Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Used Bolt for $25k vs. 2014 Tesla S for $30k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seeing 2019 Bolt's with less than 10k miles going for about $25k, I've been looking at 2014 Tesla S for around $30k. The payment on the Bolt would be more affordable (and it's much newer). I'd be giving up free supercharging and Tesla batteries, etc. but getting better range with the Bolt.

I asked a similar question on this board last summer, so you might be able to find that thread by searching. I decided against a ~$30k used MS due to lack of AP, lack of warranty, and potential repair costs. I still haven't bought anything as I'm waiting for a few things:
  1. Prices to fall on used 2017 Bolts. The car hasn't changed much at all since its inception, and the batteries are proving to be remarkably durable. There will be tens of thousands coming off lease starting next spring/summer, so I'm curious how low prices will fall. Personally, I'd like to grab a Premier with under 36k miles (for a bit of bumper to bumper warranty) for around $20k.
  2. See if prices on used M3 fall at all. If I could get into one of those for around $30k it would definitely challenge my thinking.
  3. Pricing and real world performance on the Rav4 Prime. Although I wanted to go full electric, with the full tax credit and the announced specs on this one, I think it's a definite competitor for my first foray into BEV.

I asked a similar question on this board last summer, so you might be able to find that thread by searching. I decided against a ~$30k used MS due to lack of AP, lack of warranty, and potential repair costs. I still haven't bought anything as I'm waiting for a few things:
  1. Prices to fall on used 2017 Bolts. The car hasn't changed much at all since its inception, and the batteries are proving to be remarkably durable. There will be tens of thousands coming off lease starting next spring/summer, so I'm curious how low prices will fall. Personally, I'd like to grab a Premier with under 36k miles (for a bit of bumper to bumper warranty) for around $20k.
  2. See if prices on used M3 fall at all. If I could get into one of those for around $30k it would definitely challenge my thinking.
  3. Pricing and real world performance on the Rav4 Prime. Although I wanted to go full electric, with the full tax credit and the announced specs on this one, I think it's a definite competitor for my first foray into BEV.

any news on the Rav4 Prime? Debating what to replace our highlander/2nd car with a PHEV

rdskill, can you send some of your delusion about EVs being magically immune to problems my way?
In the month since I made the post you disagreed with my car has developed signs the MCU memory is on the way out.
2.5 years 30k miles.
$800 4 year maintenance
$220 12volt
$600 TPMS system failure that disabled the car
$400 battery heater that disabled the car(goodwilled)
$700 in brakes I did the labor.
$1200 front suspension work due to wear not an impact.
One of the chargers (dual) is down a phase paid them $300 to swap it to the slave position quote was $2200 to replace, car can not pull full 80amps due to this.
Now if the MCU is confirmed as on it's way out that will be another $2000.

This is all from 65-95kmiles on a well cared for car.
Love the car, no plans to get rid of it but the idea they are trouble free is an outright delusion.
Yes an electric motor is more simple than an engine and transmission, but the chargers are a lot more complex than a gas cap.
The chargegate/batterygate stuff is an issue too as it appears Tesla was aggressive with battery parameters and had to scale way back.
Software "updates" cost a lot of us 10-15miles of range and cut supercharging rates basically in half making for a big compromise in road trip worthiness.

This will be the class is S a person can get into for $30k, and based on my experience you probably need to be able to spend a couple few thousand a year on repairs after that.

Again experience not delusions of someone who bought a new car more recently.

Reactions: Yurand and cwerdna
I know too well they are not maintenance free. But...not all used cars have the same maintenance requirements when purchased is all I was getting at. And not all used cars are sold at a lower price for maintenance reasons.

Buying used cars is always a risk. You need both knowledge and luck. And never believe a clean Car Fax report and never buy version 1.

Tesla just raised the SC charge rate for SR+ from 100 KW to 170KW. I'd prefer it stayed at 100Kw. But I rarely have to go to those anymore and charge daily on a 20 amp outlet at work.

A $30k S is going to cost more in repairs.
EVs do need maintenance and repairs

BUT, not much. As far as I know (having driven Model Ss for 7 years) there simply is not any maintenance. Other than windshield wipers and fluid, I've done nothing. Not even cleaned out the carburetor. Don't know what "repairs" would be required for an S either, unless you're fixing rock dings, and they happen even when new. And since you're saving all that money, you should be able to afford a few MINOR repairs. There isn't even brake maintenance or repair, as it uses regen so much.

I tend to agree that what you'll be looking at is the beautiful curves of an S or the, uh, boxy curves of a Bolt.

I'd like to see a list of all the MAINTENANCE and REPAIRS a $30K S will need as compared to a Bolt.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
BUT, not much. As far as I know (having driven Model Ss for 7 years) there simply is not any maintenance. Other than windshield wipers and fluid, I've done nothing. Not even cleaned out the carburetor. Don't know what "repairs" would be required for an S either, unless you're fixing rock dings, and they happen even when new. And since you're saving all that money, you should be able to afford a few MINOR repairs. There isn't even brake maintenance or repair, as it uses regen so much.

I tend to agree that what you'll be looking at is the beautiful curves of an S or the, uh, boxy curves of a Bolt.

I'd like to see a list of all the MAINTENANCE and REPAIRS a $30K S will need as compared to a Bolt.
You've never changed nor rotated the tires?

Have you forgotten about your repairs and visits to service which I've pointed to at 2017 Model 3 Reliability and Car and Driver suffers Model 3 failure on 12/25, but car told them about it remotely?
I'm seeing 2019 Bolt's with less than 10k miles going for about $25k,
New 2020 Bolts (259 mile EPA range rating) with DC FC supposedly start at $25,235 at New Chevrolet Bolt EV Vehicles for Sale in Gaithersburg, MD - Criswell Chevrolet. I hear they're a legit dealer but I'm not on that side of the country. If legit, you could then take the $1875 Federal tax credit (Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars).

Last edited: