Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might warrant more testing. The camera is tracking the line where the intersection begins, and it knows how fast it is going, it could be determining whether it has enough time to safely stop when determining what to do with a yellow.
In the video he cancelled for the green far ahead of the light, and then went through the yellow without again canceling for yellow. (Normally you would have to cancel for a yellow if you hadn't before canceled for the green.) He was almost up to the intersection when it turned yellow and got through before it turned red.

I would bet that once you give the car the OK to go through an intersection, it's going to do just that, even if it turns red just before you go under the light. I hope I'm wrong

Last edited:
2020.12.5.6 is starting to roll out to non-EAP owners, and this version apparently has Traffic Light and Stop Sign control features. If true, this could be huge.

Souces:

Twitter

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker
My 3 was updated with .6 yesterday. This is not an early release. The Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control works as described. My car slowed and stopped for both signs and lights. It starts slowing before you see the lights show on your screen. A red bar appears as you approach the street. And you stop on the white line on the street. You need to tell it when the light turns green by touching the shift or accelerator. It sees lighted railroad crossings as stop lights. It also limits the driver to the speed limit. Impressive.
index.php
It’s already been said but yes this is for early access members.

12.6 seems somewhat dangerous to me. Hate to be the hater, but this seems not quite ready for release. Even as a “beta”.

edit: Lols At the dislike. Fanboy alert. I call a spade a spade.

FWIW I think it's pretty garbage functionality- but don't see how it's "dangerous"

If anything they designed it OVERLY safe.

Unless you mean the "everyone will get rear ended!" bit- which wasn't true with "phantom braking" and is almost certainly not true here either... people GROSSLY overestimate how hard the car slows itself down in these situations.... (one guy actually measured with an acceleratometer during a previous "phantom braking on the highway will kill people!" thread and it was like 0.2gs...)

FWIW I think it's pretty garbage functionality- but don't see how it's "dangerous"

Unless you mean the "everyone will get rear ended!" bit- which wasn't true with "phantom braking" and is almost certainly not true here either... people GROSSLY overestimate how hard the car slows itself down in these situations.... (one guy actually measured with an acceleratometer during a previous "phantom braking on the highway will kill people!" thread and it was like 0.2gs...)
It’s somewhat dangerous in that it requires more attention to the car than driving on your own...it blows through stop signs if they aren’t where it expects them to be...or if it’s a double stop separated highway.

I’d say it’s overly cautious with the braking; not overly safe. Those are not synonymous. Has nothing to do with it blowing through stop signs which I’ve seen it do on video...somewhat is the key word that you may have missed.

phantom braking is annoying and “somewhat dangerous” when combined with bad driving behaviors of other drivers. Ignoring stop signs doesn’t require another car to be negligent to kill someone....

Last edited:

I’m not sure about it being dangerous. I don’t have it yet so I can’t say either way. I do agree that it seems like they coded it, at this point, to be overly safe. However, being overly cautious can also cause accidents. Imagine the overly cautious driver not going with the flow of traffic. One scenario I don’t understand is why the vehicle slows down if there’s another vehicle in front AND the traffic light is green? Looking forward to testing it though.

Everyone should approach a light with a bit of caution to be sure it is safe. You can't always assume its safe going through a green light. A good driver needs to be paying attention to cross traffic to be sure it is stopped or coming to a stop. Emergency vehichles, a drunk driver, or speeding drivers don't always stop. A safe driver usually does this with his peripheral vision and reacts accordingly. Slowimg a bit at the light gives you more time to react to the unexpected, whether you have FSD or not.

12.6 seems somewhat dangerous to me. Hate to be the hater, but this seems not quite ready for release. Even as a “beta”.

edit: Lols At the dislike. Fanboy alert. I call a spade a spade.

You have your opinion. No issue with that.

But saying you call a spade a spade doesn’t make you right, nor are owners who disagree with you wrong, just because they like Tesla. Think about that. :)

I purchased FSD with my original order two years ago, but haven't yet been notified to bring in my car for the HW3 computer replacement. So apparently not getting this capability.

Anyone know what % of owners in my position have or have not had HW3 installed?

Thanks,
RT
I was in the same bucket. All I did was schedule a service through the app for accessories (upgrades and installations) and select date and time. If your profile is not yet eligible, they will text you saying so and will cancel the appointment. I got mine upgraded around March 15th.

Did a quick test drive and it seems to “see” the traffic lights from 600ft away as it is at this point when you see the first message. I put it in quotes because I came up to a light I know is there but it is behind a blind turn and wasn’t visible at 600ft. It must have been using the map data. Better that than seeming it at the last 200ft.

There was a car at that red light and mine slowed down, as it would have always done, behind the car but the red light message was on the screen. When the light turned green and the car in front of me pulled out, the car started moving and I thought it reacted to the green light but then slowed down to stop at the line. Quick tap on the go peddle and I was on my way. It all seems to work well. Of course it would be nice once it gets confident (really, when I am confident with it) to go through the green lights automatically but I understand the choice.

The speed limit thing is a bigger problem as nobody here drive at or below the speed limit. In traffic, this will annoy people behind me.

For now, I am turning it on if I want to do some testing and then turn it off again. Mostly because my wife drives the car too and she isn’t in to being a test pilot.

I would bet that once you give the car the OK to go through an intersection, it's going to do just that, even if it turns red just before you go under the light. I hope I'm wrong

It actually stops if you can't make the light. I confirmed the moment the message appeared. Then the light turned yellow so a message indicating the yellow light popped up. I immediately tap to confirm again but the car continued to slow down and stop.

I have it all on video. Will post tomorrow

Just got the traffic light & stop sign response feature and went on a quick 10 mn test drive.

First impressions
Automatically stopping for red lights is great and I don't mind hitting the stalk to continue when the light turns green. If it just did that, it would be a good L2 feature. Personally, I prefer to hit the stalk rather than tap the accelerator. It seems like an easier gesture to hit the stalk. With the accelerator, I was not sure how much pressure to apply. The messages are easy to see if you are paying attention.

I do think having to hit the stalk to go through green lights is a bit annoying, similar to the stalk confirmation for NOA lane changes when NOA was first released. I trust that eventually that "green light confirmation" will be removed with more validation, similar to what happened with NOA no confirmation.

The speed limit restriction might be a bit annoying to other cars because it will make you drive too slow for most drivers.

Since this is a just a first impressions review, I did not experience any failures. But based on the videos I've seen, there are certainly some cases that the feature does not handle reliably yet which is a problem.

Just got the traffic light & stop sign response feature and went on a quick 10 mn test drive.

First impressions
Automatically stopping for red lights is great and I don't mind hitting the stalk to continue when the light turns green. If it just did that, it would be a good L2 feature. Personally, I prefer to hit the stalk rather than tap the accelerator. It seems like an easier gesture to hit the stalk. With the accelerator, I was not sure how much pressure to apply. The messages are easy to see if you are paying attention.

I do think having to hit the stalk to go through green lights is a bit annoying, similar to the stalk confirmation for NOA lane changes when NOA was first released. I trust that eventually that "green light confirmation" will be removed with more validation, similar to what happened with NOA no confirmation.

The speed limit restriction might be a bit annoying to other cars because it will make you drive too slow for most drivers.

Since this is a just a first impressions review, I did not experience any failures. But based on the videos I've seen, there are certainly some cases that the feature does not handle reliably yet which is a problem.

Tapping the accelerator works perfectly for me. Any pressure works.

Concerning the slow speed - Tesla still has to sell this to the govt regulators and prove that the car does not speed on streets when this feature is driving.

FSD is "still" not a US based approved function.

Last edited: