Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.11.5 firmware is released.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed this morning on 2017 S75 MCU 1 FSD. Notes attached

Hi,

I have model x with MCU1 and FSD(just installed today) and having an issue. Everytime i use autopilot, it disengaged and showing cruise control disabled message. Also from autopilot setting, i dont see FSD visualization, but seeing traffic light control. How is yours working? Thanks in advance.

Were you able to update?
Its still at the shop, told me I need to change out the 12 volt, waiting on my OHMMU LiFePO battery to come in. They charged me $97.50 (1/2 hour labor) to diagnose the pre-diagnosis that I told them for the 12 volt battery error, then another $97.50 (1/2 hour labor) for the firmware update error, and that's before they touched the car. They texted and told me they recommended a new OEM Battery - $165+ $58.50 labor for R/R (dropping one of the diagnosis charges) , which I had already told them I had an OHMMU on order prior to dropping the car off (should come today). Total was $330.90, but when you add in my OHMMU battery, the parts cost for that was $399. They never said what resolved Job Number 1 MCU Crashing the whole car.... so its a mystery. My guess and I told them (see note in job #2) this was eMMC is about to die.

Updated: Actually OHMMU Battery is still under warranty, so strike that cost...

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 7.56.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 7.59.27 AM.png

Last edited:
Just realized that OHMMU is still under the 100% replacement warranty and in the 4 year window, unfortunately I don't think they will cover the prior company name BattMobile...need to call and check.

https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-for-tesla-model-s

48 months from date of purchase 100% replacement coverage for performance failure of any sort.

Physical damages void warranty.

Using battery in non-approved application voids warranty, this battery is approved for use in TESLA vehicles.

To file warranty claim contact us via web-chat or send email to [email protected], be sure to include description of claim and photos (if applicable); Replacement units are sent within 24hrs (on business-days) of approval of claim along with a return shipping label for the warrantied unit.

Hi,

I have model x with MCU1 and FSD(just installed today) and having an issue. Everytime i use autopilot, it disengaged and showing cruise control disabled message. Also from autopilot setting, i dont see FSD visualization, but seeing traffic light control. How is yours working? Thanks in advance.
Working ok here, maybe turn off traffic light control and back on?

My mcu1 died on this version.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to this stuff My MCU one died on the last version. I was able to get it home and it miraculously rebooted after about 30 minutes of trying and I downloaded the current version and installed it. 2020.12.11.5 fixed all the issues I had now my MCU seems to be working fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVortex
I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to this stuff My MCU one died on the last version. I was able to get it home and it miraculously rebooted after about 30 minutes of trying and I downloaded the current version and installed it. 2020.12.11.5 fixed all the issues I had now my MCU seems to be working fine.
Yes, you are right. This is doesn't mean that this version bad for old MCU.

I noticed last night 2020.16.2 is available on my 2013 MCU 1 screen... to say I'm a bit skiddish to update after the last one that didn't go well until I updated directly from the car is an understatement. I've put it off until after a trip coming up. Has anyone in this thread updated and come across anything? Thx.

My MCU1 Died as well. The car would only drive, part of the dash speed odometer worked (trips would not display). Daytime running lights were on. Turn signals, break lights and nothing else worked AC etc... I drove the car to Tesla with no signals or break lights because I didn't know at the time they didn't work. I explained after this SW update everything crashed. Service has had the car since May 23rd and are now updating maps since yesterday to see if the mcu will hold the data. Looks like they installed the newer version to get it to come back up (the image is from my app). Software updates shouldn't damage your car and brick it. This scares me into another car.

SmartSelect_20200528-110610_Messages.jpg
SmartSelect_20200528-111235_Messages.jpg
see last image.
SmartSelect_20200528-111115_Messages.jpg

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200528-111451_Tesla.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200528-111451_Tesla.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Bill_75D
My MCU1 Died as well. The car would only drive, part of the dash speed odometer worked (trips would not display). Daytime running lights were on. Turn signals, break lights and nothing else worked AC etc... I drove the car to Tesla with no signals or break lights because I didn't know at the time they didn't work. I explained after this SW update everything crashed. Service has had the car since May 23rd and are now updating maps since yesterday to see if the mcu will hold the data. Looks like they installed the newer version to get it to come back up (the image is from my app). Software updates shouldn't damage your car and brick it. This scares me into another car.

View attachment 545637 View attachment 545638 see last image.View attachment 545636

This happened to a friend of mine who also has an older Model S 2013 his MCU died also did the same thing mine did however his just like mine miraculously came back to life on the same day the service ranger was due to visit. The rangers are actually my local service center which is Tucson Arizona wanted immediately to replace the MCU they didn't even care to try to take a look at it they said based on previous over-the-air diagnostics that the MCU needed to be replaced. Well apparently it didn't because it came back to life been driving the car for weeks now. Electronic issues generally will be fatal and they don't fix themselves so my guess is the MCU is fine and their software was goofed up which is something they don't want to admit or take the time to try to diagnose at the service center level their solution is just to replace the entire unit for roughly $2,000 to get the issue off of their plate.

This happened to a friend of mine who also has an older Model S 2013 his MCU died also did the same thing mine did however his just like mine miraculously came back to life on the same day the service ranger was due to visit. The rangers are actually my local service center which is Tucson Arizona wanted immediately to replace the MCU they didn't even care to try to take a look at it they said based on previous over-the-air diagnostics that the MCU needed to be replaced. Well apparently it didn't because it came back to life been driving the car for weeks now. Electronic issues generally will be fatal and they don't fix themselves so my guess is the MCU is fine and their software was goofed up which is something they don't want to admit or take the time to try to diagnose at the service center level their solution is just to replace the entire unit for roughly $2,000 to get the issue off of their plate.
SmartSelect_20200528-181449_Twitter.jpg
They fixed the car, told me it took 12 hours to fix it but was only going to charge me for 3 hours. My thing is, if a software update can corrupt your database then why should I have to pay for the repair? The manager reduced the fee $100.00. I had to pay $435 to fix a bad SW update. Still feel like I was ripped off. At least my car is running. I'm not going to accept any updates moving forward. 2013 Model S w/54000 miles on it should not be shutting down because of an update.

• Informative
Reactions: logan and tccartier