Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would suck if fsd drives at speed limit.
It seems inconsistent to me from my own experience. A road I drive on to and from our development doesn't limit speed in TACC in either direction but if I go into FSD, it limits me to my set +5 mph in one direction and drops it to the exact limit the other. That usually results in me using FSD occasionally on the way home but when leaving on the same road, I only use TACC for that reason. I've tried it on the last 5 or maybe more updates including before and after HW 3 with no change.

Sorry if I'm late to the part but I'm a little surprised why camera recalibation would be required.

aTyERc7.jpg
The word "may" is key to understanding that. If someone bought a new car that came with this feature, they might need to be reminded that some AP and FSD features won't be available until the cameras are calibrated. It doesn't say "recalibrated" as it should if the new feature required it.

Reactions: scottf200
Not sure if this been discussed or I've just been missing this... Within that video, is that a new icon/button in that video? Any info on what it does?

Good spot. It doesn't look like the dashcam icon, or the old or the new Sentry mode icons. Looks a bit like a stylized video camera?

Two theories, maybe the early access version had a different sentry mode icon before they went over to the Portal turret. Or it's some new type of mode just for early access (maybe a "your drive is being recorded for feedback purposes" mode or something similar).

Reactions: JeffnReno
So this update seems to only recognize the presence of a traffic light and not be able to differentiate the colors as to whether to stop or go. Maybe in the next update that will be available. Regardless good baby step forward! Can’t wait.

.. and I think that's the point .. it IS baby steps, just like we saw with (say) lane change with auto-pilot, which gradually got more autonomous over time.

So to play it safe, this feature neuters that part and stops the car for every light by default and forces the driver to confirm when the light is green. That way, Tesla can use the driver inputs to further train the NN to make the feature more reliable.

If my car will slow down/stop even for a green light then I think I'll leave this feature for others to experiment with. Slowing down to a green light is a sure-fire way to get rear ended.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Personal preference I guess, but I don't really get the angst about this approach. Were you not already paying attention when coming up to stop signs/lights? A stop sign has always required intervention. A red stop light has always required intervention. With this approach (which they may or may not even release) you only intervene at a green light. On the whole, that's less involvement for the driver, so why is this even a discussion?

Personal preference I guess, but I don't really get the angst about this approach. Were you not already paying attention when coming up to stop signs/lights? A stop sign has always required intervention. A red stop light has always required intervention. With this approach (which they may or may not even release) you only intervene at a green light. On the whole, that's less involvement for the driver, so why is this even a discussion?
You need to ask that? This is TMC.
Tesla could give away cars and someone would be complaining that it wasn't the color they wanted. :)

I have to say that I’m surprised Tesla chose a dot-dot-dot version number for such a big feature (assuming it’s true, of course).
Don't put too much effort into deciphering the version numbers. They mean nothing, they are automatically picked by the build pipeline when it's built.

At most it may look like more dots appear on releases built from a branch that is not yet merged into master. They could have merged in the changes from the master branch at 2020.15.5, but not comfortable enough to merge it out to master again, hence 2020.15.5.6.

Usually large changes are kept in a branch for a while when testing, and the way to mainstream them back is by applying one patch at a time to master as they are deemed safe. After N patches / X releases the branch no longer differs from master and is deleted.

If my car will slow down/stop even for a green light then I think I'll leave this feature for others to experiment with. Slowing down to a green light is a sure-fire way to get rear ended.
That seems pretty odd to me because you should be paying attention to any stoplights on your road anyway in advance of it reacting so you would just slightly depress the accel pedal to 'acknowledge' it being green (and adding a confirmation result to the dataset).

I don't understand why folks in the forum who post or provide information released to Early Access don't know if they are "really" in the EAP. If you received an NDA, you are in the EAP and you are not supposed to talk about it's features.

It doesn't matter if people are a part of the EAP or not.....because included with the update itself is an email that explicitly states that this information is not to be discussed.

My concern is that Tesla may potentially kill the EAP program because "people" don't have the propensity to follow their rules. Here in TMC ( one of the largest Tesla forums on the planet ) we are continuing to break Tesla's rules.

Even if a person didn't get the email or didn't read the NDA....this thread points it out clearly that this discussion shouldn't be taking place.