said, I can see why the non-M3P owners are giving it serious consideration.

My lease expires in December of this year (M3P), and I'm looking at other options, mainly because of the noise levels in the Tesla, and to a lesser extent the ride. I didn't 'click' with the BMW i4 M50, so looking elsewhere. I'm very interested in this, although of course the test drive is all important. Geely are a huge company, owning Volvo, Polestar, Lotus and a large part of Daimler. Twin motors, full air suspension with adaptive dampers, HUD and two screens, and performance similar to the M3P. Also a 100kwh battery option.

Reactions: Durzel
I've looked at this as a 2019 M3P owner and I suspect the delta for getting a new version would not really be justifiable in my case. I only have 12k miles on the car, it's got full PPF and "mint" condition. It was one of the good ones build wise too. I've also travelled in a 2021 version and to be honest the difference is minimal in my opinion. The road noise seems very similar and the interior, save for a few cosmetic touches, is very close too. I think the "old" battery tech may also be better for the M3P, but not sure where I picked that up and I may be off the mark. Not having the automatic boot is zero hardship for me, same with a heated steering wheel and fancier headlights - I have no issue with the 2019 version from a practical perspective.

So overall, little point me changing at the moment. I may have a look at a Y in a year or so's time or indeed other manufacturers depending on what's going on with the various charging networks. I suspect there may be new battery tech along by then too. All that said, I can see why the non-M3P owners are giving it serious consideration.
Yeah i think going from P to P doesn't make much sense as the difference will be tiny as you say.

I'm over the initial thrill of the 3second 0-60 stuff. The LR is still plenty quick so until i make the move to the S/X in a few years i think, for my circumstances, the LR makes sense :)

And the saving is actually close to £100/month (i forgot to discount the interest from the outstanding balance on finance).

Now just need to take pics tomorrow and hope everything is okay.

Question for all who have used the trade in option - wheel scuffs (still hurts as it only happened last month - the first time in two years of ownership!), and minor chips in the paint. Are these classed as wear and tear? Or do i need to note these as damage in their trade in form?

Hi all - pondering whether or not it's worth considering trading in my Sept 2019 Model 3 LR (16k miles) for the latest version. My 3 is in fine condition other than a couple of kerb rashes on the wheels :rolleyes: and it has lifetime premium connectivity. Trade in value seems reasonable just now hence the question. I'd really like to hear from anyone who has made this change and whether or not they found it worthwhile - heat pump efficiency impact on range, double glazed glass impact on wind/road noise etc? I'd like to understand if there is any real benefit in changing. I could consider a Model Y instead, might be better for travelling with the dog, although he's happy enough in the back seat of the 3.
Definitely worth the trade and I would recommend the Y with all the new toys and perhaps new batteries. But simply because it is SO much easier to get in and out of. "Once you have a Y, you will say Y didn't I this sooner?".

Reactions: roadcred
Yeah i think going from P to P doesn't make much sense as the difference will be tiny as you say.

I'm over the initial thrill of the 3second 0-60 stuff. The LR is still plenty quick so until i make the move to the S/X in a few years i think, for my circumstances, the LR makes sense :)

And the saving is actually close to £100/month (i forgot to discount the interest from the outstanding balance on finance).

Now just need to take pics tomorrow and hope everything is okay.

Question for all who have used the trade in option - wheel scuffs (still hurts as it only happened last month - the first time in two years of ownership!), and minor chips in the paint. Are these classed as wear and tear? Or do i need to note these as damage in their trade in form?
They were fussy about pictures being good light and quality so they should be able to see the wheel scuffs but either way it’s going to be a small amount relative to total so I’d not consider adding anything

This thread has temped me to get a trade in quote on my 2019 LR, which is £42.4k - but to get the equivalent model new is £52.6k. My car sounds similar to the initial poster. I'd like the enhanced new version and to start my warranty again but at £10k I'm not sure it is worth it. Although £4k per year depreciation is great for such a car, for me it is still a big outlay to renew a perfectly usable and reliable, if a bit noisy, car.

I could go to the SR+ at £45.6k to get similar usable range to my current car, but I think I'd notice the performance difference. :(

Looks like I've missed the peak 2nd hand prices, so will just keep a watch on the continuous improvements Tesla are making until I feel the new model justifies the refresh cost at that time... and have to hope the current car doesn't plummet in value at 3 years old.

Interesting thread though, good points made.

Having posed the question, I am reaching the same conclusion given the price delta to upgrade. Mine still has almost a couple of years warranty left, so unless I’m blown away by a test drive of the latest 3 or Y I will probably keep it for another 18-24 months or so and see if any more significant improvements come along in that time.

Really??? I have a Sept 21 M3P and a friend of mine has a Sept 19 M3P. I honestly can’t notice any difference in the levels of wind noise. Both are dreadfully and unacceptably noisy, though a lot of it is also tyre noise.
I have it in mind that replacing my M3P with a newer one when the lease expires is an option. After seeing this, the option is dwindling more and more. There are other choices now. Electrifying.com have just tested the M3 and the BMW i4 together and came to the conclusion that the i4 is their preferred option. I really do like the look and specs of the Zeekr 001.

Really??? I have a Sept 21 M3P and a friend of mine has a Sept 19 M3P. I honestly can’t notice any difference in the levels of wind noise. Both are dreadfully and unacceptably noisy, though a lot of it is also tyre noise.

Interesting on the noise front. The double glazed glass appears to have made little difference based on comments and reviews I've seen.

One thing I do NOT know though is whether or not the Model 3 is any better or worse than other EVs in this respect? I quite like the Hyundai Ioniq 5, the Volvo XC40 Recharge and a few other non Tesla EVs and will likely consider them when I do come to replace my 2019 Model 3. My expectation is that they'd be better in terms of noise, but it's an assumption based on no evidence whatsoever. PS. And then I'll probably get another Tesla anyway due to the supercharger network :)

Having posed the question, I am reaching the same conclusion given the price delta to upgrade. Mine still has almost a couple of years warranty left, so unless I’m blown away by a test drive of the latest 3 or Y I will probably keep it for another 18-24 months or so and see if any more significant improvements come along in that time.
I've wobbled between wondering about buying a new M3P and chopping in my existing one (2020 M3P), mainly because of the various upgrades that have come along. In my case the delta is between 10-14k depending on whether I bought FSD again (that turned out to be a poor decision, especially now that EAP exists).

That said, when I was looking into doing this seriously a few months ago - had I pulled the trigger then I would have missed the Ryzen MCU. People buying now will miss out on whatever 4680 brings, if that's not that far away. There might be new colours if/when Model 3s start coming from Berlin. There's always going to be updates and some might be significant, so whilst there is never a perfect time to buy when you have a perfectly functional car already I think missing out on stuff because you picked the wrong time to pull the trigger might feel all the more niggling. I wouldn't want buyers remorse after such a move.

That said - if you're on PCP then you're probably in a better situation than was anticipated when the loan was taken out, due to the parts shortage, etc, so as long as you're happy to extend the term then it seems like a no-brainer to keep refreshing the car. That is after all what people tend to do with PCP anyway.

Last edited:
My expectation is that they'd be better in terms of noise, but it's an assumption based on no evidence whatsoever. PS. And then I'll probably get another Tesla anyway due to the supercharger network
Having driven the BMW i4, I can confirm that it's a lot quieter than the Model 3 (although I personally didn't 'click' with the car). Much better ride too. Supercharger network is already starting to open up to other EV's.

Interesting on the noise front. The double glazed glass appears to have made little difference based on comments and reviews I've seen.

One thing I do NOT know though is whether or not the Model 3 is any better or worse than other EVs in this respect? I quite like the Hyundai Ioniq 5, the Volvo XC40 Recharge and a few other non Tesla EVs and will likely consider them when I do come to replace my 2019 Model 3. My expectation is that they'd be better in terms of noise, but it's an assumption based on no evidence whatsoever. PS. And then I'll probably get another Tesla anyway due to the supercharger network :)
look at volvo's range... 220 miles reported. real world range is under 200 miles.
Ioniq 5 interior plastics are quite squeaky to be fair.

I have it in mind that replacing my M3P with a newer one when the lease expires is an option. After seeing this, the option is dwindling more and more. There are other choices now. Electrifying.com have just tested the M3 and the BMW i4 together and came to the conclusion that the i4 is their preferred option. I really do like the look and specs of the Zeekr 001.
That review was so superficial, sadly like most of Electrifying. So what's the BMW Navigation and charging integration like, what range does it really achieve, what charging speeds is it really capable of through the range ? Is there an app? Can you schedule charging ? They were wrong about towing, wrong about the charge speed, made noting of the difference in price between a LR and a BMW with same level of features.
They only choose their winners based on which thumbnails will get them the most views.

That review was so superficial, sadly like most of Electrifying. So what's the BMW Navigation and charging integration like, what range does it really achieve, what charging speeds is it really capable of through the range ? Is there an app? Can you schedule charging ? They were wrong about towing, wrong about the charge speed, made noting of the difference in price between a LR and a BMW with same level of features.
They only choose their winners based on which thumbnails will get them the most views.
that's true. although - there is an app and charging integration, and you can schedule charging though :)