Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone checked, new features works on standard autopilot? Not FSD?

I don't have the features myself, but the following is my understanding:

You require 1. HW3 (FSD computer). 2. FSD package. This feature will not be activated if you have HW3 but have not paid for FSD.

It's only confusing because once you have FSD and HW3, the feature is active while Autosteer or Traffic Aware Cruise Control is active. So many people still say "Autopilot can now stop at stop lights."

Installed yesterday on our black car. White still waiting. Works great!

Right out of the box a big issue is that they lowered the speed limit to the actual speed limit, not +5mph like it used to be. The +5mph was bad enough. Needs to be user selectable in a +0-15mph posted limits above 25mph. Since posted speed limits are artificially low, it makes the feature difficult to use because you’re stuck going the exact posted speed limit and traffic bunching up behind you and pissing everyone off. Hope we don’t have to live with it like this for very long.

Installed yesterday on our black car. White still waiting. Works great!

Right out of the box a big issue is that they lowered the speed limit to the actual speed limit, not +5mph like it used to be. The +5mph was bad enough. Needs to be user selectable in a +0-15mph posted limits above 25mph. Since posted speed limits are artificially low, it makes the feature difficult to use because you’re stuck going the exact posted speed limit and traffic bunching up behind you and pissing everyone off. Hope we don’t have to live with it like this for very long.
You realize why this is right? Imagine the headline that a Tesla causes an accident while AP engaged at 15 over the speed limit. Everyone does it but when an accident happens because someone is speeding, the blame goes squarely to them. My suggestion is get used to it. Regulators aren't going to sign off on a system that allows it to break the law. That would be ridiculous. Why have a speed limit then?

You realize why this is right? Imagine the headline that a Tesla causes an accident while AP engaged at 15 over the speed limit. Everyone does it but when an accident happens because someone is speeding, the blame goes squarely to them. My suggestion is get used to it. Regulators aren't going to sign off on a system that allows it to break the law. That would be ridiculous. Why have a speed limit then?
The only problem is that you could do this previously on NOA and you can do this everyday on normal AP.

I have a simple suggestion that hopefully would make everyone happy about the NDA issue on this thread - why don't you (Garlan Garner) just start a new thread with NDA as the title? Then you could state your beliefs/thoughts, and any others interested could reply there.
That would keep threads like this (2020.12.5.6) about technical info on 2020.12.5.6.

Or in other words... get a room.

• Funny
Reactions: AustinM3LR

Agreed. It just makes us look like the new generation of Prius drivers :p

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
What are you saying? will behave the same as cars with earlier firmware? What did that mean?

I'm saying I think the limitation to the speed limit will only apply when the stop lights and stop signs response is enabled. But I haven't tested it yet. So you'd be left with the 5 mph limitation for non-divided roads for Autosteer that past versions had.

I'm saying I think the limitation to the speed limit will only apply when the stop lights and stop signs response is enabled. But I haven't tested it yet. So you'd be left with the 5 mph limitation for non-divided roads for Autosteer that past versions had.

Yep, as it says in the screen enabling this feature shown below (I'm assuming you are responding to someone I've starting ignoring recently..)

IMG_3025.jpeg

so, if we don't have FSD software bit enabled (ie, paid for it), our AP can still ignore the local posted limits if the driver wants to?

the fsd guys get to try this out, but they are now limited to the speed limit. in a way, its almost better to not be fsd-enabled ;)

AP and TACC will behave as before if you choose to leave Traffic Controls disabled in the Autopilot menu. So if you have FSD you can enable it to test the feature out, and then disable it to get your 5 MPH over the speed limit on non-divided highways back.