Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.11.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from testing the latest update 2020.12.11.1 for the bugs observed earlier in the stop sign auto stop control as well as other bugs.

I drove the same route as before that has a city speed limit of 30mph and 11 stop signs plus several speed bumps, sharp turns with 15mph warning signs and two hidden stop signs behind bushes.

First of all the sudden braking is now slowing down gradually well before the sign and it begins to slow before I can see the sign in the dash display. No more grinding sound from the front either. I consider this bug a fix 100% as the performance was the same for all stop signs including the two hidden from view.

The slow down for sharp turns with slow 15mph continued to be ignored and still needs to be fixed.

A couple places I had a delivery truck blocking my lane and the Tesla slowed for the truck rather than slammed on the brakes like before. It brought me to a complete stop 15 feet behind the truck.
Before, the system would shut down the cruise control and require one press of the autopilot stalk to reactivate it. Now the update changed this. All I have to do is tap on the accelerator and steer around the delivery truck as the system returns me to the city speed limit. It still shuts off if I tap the brake pedal. The same is for stopping at a stop sign. I come to a complete stop and to continue, I just need to tap the accelerator and the car will ramp to speed up from the stop sign.

Still does not slow down for speed bumps.

All the traffic light intersections were very busy so I didn't attempt to test for changes at the red light, amber, or green light.

Overall I grade a C+ up from a D- before. Obviously not meant yet for routine use but it is a work in progress. Once they fix the speed bumps detection and sharp curves on the road slow down, I will begin to feel better about using it.

In case you were wondering whether the cameras can detect speed bumps and sharp curves. It already can detect and display construction orange cones, barrels, trash cans along side of the road. People walking along sidewalks, bicycles, and small pets. Then display them on the driver's display. It is supposed to slam on the brakes automatically if any of these jumps out in front of you but I don't have any volunteers to test it.
upload_2020-5-7_15-11-10.gif

Same here. Installed last night in a 2016 AP1 S. It wouldn't start from the app but worked when started from the car. Took about 30 mins and everything rebooted a few times.

One rather strange change is that in the software menu in the car there is a new line above Premium Connectivity which says Highway Autopilot. Clicking on the info bubble next to it, just lists the usual features (summon, lane change, etc). Wonder why they needed to add this...

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Installed 12.11.5 yesterday in my 2014, and thought it had fixed my USB music problem. But it seems it's more complex.

I have dozens of fat-formatted USB sticks with mp3 files on them, and they all work fine in my Jeep's Kenwood deck, a cheap Clarion deck in another vehicle, and my wife's 2013 Mini. But they don't work in the Tesla.

But I had another stick (actually a micro-SD card in a USB adapter) at work yesterday, and it read that fine. Also fat-formatted.

I'll have to dig into the differences a little more. Not impressed with software quality.

Btw, my 12.11.5 notes only mention a bug in supercharger availability display, and general bug fixes.

I just returned from testing the latest update 2020.12.11.1 for the bugs observed earlier in the stop sign auto stop control as well as other bugs.

I drove the same route as before that has a city speed limit of 30mph and 11 stop signs plus several speed bumps, sharp turns with 15mph warning signs and two hidden stop signs behind bushes.

First of all the sudden braking is now slowing down gradually well before the sign and it begins to slow before I can see the sign in the dash display. No more grinding sound from the front either. I consider this bug a fix 100% as the performance was the same for all stop signs including the two hidden from view.

The slow down for sharp turns with slow 15mph continued to be ignored and still needs to be fixed.

A couple places I had a delivery truck blocking my lane and the Tesla slowed for the truck rather than slammed on the brakes like before. It brought me to a complete stop 15 feet behind the truck.
Before, the system would shut down the cruise control and require one press of the autopilot stalk to reactivate it. Now the update changed this. All I have to do is tap on the accelerator and steer around the delivery truck as the system returns me to the city speed limit. It still shuts off if I tap the brake pedal. The same is for stopping at a stop sign. I come to a complete stop and to continue, I just need to tap the accelerator and the car will ramp to speed up from the stop sign.

Still does not slow down for speed bumps.

All the traffic light intersections were very busy so I didn't attempt to test for changes at the red light, amber, or green light.

Overall I grade a C+ up from a D- before. Obviously not meant yet for routine use but it is a work in progress. Once they fix the speed bumps detection and sharp curves on the road slow down, I will begin to feel better about using it.

In case you were wondering whether the cameras can detect speed bumps and sharp curves. It already can detect and display construction orange cones, barrels, trash cans along side of the road. People walking along sidewalks, bicycles, and small pets. Then display them on the driver's display. It is supposed to slam on the brakes automatically if any of these jumps out in front of you but I don't have any volunteers to test it. View attachment 539588

In a short ap3 drive on rural roads yesterday I got the impression that speed control and handling of corners was better than previously. One specific car response was for a solitary pedestrian walking near a bend on the sidewalk but close to road traffic. The IC showed the pedestrian, slowed from 30 to 15 until we were passed, then accelerated.

Still no good for cars parked slightly over hanging the carriageway. Just seems to ignore them. If sufficient of the obstructing vehicle is in the roadway, the car just slows to a stop.

In a short ap3 drive on rural roads yesterday I got the impression that speed control and handling of corners was better than previously. One specific car response was for a solitary pedestrian walking near a bend on the sidewalk but close to road traffic. The IC showed the pedestrian, slowed from 30 to 15 until we were passed, then accelerated.

Still no good for cars parked slightly over hanging the carriageway. Just seems to ignore them. If sufficient of the obstructing vehicle is in the roadway, the car just slows to a stop.

Might be differences in UK vs US driving rules. However, I too saw the car slow for pedestrian standing between the sidewalk and the road. My concern earlier was a well marked sharp curve with a speed limit sign of "Dangerous Curve 15mph," where the car continued to take the curve at 30mph, no pedestrian or sidewalk at this location. These locations still need improvement.

I continue to use these new AP features as a beta test, not as routine like I do on the highway. I rely now on FSD for NOA routinely with little concern. But still need to be alert for other drivers. Yesterday, a car entering the highway decided to just merge at 70mph and I had no where to go as the traffic was tight. I had to slam on the brakes to prevent him from hitting me, his left rear to my front right collision.

For these reasons, I have maintained FSD 100% will never happen as long as human brain control is mixing with machine control. The machine will never be able to predict the irrational errors of the human brain. When all cars are controlled by one software plan it will be 100% safe.

Attempted installing 2020.12.11.5 from 2020.12.5. Update got to 10% for a few seconds then reset to showing 2020.12.11.5 available (no sort of error or failure message).

Additionally, following the failed update, the instrument cluster went dark. All vehicle driving functions appear to be intact (headlights, blinkers, shifting gears) but lost obstacle detection and steering wheel controls.

Anyone else experience anything like this?