Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concern is that Tesla may potentially kill the EAP program because "people" don't have the propensity to follow their rules. Here in TMC ( one of the largest Tesla forums on the planet ) we are continuing to break Tesla's rules.

Even if a person didn't get the email or didn't read the NDA....this thread points it out clearly that this discussion shouldn't be taking place.
I railed against this issue a while back. The point that convinced me to back down is that Tesla doesn't seem to mind a little bit of (good) publicity when it suits them. Elon has even tweeted some EAP-confidential user videos. If Tesla really wanted to nip it in the bud, they could. The fact that they don't leads me to believe it's not in their best overall interest to do so. Violating the NDA isn't "right", but it's a stable equilibrium that appears to be sufficiently satisfactory. There's always a risk that either party might disturb this balance in the future.

It doesn't matter if people are a part of the EAP or not.....because included with the update itself is an email that explicitly states that this information is not to be discussed.

My concern is that Tesla may potentially kill the EAP program because "people" don't have the propensity to follow their rules. Here in TMC ( one of the largest Tesla forums on the planet ) we are continuing to break Tesla's rules.

Even if a person didn't get the email or didn't read the NDA....this thread points it out clearly that this discussion shouldn't be taking place.

Feel free to stop following this thread then. You’ve done nothing but complain about it since the beginning, and it’s honestly getting tiring.

For the rest of us, this information is valuable in seeing what could be coming soon, and helps us be informed ahead of time to make better *and safer* use of the new features.

I highly doubt Tesla would kill the early access program just because of a few leaks here and there, which are generating more awareness and excitement anyway. Having feedback from EAP owners is just too valuable.

I railed against this issue a while back. The point that convinced me to back down is that Tesla doesn't seem to mind a little bit of (good) publicity when it suits them. Elon has even tweeted some EAP-confidential user videos. If Tesla really wanted to nip it in the bud, they could. The fact that they don't leads me to believe it's not in their best overall interest to do so. Violating the NDA isn't "right", but it's a stable equilibrium that appears to be sufficiently satisfactory. There's always a risk that either party might disturb this balance in the future.

Yeah exactly, what he said.

Last edited:
If my car will slow down/stop even for a green light then I think I'll leave this feature for others to experiment with. Slowing down to a green light is a sure-fire way to get rear ended.
yup, that is what the wife is thinking. I would prefer it give another indication of a green light rather than slowing down.... like an audible indicator or a silent flash on the MCU. Things like this is why I usually ignore updates that want to be pushed to one of my cars until I see a lot of other people have tried it and comment about it.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
Feel free to stop following this thread then. You’ve done nothing but complain about it since the beginning, and it’s honestly getting tiring.

For the rest of us, this information is valuable in seeing what could be coming soon, and helps us be informed ahead of time to make better *and safer* use of the new features.

I highly doubt Tesla would kill the early access program just because of a few leaks here and there, which are generating more awareness and excitement anyway. Having feedback from EAP owners is just too valuable.

Yeah exactly, what he said.

You mean me complaining about people violating Tesla's rules?

Is that what you mean?

I suppose you agree with it as long as it benefits you. Screw the rules as long as I benefit?

Is that what I'm hearing?

Last edited:
Definitely not AutoPilot, per Tesla's website that lists AP versus FSD features (see first screenshot below, second-to-last bullet point).

As for EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot) that is no longer sold, I agree with @animorph that it would most likely not be in EAP.

EDIT: I found an old EAP screen shot, adding below the recent FSD one. No mention of traffic lights or stop signs.

EDIT #2: found a tweet from Elon from over a year ago confirming what EAP includes. Again, no traffic lights or stop signs. Source: Elon Musk on Twitter

Research (versus guesses) always pays off ;)

View attachment 533038

View attachment 533033

View attachment 533039

View attachment 533036

This is what I have been looking for since taking ownership of my used Model 3 on 3/11. I have a 2018 with Enhanced Auto Pilot, but it has HW 2.5 and I have not paid the $4k to upgrade to FSD yet. However, this original capture of what EAP was to include, lists Advanced Summon but I only have Summon (Beta), which I believe is basic Summon. I thought Advanced Summon was only capable with HW 3.0?

This is what I have been looking for since taking ownership of my used Model 3 on 3/11. I have a 2018 with Enhanced Auto Pilot, but it has HW 2.5 and I have not paid the $4k to upgrade to FSD yet. However, this original capture of what EAP was to include, lists Advanced Summon but I only have Summon (Beta), which I believe is basic Summon. I thought Advanced Summon was only capable with HW 3.0?

If you have any summon at all you should have both versions- HW3 is not required.

It doesn't matter if people are a part of the EAP or not.....because included with the update itself is an email that explicitly states that this information is not to be discussed.

But if you didn't sign an NDA that's meaningless.

I can email you saying by reading the email you owe me a million dollars- but that's also meaningless unless you AGREED to it.

Tesla putting "You aren't allowed to discuss this" in an email to someone who never agreed to such a restriction is likewise meaningless.

Further- info from the early access program has been commonly leaking for years now and I'm unaware of Tesla ever filing a single lawsuit against anyone for violating their NDA... failure to routinely enforce NDAs is, itself, potential grounds for an NDA becoming unenforcable.

So you seem to care about this "problem" way more than Tesla themselves cares.

Sounds exhausting.

Last edited:

Glad I was able to help. To clarify, anyone who bought FSD (the software, not HW3.0) or EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot) will have Advanced Summon. This does not require HW3.0 (aka FSD computer).

Indeed, it worked on my HW2.5 before I had the upgrade done. Not sure if it works better with HW3.0 but I wouldn't be surprised if it helps improve the results (haven't tested it extensively as I don't see much use for it). Reverse-summon, aka "go find a parking spot" will be much more useful to me.

Make sure you've enabled Summon on your touchscreen in your car and you have the latest app version on your phone. If it still doesn't appear, call or email Tesla (or schedule a service appointment) as it should definitely be available to you.

Last edited:
Glad I was able to help. To clarify, anyone who bought FSD (the software, not HW3.0) or EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot) will have Advanced Summon. This does not require HW3.0 (aka FSD computer).

Indeed, it worked on my HW2.5 before I had the upgrade done. Not sure if it works better with HW3.0 but I wouldn't be surprised if it helps improve the results (haven't tested it extensively as I don't see much use for it). Reverse-summon, aka "go find a parking spot" will be much more useful to me.

Make sure you've enabled Summon on your touchscreen in your car and you have the latest app version on your phone. If it still doesn't appear, call or email Tesla (or schedule a service appointment) as it should definitely be available to you.
I have an option called Summon (Beta) that is enabled, so I guess this is advanced summon then? I also see the summon option in the app on the phone, but it only looks like it pulls in and out of the garage or parking spots. I don't see anything that would indicate that it would pull out of a spot and drive to my location within the parking lot. Maybe it's possible, it just doesn't indicate that it's possible from the feature description or app options.

My understanding of the "Reverse Summon" is that this feature will require HW 3.0, which means I will not get that option unless I upgrade to FSD for $4k.

I suspect Tesla's main reason for not wanting Early Access discussion is that new features can be buggy and even dangerous before they get refined by the testing of the cars in EAP. Such negative discussion doesn't serve anyone outside of EAP participants in any useful fashion.
On the other hand, one might argue for a private forum where EAP participants can share their experiences and warn each other of any dangers they might have experienced.

I suspect Tesla's main reason for not wanting Early Access discussion is that new features can be buggy and even dangerous before they get refined by the testing of the cars in EAP. Such negative discussion doesn't serve anyone outside of EAP participants in any useful fashion.
On the other hand, one might argue for a private forum where EAP participants can share their experiences and warn each other of any dangers they might have experienced.

It would be nice to discuss such things, even though this is a forum......we don't.

I have an option called Summon (Beta) that is enabled, so I guess this is advanced summon then? I also see the summon option in the app on the phone, but it only looks like it pulls in and out of the garage or parking spots. I don't see anything that would indicate that it would pull out of a spot and drive to my location within the parking lot. Maybe it's possible, it just doesn't indicate that it's possible from the feature description or app options.

My understanding of the "Reverse Summon" is that this feature will require HW 3.0, which means I will not get that option unless I upgrade to FSD for $4k.

Summon only goes forwards and backwards in a straight line. Advanced summon will turn.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yup- but any car that has one should also have the other

(Well, any AP2+ car... AP1 only has original dumb summon)
I just watched a YouTube video and you have to turn on Standby mode in the Summon setting to get the advanced features on the phone. I think I'll look for an empty parking lot and give this a try! Most people that commented on the video said they still don't trust it around people on in busy parking lots even though it is much improved since the beginning.

I just watched a YouTube video and you have to turn on Standby mode in the Summon setting to get the advanced features on the phone. I think I'll look for an empty parking lot and give this a try! Most people that commented on the video said they still don't trust it around people on in busy parking lots even though it is much improved since the beginning.

You do not need to have Standby Mode on for Smart Summon to work, however, as the name implies, if standby mode is not on, it take longer for the car to get into smart summon as the app needs to wake the car first.

It shouldn’t be very difficult to find an empty parking lot these days

Certainly looking forward to this release but also hoping the car will also in the not too distant future be able to handle intersections without lights or stop signs?
Plenty of those where I live.

The city just south of where I live has recently gone roundabout crazy, I assume as a way to avoid the costs of a full intersection but in some parts it is one after another. I think that’s going to be a big problem for autonomy.