Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it's possible you got invited to Early Access, and the email got redirected to your spam folder or something.

Please let us know how well it works, once you get a chance to test it, if you're comfortable with sharing!
I've been driving all morning trying it out. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it works so far. It appears to know where most stop sign are well before seeing them and ones it sees later the stop is a little rushed but I can see that getting smoothed out as the network learns all stop sign locations. The only problem I've had was at a 4 way stop that has both stop signs and a flashing red light. It stopped perfectly at the stop sign and then wanted to stop again in the middle of the intersection as it saw the flashing red light. Also it will treat flashing yellow lights that are used to mark where fire trucks come out as a traffic light and will start slowing the car down if you don't press the accelerator or gear stalk. Still just hoping the max speed limit gets raised at least back to 5 mph over as I prefer not getting run over by doing the speed limit on some roads.

Looks like you already posted them on your first post, that was all there was in the release notes. The only other time I got an EAP release was when smart summon came out to FSD people a week ahead of full release so yes and no I guess. From what I understand there is the real EAP where this released a couple weeks ago, then there’s people like me that purchased FSD that get a mostly feature complete release shortly before full release.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like this second wave of "EAP" owners does NOT have any NDA in place, which would explain the posts here as well as TeslaFi reports.

@Chizzle did you ever sign or agree to an NDA with Tesla? (and thanks for the release notes and reports on behavior).

I've been driving all morning trying it out. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it works so far. It appears to know where most stop sign are well before seeing them and ones it sees later the stop is a little rushed but I can see that getting smoothed out as the network learns all stop sign locations. The only problem I've had was at a 4 way stop that has both stop signs and a flashing red light. It stopped perfectly at the stop sign and then wanted to stop again in the middle of the intersection as it saw the flashing red light. Also it will treat flashing yellow lights that are used to mark where fire trucks come out as a traffic light and will start slowing the car down if you don't press the accelerator or gear stalk. Still just hoping the max speed limit gets raised at least back to 5 mph over as I prefer not getting run over by doing the speed limit on some roads.

I already nearly get killed going only-5mph-over (most people by me drive at least 10 over if not 20+; even the grannies).
Really hope they don't nerf this down to 0 mph over.

I believe I listed 3 benefits to me of using TeslaFi. I might have said that you could’ve missed them, but they were included in your reply that quoted my post, so you MUST have read them, right? ;)

As @diplomat33 mentioned, there is a possibility this same release is rolled out to non-EAP owners but without the stop light/sign feature. Don’t make the assumption that the steadily increasing number of owners on TeslaFi who upgraded their car to 2020.12.5.6 are necessarily part of EAP, because you don’t know that for a fact.

2020.15.5.6. the header on the splash screen says: New Early Access Update....but it's not for Early Access.

Everyone.....do what you like. I suppose that's what we are saying. Ignore the NDA. Ignore the Confidentiality agreement. BECAUSE - I want to talk about it and know about it.

@Chizzle …. wow.

How do you turn with it on? Won't it deactivate once you turn the wheel?

From the email included in the very first post of this thread:

9C07181C-927C-4E4C-80A0-649F6594D7E4.jpeg

From the email included in the very first post of this thread:

View attachment 533022

Understood, but what happens when someone turns the wheel. That's what I asked.

I was just told by my neighbor that EVERYTHING is Confidentiality EAP. He says that its written on every page of the instructions of this release. I'm ceasing discussing the details of this feature.

Why don't we just all do right.

Sorry, I'm a relative newb, but this isn't clear to me in this discussion. Is this going to work with AutoPilot or be FSD only? Thanks.

You know what.....I'm not sure. Tesla has changed the names and definitions of what they sell so many times that I'm confused.

I thought future software updates would be for FSD owners only.

Who knows anymore.

There is also confusion over here about another feature. Reverse Summon for EAP Purchasers.

The feature is active while on both TACC and Autosteer, so turning the wheel won't turn it. Disabling TACC or Autosteer will disable the feature too.

Source: the last line of the email screenshot I pasted in the first post of this thread, and again a few posts above this one.

Sorry, I'm a relative newb, but this isn't clear to me in this discussion. Is this going to work with AutoPilot or be FSD only? Thanks.

Definitely not AutoPilot, per Tesla's website that lists AP versus FSD features (see first screenshot below, second-to-last bullet point).

As for EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot) that is no longer sold, I agree with @animorph that it would most likely not be in EAP.

EDIT: I found an old EAP screen shot, adding below the recent FSD one. No mention of traffic lights or stop signs.

EDIT #2: found a tweet from Elon from over a year ago confirming what EAP includes. Again, no traffic lights or stop signs. Source: Elon Musk on Twitter

Research (versus guesses) always pays off ;)

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 1.50.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 1.42.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 1.52.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 1.47.56 PM.png

Last edited:

Same thing that happens today when you turn the wheel- it'll disable autosteer.

TACC will remain on though, which is all you need for this new light/sign feature to work.

I was just told by my neighbor that EVERYTHING is Confidentiality EAP.

So... your neighbor broke confidentiality to tell you about his NDA? :)

He says that its written on every page of the instructions of this release. I'm ceasing discussing the details of this feature.

Why don't we just all do right.

We are.

If you didn't sign an NDA you're not bound by one.

I don't understand why folks in the forum who post or provide information released to Early Access don't know if they are "really" in the EAP. If you received an NDA, you are in the EAP and you are not supposed to talk about it's features.

There are cases of people who accidentally have Enhanced Autopilot without paying for it, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are cases of people who are accidentally sent Early Access software without being a part of the Early Access Program.