Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree.

For example you are ignorant that your claim "everyone" with this SW has an NDA" is factually and provably wrong

Yet you seem very blissful about this ignorance.

Wow...you reached personal insults very quickly this time.

Some people have NDA's and some don't - on the same product?

What is Tesla doing?

Last edited:
Wait what?

People are uploading "clips to Tesla" ......to explain Tesla's upgrade to Tesla ......so that Tesla can review their own upgrade …..without any intention of the public seeing it?

Really? you think people are doing that?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say. If you have a specific question, please try asking it in a coherent manner.

The camera icon that @AustinM3LR was asking about triggers an upload of some video clips and telemetry to Tesla for analysis. It's available to a small subset of owners, some in the EAP program, others not. The intent behind it is to allow a group of trusted users to provide data on the car's performance, focusing specifically on the autopilot, outside of the wider public data collection campaigns initiated by Tesla. My point was that a number of people I personally know and trust who have this feature turned on by Tesla did not sign any NDA with them.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say. If you have a specific question, please try asking it in a coherent manner.

The camera icon that @AustinM3LR was asking about triggers an upload of some video clips and telemetry to Tesla for analysis. It's available to a small subset of owners, some in the EAP program, others not. The intent behind it is to allow a group of trusted users to provide data on the car's performance, focusing specifically on the autopilot, outside of the wider public data collection campaigns initiated by Tesla. My point was that a number of people I personally know and trust who have this feature turned on by Tesla did not sign any NDA with them.

Its not a signed NDA.

1. Everyone who got the software was told not to discuss the features as part of them being a part of the Early Access Program.

Its that simple.

There would be no knowledge about a camera icon if an EAP'r didn't violate the Early Access Agreement. I don't know who that person is or where they are or anything and neither do I care who it is.

I am not commenting about "the person" who asked the question in this forum about the camera icon.

Can Tesla at this point say that the Early Access Program works? Can they say that they trust it?

Last edited:
This feature - and the associated icon - is not limited to the early access program.

So...Tesla told some people that 2020.12.5.6 was part of the Early Access Program and some were told that it wasn't part of the early access program?

Is that what you are saying?

I became aware that this is the title of the email that went out from TESLA.

Tesla Early Access | Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (BETA)

Last edited:
So...Tesla told some people that 2020.12.5.6 was part of the Early Access Program and some were told that it wasn't part of the early access program?

Is that what you are saying?

No, the camera icon has nothing to do with 2020.12.5.6, it's been around for a while now and some people who have it have never received any early access builds. It's not specific to a particular firmware version.

That's good information, but I don't trust that process after I once had an issue that a press to cancel didn't get through to the car due to connection issues. I had to go grab the door handle to stop it. With continuous press, the car will stop if communication fails between the fob and the car.

Now that is scary! Imagine if you could not grab it time and someone was in the way. It's only matter of time before we hear of people getting run over (assuming it hasn't happened already). I'm afraid to even use it in my driveway. Even with the continuous press, there could still be a glitch that causes the car not to stop even after losing communication.

At least when inside the car, the driver can still hit the brakes. Outside, one is putting total trust in a computer. There's a video on Youtube with a smart summoned Model 3 taking a longer route in the opposite direction. There was hardly anyone around, but it's not hard to imagine it trying to navigate a crowded area on its own. Crazy.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
Now that is scary! Imagine if you could not grab it time and someone was in the way. It's only matter of time before we hear of people getting run over (assuming it hasn't happened already). I'm afraid to even use it in my driveway. Even with the continuous press, there could still be a glitch that causes the car not to stop even after losing communication.

At least when inside the car, the driver can still hit the brakes. Outside, one is putting total trust in a computer. There's a video on Youtube with a smart summoned Model 3 taking a longer route in the opposite direction. There was hardly anyone around, but it's not hard to imagine it trying to navigate a crowded area on its own. Crazy.

I agree to some extent but I also thinking about all the other technologies that we're going to go awry and never did. When I was growing up everyone told you to not buy the electric windows because if your battery went out during a rain storm your car would be ruined. Never happened in 36 years. Mom's of my generation said they would never trust their baby in a car seat because they were safer in their arms. Fly by wire in airplanes was going to kill us all. Antilock brakes turned cars into a death traps. Airbags were thought to kill more people than they saved. The Locomotive Act of 1865 stipulated that cars could only travel at 2mph in the city and 4mph in the country and every vehicle must have a man walking in front of it waving a red flag or holding a lantern.

I agree to summon has a long way to go but I also know I have had 3 cars backed into by inattentive drivers. People get run over by people every day in every country around the world. People are more distracted than ever and since we can't seem to fix the people we are making the machines do it for us.

Point is, every technology breakthrough like this faces opposition and distrust. Today, most people think it far safer to drive a car that to ride a horse. At some point in the future people will think it crazy that you're driving your own car. Thats a shame in some ways, I love to drive.

So, I use summon pretty frequently but in a controlled environment and I keep the button pressed because I do not fully trust it yet either.

This is personal for me as my step father was run over and killed by an inattentive driver in a Walmart parking lot. Sure, my Tesla has a lot to learn but it never looks down to send a text message.

The car is watching the ultrasonics throughout, and should stop without hitting anyone or anything even if you never intervene.

I’m pretty confident in it not hitting large objects head on. It’s less clear when it might be angling in to something, though I haven’t had a problem personally.

unless multiple people are walking around licking or sneezing on them or something.
052DFD7F-1F54-4B58-9EEE-4B0513215A19.jpeg

N
That's good information, but I don't trust that process after I once had an issue that a press to cancel didn't get through to the car due to connection issues. I had to go grab the door handle to stop it. With continuous press, the car will stop if communication fails between the fob and the car.
Not always true. When I first got my 3 I wrote about my Summon experience and how the "low battery" prompt on the iPhone popped up and overrode the release to stop function. The modal in the phone took priority over the app and the app didnt realize I took my finger off the button because low battery popped up.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
I agree to some extent but I also thinking about all the other technologies that we're going to go awry and never did. When I was growing up everyone told you to not buy the electric windows because if your battery went out during a rain storm your car would be ruined. Never happened in 36 years. Mom's of my generation said they would never trust their baby in a car seat because they were safer in their arms. Fly by wire in airplanes was going to kill us all. Antilock brakes turned cars into a death traps. Airbags were thought to kill more people than they saved. The Locomotive Act of 1865 stipulated that cars could only travel at 2mph in the city and 4mph in the country and every vehicle must have a man walking in front of it waving a red flag or holding a lantern.

I agree to summon has a long way to go but I also know I have had 3 cars backed into by inattentive drivers. People get run over by people every day in every country around the world. People are more distracted than ever and since we can't seem to fix the people we are making the machines do it for us.

Point is, every technology breakthrough like this faces opposition and distrust. Today, most people think it far safer to drive a car that to ride a horse. At some point in the future people will think it crazy that you're driving your own car. Thats a shame in some ways, I love to drive.

So, I use summon pretty frequently but in a controlled environment and I keep the button pressed because I do not fully trust it yet either.

This is personal for me as my step father was run over and killed by an inattentive driver in a Walmart parking lot. Sure, my Tesla has a lot to learn but it never looks down to send a text message.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying. The problem is, this technology is complex and largely untested, and to try it around people is asking for trouble. Components fail and sometimes it takes a few failures before the weak point is identified. And that's just the hardware, what about the software? It's not just about distrust, but reality. I would not have a job in IT if computers were totally trustworthy. At least you're doing it in a controlled environment which is prudent.

The car is watching the ultrasonics throughout, and should stop without hitting anyone or anything even if you never intervene.

Check out the Youtube vids with summon almost crashing into things. The tech is too new to put that kind of trust in it. If you're having fun or using it in a controlled environment, that's different.