Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 X ghost door opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I originally owned a 2016 Model X. Loved it except for problem with the doors. We would lock the X and go in to the mall and when we came out the doors would be open! WOW! So I thought it might be me pressing the key FOB in my pocket so I bought a key FOB box to make sure nothing could press on it in my pocket. Still happened so it wasnt me. Fast forward to today and I found a new 2019 X at a Tesla store in inventory. The salesman said that my problem with the doors randomly opening was not uncommon and that Tesla has since fixed that issue. Can anyone here verify that is true? Any other refinements that the 2019 will have over my 2016?

I call BS. for them to say it's common, they would be out of business with thousands of X doors randomly opening up. The negative publicity would bankrupt Tesla. There would be some sort of service bulletin addressing this issue with a recall and replace of defective parts on older affected models. Sounds like he just wanted you to buy new. We have two '16 Xs and neither ever had that issue. I suspect it is the fob. button hardware may be shorting. did you try just leaving it at home and unlocking/starting car with phone app? that would isolate it as a fob issue right away (well, after a long enough time to determine. i don't know how frequent this is an issue for you)

We have a Mid Year 2018 X and we had the falcon wing doors open up in the parking lot on their own two times. One time it was on a rainy day. We have not had that issue occur ever since and guessed it was just being careful with the Fob in our pocket or my wife's purse. A friend of mine a month or so back showed me a picture of an X in the parking lot with it's falcon wing door open with nobody in it and asked me why someone would just leave it open.

My late 2018 MX's passenger side FWD did this ghost opening a few times in the past. I thought it was my key fob protector being too tight causing the FWD button to be pressed. My driver side FWD then developed a different issue (phantom obstacle) due to a loose sensor that was fixed at a service appointment. During that service appointment, they pulled the logs for the passenger FWD as well. They couldn't find any signal from my key fob during the time of the ghost opening occurrence. They mentioned that other owners reported the same ghost opening issue and that it would be fixed in the next software update. It's been a while now since my last ghost opening, so I guess the software fixed it, but apparently not for you.

I had the same issue with my Oct build 16'. It was the door latch that caused the problem and was replaced. The latch would not feed back to the car which position the door was in. I have not had the issue for several years now. So, if they mean it has be fixed, yes by replacing and updating the door latches.

So I originally owned a 2016 Model X. Loved it except for problem with the doors. We would lock the X and go in to the mall and when we came out the doors would be open! WOW! So I thought it might be me pressing the key FOB in my pocket so I bought a key FOB box to make sure nothing could press on it in my pocket. Still happened so it wasnt me. Fast forward to today and I found a new 2019 X at a Tesla store in inventory. The salesman said that my problem with the doors randomly opening was not uncommon and that Tesla has since fixed that issue. Can anyone here verify that is true? Any other refinements that the 2019 will have over my 2016?

I definitely had a problem with fob in pocket. I got a lanyard, like tradeshows, and keep the fob on my neck under my shirt.

I have a 2018X. When pulling into our garage, I always let kids out of car before pulling in. Doors are set to specific height at this location as well. In this incident, I only had a front passenger. After letting him out, I proceeded to pull forward and heard a loud noise and my garage door fell off the tract in front of me. I assumed the door opener had failed but when I exited the car, I discovered that the driver side falcon door was fully open, crashing into the garage door, pulling it off the track. I have not doubt that door ghost opened. There was no beeping alert, and as we all know, it's very hard to drive off while the doors are even a tad open. The screen was totally normal, and I HAD NO PASSENGER in back, so no reason for door to be open. AND, it doesn't even usually extend that high, due to it being limited in that location. In addition, the key fob was laying flat, noting that could have accidentally bumped it.
Telsa investigation says door was recalled from the screen, so took no responsibility. Even if that were the case, why no alarm and why no alarm shown on their end. Garage door needs total replacement, and car repair was 2K. I'm fully capable of taking responsibility, providing I did it! It would be interesting to know if anyone else has a similar experience....