Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone should approach a light with a bit of caution to be sure it is safe. You can't always assume its safe going through a green light. A good driver needs to be paying attention to cross traffic to be sure it is stopped or coming to a stop. Emergency vehichles, a drunk driver, or speeding drivers don't always stop. A safe driver usually does this with his peripheral vision and reacts accordingly. Slowimg a bit at the light gives you more time to react to the unexpected, whether you have FSD or not.
I couldn't agree with you more. Never assume you have clear sailing thru any intersection. Several times in my driving career I have noticed cars failing to stop at lights and/or stop signs and was able to avoid an accident.
I just came back from trying 12.6 for the first time and tapping the Go pedal when a light was green didn't seem to much of a problem especially knowing this is beta and the functionality will be improved.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Based on my two days of testing, after tap confirming a green light, another tap is requested and required if the light subsequently turns yellow. That second tap is overridden if light subsequently turns red. Then the car must come to a full stop before a tap allows you to proceed.

this is the gist of the behavior. I say that because I found it surprisingly difficult to tease out the exact nature of the green yellow red sequence after initially tapping during the green phase. One has to approach a lot of lights to observe all of the scenario tree.

while I’m writing, I confirm that it also stops at T intersections even if there is no stop sign.

In my experience it does not yet stop at T intersections without a stop sign or light. Did you experience something different? There are no stop signs at either end of my street or the next street I turn onto.
However, I did notice a grey line appeared at the intersection where I do stop, look and turn left or right. Will be interested to see when this additional feature gets added.

Inability to go 5 over speed limit means I won’t use the stoplights feature again until it advances from the Granny Mode. Almost all of the streets near me are 45 mph zones and I felt like an obstruction today while trying out the update. Even 50 is marginal.

Of course I can —and do - accelerate past 50 at times but at least much of the traffic flows at 50 or so. At 45 I am just a target looking to get hit.

Reactions: chinnam3
I thought Autopilot has been driving at the posted speed limits on local streets before 12.6.

Is there anything different about 12.6 that Tesla have changed?
You obviously have been following Tesla’s advice to refrain from using AP on streets until 2020.12.6. I am a “lawbreaker” and have used AP on streets always. Taking away the +5 over the speed limit makes the new feature almost unusable for my needs.

Reactions: chinnam3
Inability to go 5 over speed limit means I won’t use the stoplights feature again until it advances from the Granny Mode. Almost all of the streets near me are 45 mph zones and I felt like an obstruction today while trying out the update. Even 50 is marginal.

Of course I can —and do - accelerate past 50 at times but at least much of the traffic flows at 50 or so. At 45 I am just a target looking to get hit.

For me.....this might be a perfect time for me to accept my AARP card and don't care about going slow. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: josher32
Not sure if it's related to the update but my AC got wonky after the update. It blows out luke warm air while driving. I can almost hear it keep changing fan speeds.

When it was parked I turned it on with my phone and it cooled the car down like normal, but once I began driving again it got weak.

Also noticed the temp display was reading - - or negative numbers ie -31. I'm assuming it might be related.

This might warrant more testing. The camera is tracking the line where the intersection begins, and it knows how fast it is going, it could be determining whether it has enough time to safely stop when determining what to do with a yellow.
In my experience it does not yet stop at T intersections without a stop sign or light. Did you experience something different?

Yes. This is within my own neighborhood. At two different T intersections. No stop sign. I infer map-based given that the warning begins 600 ft before and there doesn’t seem to be any way to infer from vision only that far away.

repeated on two separate days. Also, in other settings when approaching a T where a stop sign is present, I note that the stop sign visual is displayed. Note that the visual in the included photo is completely different.

Don’t claim to have seen all use cases. Just reporting my observations. hope that helps.

I have enjoyed the new update. It is a learning experience for both me and the car. The only problem I had, was when I approached a red light, and the car was in full auto drive, and I needed to get over into the right hand lane to make a right turn. I pressed the brake and turned the wheel disengaging auto pilot. Put the turn indicator on and as the car slowed up, I took my foot off the brake, and the car shot forward at the set speed of 40mph ---which was the posted speed of the road I had been traveling on in auto pilot. Just for a moment It caught me off guard, and had someone been in front of me, I might have had an accident. Next time I will come to a full stop and hopefully will not have this surprise again.

I have enjoyed the new update. It is a learning experience for both me and the car. The only problem I had, was when I approached a red light, and the car was in full auto drive, and I needed to get over into the right hand lane to make a right turn. I pressed the brake and turned the wheel disengaging auto pilot. Put the turn indicator on and as the car slowed up, I took my foot off the brake, and the car shot forward at the set speed of 40mph ---which was the posted speed of the road I had been traveling on in auto pilot. Just for a moment It caught me off guard, and had someone been in front of me, I might have had an accident. Next time I will come to a full stop and hopefully will not have this surprise again.

Sounds like you turned the wheel which caused the car to go into TACC ( from AP ) and it stayed turned "on" for some reason.

The brake should have turned it all off..... hmmm

same here. The Main Street by my house runs through the city at 45mph. Everyone drives 55mph to 60mph. A few will go faster than that. I never liked AP doing 50mph because it holds up traffic after a few stop lights. Now locked at 45mph I will just make others think we’re the new Prius.

btw, my 1st test last night was pulled over by the police. He was following me and pulled me over when AP got confused when the lane spilts with a bike lane. The car jerked so gave him cause to pull me over. He thought I was drunk because I was doing the speed limit and slowing down for green lights. No tickets. Just told me to be careful.

I did another test today and decided this feature is not for me until it improves. I will keep this Off until it handles stop lights on it’s own without braking for green lights.

I'm in Arizona and waymo is all over the place (before covid), I've personally seen waymo vehicles about 25 miles apart from each other. Keep in mind that phoenix covers one of the nations most populous counties, the city of Phoenix covers 500 square miles, the metro population is just over 5 million people and it's now the 10th largest metro in the US and 5th largest city. To see waymo operating around the heart of downtown (I used to own a 105 room hotel downtown near a major hospital complex) was always a delight, I've driven behind the vehicles, I think they're very close to being ready for much wider release. But just wanted to politely correct that they are not just in one suburb...it is the signups that are restricted to certain areas.

Which FSD?

Approved by whom?

Many folks are testing various systems in various places.

Waymo at least (might be others I don't know) is operating- to end users (though limited audience) robotaxis- but they're in one specific suburb of Arizona, and they have a remote controller who has help the car out if it runs into something it doesn't understand- so it's a level 4 system at best.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm in Arizona and waymo is all over the place (before covid), I've personally seen waymo vehicles about 25 miles apart from each other. Keep in mind that phoenix covers one of the nations most populous counties, the city of Phoenix covers 500 square miles, the metro population is just over 5 million people and it's now the 10th largest metro in the US and 5th largest city. To see waymo operating around the heart of downtown (I used to own a 105 room hotel downtown near a major hospital complex) was always a delight, I've driven behind the vehicles, I think they're very close to being ready for much wider release. But just wanted to politely correct that they are not just in one suburb...it is the signups that are restricted to certain areas.

That's great- except they don't actually operate their public L4 cars "all over the place" which was the thing actually under discussion.

They TEST them all over the place- without the public being in the car or anything.

They operate them ONLY to a small group of public beta testers, and only in a specific, heavily mapped, PART of the phoenix area.

Waymo’s driverless car: ghost-riding in the back seat of a robot taxi

The driverless cars are only allowed to do pickups and dropoffs within the 50-square-mile geofence

They're certainly TESTING lots of other places- but not operating anything available to any part of the public outside that tiny suburb area in AZ.

same here. The Main Street by my house runs through the city at 45mph. Everyone drives 55mph to 60mph. A few will go faster than that. I never liked AP doing 50mph because it holds up traffic after a few stop lights. Now locked at 45mph I will just make others think we’re the new Prius.

btw, my 1st test last night was pulled over by the police. He was following me and pulled me over when AP got confused when the lane spilts with a bike lane. The car jerked so gave him cause to pull me over. He thought I was drunk because I was doing the speed limit and slowing down for green lights. No tickets. Just told me to be careful.

I did another test today and decided this feature is not for me until it improves. I will keep this Off until it handles stop lights on it’s own without braking for green lights.

Yeah, whenever I see someone driving exactly the speed limit, my assumption is that they have kilos of cocaine in the trunk and they are desperately trying to avoid being pulled over.

I still remember driver's ed in high school when they recommended reducing your speed to 5 mph below the speed limit when approaching a stale green light in case it turns yellow while approaching. Nice to see that Tesla has graduated to a 15 year old in driver's ed! :)

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic