TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2019 X ghost door opening

Discussion in 'Model X' started by LasVegas2019, Dec 31, 2019.

1. LasVegas2019

LasVegas2019 Member

So I originally owned a 2016 Model X. Loved it except for problem with the doors. We would lock the X and go in to the mall and when we came out the doors would be open! WOW! So I thought it might be me pressing the key FOB in my pocket so I bought a key FOB box to make sure nothing could press on it in my pocket. Still happened so it wasnt me. Fast forward to today and I found a new 2019 X at a Tesla store in inventory. The salesman said that my problem with the doors randomly opening was not uncommon and that Tesla has since fixed that issue. Can anyone here verify that is true? Any other refinements that the 2019 will have over my 2016?

2. forkee

forkee Member

I call BS. for them to say it's common, they would be out of business with thousands of X doors randomly opening up. The negative publicity would bankrupt Tesla. There would be some sort of service bulletin addressing this issue with a recall and replace of defective parts on older affected models. Sounds like he just wanted you to buy new. We have two '16 Xs and neither ever had that issue. I suspect it is the fob. button hardware may be shorting. did you try just leaving it at home and unlocking/starting car with phone app? that would isolate it as a fob issue right away (well, after a long enough time to determine. i don't know how frequent this is an issue for you)

• Like x 3
  3. xKRSx

xKRSx Member

We have a Mid Year 2018 X and we had the falcon wing doors open up in the parking lot on their own two times. One time it was on a rainy day. We have not had that issue occur ever since and guessed it was just being careful with the Fob in our pocket or my wife's purse. A friend of mine a month or so back showed me a picture of an X in the parking lot with it's falcon wing door open with nobody in it and asked me why someone would just leave it open.

4. teethdood

teethdood Member

My late 2018 MX's passenger side FWD did this ghost opening a few times in the past. I thought it was my key fob protector being too tight causing the FWD button to be pressed. My driver side FWD then developed a different issue (phantom obstacle) due to a loose sensor that was fixed at a service appointment. During that service appointment, they pulled the logs for the passenger FWD as well. They couldn't find any signal from my key fob during the time of the ghost opening occurrence. They mentioned that other owners reported the same ghost opening issue and that it would be fixed in the next software update. It's been a while now since my last ghost opening, so I guess the software fixed it, but apparently not for you.

5. rush6410

rush6410 Member

I had the same issue with my Oct build 16'. It was the door latch that caused the problem and was replaced. The latch would not feed back to the car which position the door was in. I have not had the issue for several years now. So, if they mean it has be fixed, yes by replacing and updating the door latches.

6. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

I definitely had a problem with fob in pocket. I got a lanyard, like tradeshows, and keep the fob on my neck under my shirt.

7. LasVegas2019

LasVegas2019 Member

Thanks for all the feedback. So this random sampling shows there was some issue in the past. Glad to know it wasn;t just my X.