Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.11.1 rolling out...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started using the new autopilot feature on city streets. Very impressive, although the software currently requires me to use the gear stalk or accelerator at every intersection to avoid stopping, even if the signal is green. Will this software version learn to avoid slowing down at intersections when the light is green?

No, it is going to take a long time of people "confirming" the light is the color the car thinks it is before they will remove the confirmation pedal/stalk press. Its annoying, but safety is more important.

No, it is going to take a long time of people "confirming" the light is the color the car thinks it is before they will remove the confirmation pedal/stalk press. Its annoying, but safety is more important.
I was doing fine on autopilot around town yesterday on local roads until I approached a UPS truck on the right shoulder of a 40 MPH road. No oncoming cars so I was hoping it would cross the double yellow line to go around it. Nope! So I jerked the wheel to the left and autopilot disengaged. But too late... it automatically slammed on the brakes as I passed the UPS truck and the guy behind me almost slammed into me. I wonder if I had put on my blinker if it would have passed the truck.
But my take away from this for those of us beta testing is to this is to be extra safe and alert. I take seriously the legal disclaimer I must agree to when engaging it. I am now proactively disengaging autopilot in questionable situations.
MY/LR/AWD/FSD/20” wheels/blue & black/12.11.1 software

I was doing fine on autopilot around town yesterday on local roads until I approached a UPS truck on the right shoulder of a 40 MPH road. No oncoming cars so I was hoping it would cross the double yellow line to go around it. Nope! So I jerked the wheel to the left and autopilot disengaged. But too late... it automatically slammed on the brakes as I passed the UPS truck and the guy behind me almost slammed into me. I wonder if I had put on my blinker if it would have passed the truck.
But my take away from this for those of us beta testing is to this is to be extra safe and alert. I take seriously the legal disclaimer I must agree to when engaging it. I am now proactively disengaging autopilot in questionable situations.
MY/LR/AWD/FSD/20” wheels/blue & black/12.11.1 software

Don’t try to go through a round about either.

Reactions: X-pilot
Don’t try to go through a round about either.
Roundabouts are rare here in MA. But their much larger cousins, rotaries or traffic circles, with multiple lanes, higher speeds and lane changes allowed within the rotary are common here. They are confusing and challenging for most experienced human drivers. It’s going to be interesting to try both types with autopilot.

Reactions: X-pilot
Caveat: Don't have my MY yet so I'm only going off the numerous traffic control videos already posted but this is one of the most important considerations for me: Those traffic control "confirmations" are human and the timing is therefore going to be variable. If a given confirmation is issued 300 feet out because the light is currently green but it turns yellow an instant later making a safe crossing iffy, what is the neural net actually learning from that. I have other questions about how this will improve over time for city driving (and excited to see it do so) but this one is key for me.

I just got this update and went for a drive expecting to see it stop at stop signs and lights... however... neither the release notes nor the car actually had any mention or inclination of doing this.

I have FSD but I still have the 2018 computer in my model 3. It’s possible I drove before I got a map update but the release notes didn’t mention anything about automatic stopping.

I’ll certainly check back. I came from version 2020.12.5 and I do see traffic cones then and now even though those didn’t used to show on my hardware.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

I just got this update and went for a drive expecting to see it stop at stop signs and lights... however... neither the release notes nor the car actually had any mention or inclination of doing this.

I have FSD but I still have the 2018 computer in my model 3. It’s possible I drove before I got a map update but the release notes didn’t mention anything about automatic stopping.

I’ll certainly check back. I came from version 2020.12.5 and I do see traffic cones then and now even though those didn’t used to show on my hardware.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

What autopilot hardware shows up in your “additional vehicle information” screen?
If it’s just 2.5, this explains why you don’t see the new feature. You’ll need the FSD computer, which you should be eligible for a free upgrade since you bought FSD software.

Reactions: empiredown
Just downloaded 2020.12.11.1 however has a note that latest maps must be installed before traffic light stopping will work. Anyone know a trick for getting the latest map software?
Good WiFi plus patience.

I got FSD hardware retrofit installed today. When I got home the vehicle downloaded both the map update and 2020.12.11.1 which totaled 10.3 GB

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 20.06.50.png

Last edited:
Do you have release notes? got the update as well haven't installed yet. Seems like a pretty big version jump, and only available to Ys

I did it remotely and haven't looked in the car yet. From everything I've seen, it's more in line with the other cars and has the redone Toy box UI, able to format your USB drive for the dash cam, filter super charger stations by power and improved Backgammon game.

Just started using the new autopilot feature on city streets. Very impressive, although the software currently requires me to use the gear stalk or accelerator at every intersection to avoid stopping, even if the signal is green. Will this software version learn to avoid slowing down at intersections when the light is green?

I was driving around last night and for the first time that I can recall there was no pause or hesitation rolling through an intersection with a green light. Didn't have to hit the stalk.

I was driving around last night and for the first time that I can recall there was no pause or hesitation
rolling through an intersection with a green light. Didn't have to hit the stalk.
I would be interested to know what would happen when the light turn yellow?

In particular how close from the intersection the car should stop or not or how long after the color change the car should stop,
and how brutal should the car stop so the car would not intrude or stay in middle of the intersection,
or if the car should detect if there is another car behind before deciding to stop or accelerate when the sign turn yellow?

Note: In the city I live, all the traffic light cameras have been removed after a city bus hit a car and kill the driver who had stop at a yellow light.
In fact everyone started to be paranoiac after report that the yellow light delay had been changed from 4 second to 3 seconds...

Last edited:
The entire concept of judgement calls is going to be a big deal for self driving. It's easy to make a binary decision like should you stop or go, but when you have to decide between safely going through a yellow light or slamming on the brakes is something that we evaluate as a survival instinct based on past experiences. I doubt we will always agree with the choice the car made. The car may not care if kids are in the back seat and if the cement truck is just too close.

In fact everyone started to be paranoiac after report that the yellow light delay had been changed from 4 second to 3 seconds...
That's interesting, in California at least the law specifies the minimum yellow light time (mainly depending on speed limit). You can fairly easily get rid of any traffic camera red light ticket if the yellow light time is too short.

If the car can accurately determine the distance from the light at the point it turns yellow, it can calculate using the minimum yellow light time and current speed if it needs to stop or not. This has to be automatic as there is no way for the driver to timely acknowledge stopping or not in such a scenario. Question is of course what to do if there's a truck tailgating you...

I would be interested to know what would happen when the light turn yellow?

In particular how close from the intersection the car should stop or not or how long after the color change the car should stop,
and how brutal should the car stop so the car would not intrude or stay in middle of the intersection,
or if the car should detect if there is another car behind before deciding to stop or accelerate when the sign turn yellow?

I reported behavior on yellow in this thread:

When a light turns from green to yellow after the car had already detected it as green, the car will continue through the intersection if a tap was previously provided for the green light AND the car is close enough to the yellow. I don't know the exact distance but I would estimate my furthest example was about 50ft from the light, again going 35mph. Otherwise, the car will brake for the yellow, and the message "Stopping for light control in XXXft" appears with no option to "Use accelerator or gear stalk to continue".