Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.11.2 hitting M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the car better after this update?

In my opinion on average the car gets worse after updates. Seems to me to be a constant addition of useless features like karaoke or games or AP gimmiks. I find they nibble some range, or reduce your power or mess up the AP or the wipers have still not been fixed.
Sorry rant continues...
If you round a bend and hit a washout, the clever body design enables the water to splash up the wing (fender) and sheet over the windscreen blinding you for around 3 seconds.
And the wipers do not come on....wtf.
Thought I was gonna die that day....blind driving at 40mph on a 2 way road.

Is the car better after this update?

In my opinion on average the car gets worse after updates. Seems to me to be a constant addition of useless features like karaoke or games or AP gimmiks. I find they nibble some range, or reduce your power or mess up the AP or the wipers have still not been fixed.
Sorry rant continues...
If you round a bend and hit a washout, the clever body design enables the water to splash up the wing (fender) and sheet over the windscreen blinding you for around 3 seconds.
And the wipers do not come on....wtf.
Thought I was gonna die that day....blind driving at 40mph on a 2 way road.

You know you can press the button on the turn stalk to run the wipers, right?

Otherwise, I disagree wholeheartedly with your premise. My car does amazing things today that it didn’t do a year ago, and that’s due 100% to its software. First cars ever that continue to get better with age.

Yes, I did the same thing for my Model 3 since I never received notice from Tesla. Of course to get the stoplight features, you also need FSD. Not sure 2020.12.6 does much without FSD (and may not even be distributed to cars without FSD).

If I understand correctly you are upgrading to HW 3.0 but you have not paid for FSD, is that correct? May I ask what Tesla is charging you for the HW upgrade?

If I understand correctly you are upgrading to HW 3.0 but you have not paid for FSD, is that correct? May I ask what Tesla is charging you for the HW upgrade?

That’s not a thing. Upgrades are not available without the FSD package.

Honestly, it makes no sense to do such an upgrade ... the HW3 computer offers zero benefit to anyone without the FSD package. It’d really just be throwing money and perfectly usable equipment away.

What are the "amazing" things it does now that it didn't do a year ago? Anything actually useful, or just things that make you giggle?

It's 5% faster.
It warms or cools itself on a schedule before I leave home.
I can drive with one pedal.
DashCam.
Sentry Mode.
Auto mirror folding.
Sees & stops at stoplights/stop signs.
Charges at 250kW at V3 SuperChargers.
Lane departure alerts & correction.
Blind spot alerts.
Dog Mode.
Driver profiles linked to each phone.
Spotify.

And that's just off the top of my head ...

To be fair- some of those are more than a year old- dashcam, dog mode, sentry, v3 chargers,etc... (though even some of those have improved further in the last year, more cameras, in car viewing, etc)

Sure, but my car's now more than a year old, too. These have all been software updates since I took delivery.

2019.5 added Sentry Mode which was my first "major" update - It shipped to me with, I believe, 2018.50, but don't quote me on that.

So why dont they use the cars computing power and the IT resource to make the wipers work properly.
Or to stop the phantom braking when you drive over a crest or when approaching a tree shadow or a light shining through trees or someone parked in a layby...thats just off the top of my head...

Regarding your "improvements";
5% faster - only under certain conditions..mostly it is slower.
It warms or cools itself on a schedule before I leave home - but the charge is never 100% on long trips when u need it because it finishes out of sync.
I can drive with one pedal - 1 pedal driving was better when it was new.
DashCam.- dumb formating makes it difficult to set up. Works well to be fair.
Sentry Mode - Can consume 7 miles a day.
Auto mirror folding - doesnt every 50k car have that.
Charges at 250kW at V3 SuperChargers. Best i have seen is 125kw most times it is around 50.
Lane departure alerts & correction. - Standard for 50k
Blind spot alerts. Standard
Dog Mode. - Who cares
Driver profiles linked to each phone. Woooo
Spotify. Getting better admitedly..cant sort playlists wtf.
Return journeys still cannot be calculated WTF.
Do they think all our trips are 1 way Lol.

So why dont they use the cars computing power and the IT resource to make the wipers work properly.
Or to stop the phantom braking when you drive over a crest or when approaching a tree shadow or a light shining through trees or someone parked in a layby...thats just off the top of my head...

It warms or cools itself on a schedule before I leave home - but the charge is never 100% on long trips when u need it because it finishes out of sync.
Charges at 250kW at V3 SuperChargers. Best i have seen is 125kw most times it is around 50.
Dog Mode. - Who cares

Whatever. I'm happy.

It's 5% faster.
It warms or cools itself on a schedule before I leave home.
I can drive with one pedal.
DashCam.
Sentry Mode.
Auto mirror folding.
Sees & stops at stoplights/stop signs.
Charges at 250kW at V3 SuperChargers.
Lane departure alerts & correction.
Blind spot alerts.
Dog Mode.
Driver profiles linked to each phone.
Spotify.

And that's just off the top of my head ...

Dog Mode. - Who cares

Given that no other car you own gets these kind of updates: (and yes, the wiper's still work average)

5% faster - only under certain conditions..mostly it is slower. - What? Maybe its slower?
It warms or cools itself on a schedule before I leave home - but the charge is never 100% on long trips when u need it because it finishes out of sync. - What does that have to do with it?
I can drive with one pedal - 1 pedal driving was better when it was new. - What?
DashCam.- dumb formating makes it difficult to set up. Works well to be fair. - Fair. Will be fixed in the next update
Sentry Mode - Can consume 7 miles a day. - small price to pay
Auto mirror folding - doesnt every 50k car have that. - Fair
Charges at 250kW at V3 SuperChargers. Best i have seen is 125kw most times it is around 50. - I hit 225w
Lane departure alerts & correction. - Standard for 50k - Fair
Blind spot alerts. Standard - Fairs
Dog Mode. - Who cares - I care. My dog cares and I bet a bunch of owners like it. (I do)
Driver profiles linked to each phone. Woooo - Super cool. My wife and I have different sitting positions.
Spotify. Getting better admitedly..cant sort playlists wtf. -- Fair
Return journeys still cannot be calculated WTF. - Not true
Do they think all our trips are 1 way Lol - What?