Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have similar experience and observations using TACC. One stop sign case I've encountered where it fails is when crossing a 4 lane road with a wide median that has another stop sign after the median before you cross the other 2 lanes. Once I release it to proceed, the car sees the next stop sign but it will not stop at it. I think the confirmation to go stays in effect until you are through the intersection. This may be a problem if it ignores signs/signals until you are through an intersection. There are many cases where 2 stop signs are relative close together.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
So, just returned from a 350 mile trip and had the opportunity to test out the new FW update. My 2 cents:

Traffic Lights:

1. For majority of traffic lights it worked perfectly and as others have described.

2. For more complicated intersections, with multiple traffic lights in close proximity to another intersection with traffic control, the car seemed to balk a bit. But I think this was mainly due to having to confirm for each traffic control. Once the confirmations are no longer needed I think this shouldn’t be an issue.

3. Turning from a traffic light-this was not so smooth in my opinion. So, I was stopped at the light and when it turned green, I lightly tapped on the accelerator and rather than turning at a safe pace it immediately began to increase speed to match the speed (40MPH) of the road I turned into.

4. This was all using TACC. I didn’t test the FW feature using auto steer. For all traffic lights, I used a light tap on the accelerator rather than the stalk to confirm.

Stop Signs:

In my opinion, this is not quite ready for prime time at the current level of the FW (yes I’m aware it’s BETA) and requires more attention to detail than driving through traffic lights. There were a few issues with this that I experienced.

1. It’s stopping way too early at stop signs. I experienced at least 10-15 feet before. Because of that I wasn’t able to see oncoming traffic (due to not being able to see past blind spots since it stopped so far behind the sign). So the only way to fix that was to move forward. However, if you move forward via tapping the accelerator to confirm, the car continues past the stop instead of actually stopping again once you can see past the blind spots. This really needs to be fixed sooner than later. Here’s a pic I took referencing this:
View attachment 538256

It was late at night so I experimented with it a little since there was no one else on the road. Immediately after this screenshot, and while on TACC set to about 10MPH, I tapped the accelerator and I turned left. The car turned left and then came to an immediate stop right in the middle of the turn. Very strange.

In summary, this is an exciting FW to test because it’s a prelude to more refined features that I’m sure will be forthcoming. I for one will NOT continue to use/test it at stop signs at the current version of the FW. Perhaps if there’s some improvement later on, I’ll try it. I will however continue to use it on major roads where there are only traffic lights.
What is FW?

Great post. Another interesting thing I found was that if I was going over a flyover (short bridge/overpass over train tracks), where a stopsign exists on a parallel street below, it thought there was stopsign up top. This is presumably due to the fact that technically the 2D gps location shows a stopsign is there (and along my direction), where a piece of height datum and reading would show it was not.

There was no stopsign visible, but it showed one on-screen exactly where it would have had I been on the street below. The car slowed a very slight bit upon approach, but did not stop. Their weighting algorithm is very good and seemingly uses gps as a suggestion, a visual que as primary, and final user input upon visual confirmation to stop/go. I didn’t have to do anything in this case as it caught itself, quickly, but very cool

I submitted a voice bug report (push the voice input wheel/button) “bug report, there is a stopsign below this bridge, but none up here on top” - not sure if the ai was updated or the car just knew to ignore it later on, but this was fixed after about 3 days. Absolutely blew my mind.

Now that's interesting.

So all cars will now have to also be able to tell how high they are off the "real" ground.

Geeezzz dude....get the feature and try it.

If you bothered reading my previous post that multiple people found helpful and informative (hard to miss, as it was long with multiple screenshots) with all the feedback I gave regarding how I thought the feature worked in various conditions, you’d know that I already have it. I thought it would be worth reading ignored posts to see if I missed anything useful, but I was clearly wrong.. back to ignoring you again.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno
So, just returned from a 350 mile trip and had the opportunity to test out the new FW update. My 2 cents:

Traffic Lights:

1. For majority of traffic lights it worked perfectly and as others have described.

2. For more complicated intersections, with multiple traffic lights in close proximity to another intersection with traffic control, the car seemed to balk a bit. But I think this was mainly due to having to confirm for each traffic control. Once the confirmations are no longer needed I think this shouldn’t be an issue.

3. Turning from a traffic light-this was not so smooth in my opinion. So, I was stopped at the light and when it turned green, I lightly tapped on the accelerator and rather than turning at a safe pace it immediately began to increase speed to match the speed (40MPH) of the road I turned into.

4. This was all using TACC. I didn’t test the FW feature using auto steer. For all traffic lights, I used a light tap on the accelerator rather than the stalk to confirm.

Stop Signs:

In my opinion, this is not quite ready for prime time at the current level of the FW (yes I’m aware it’s BETA) and requires more attention to detail than driving through traffic lights. There were a few issues with this that I experienced.

1. It’s stopping way too early at stop signs. I experienced at least 10-15 feet before. Because of that I wasn’t able to see oncoming traffic (due to not being able to see past blind spots since it stopped so far behind the sign). So the only way to fix that was to move forward. However, if you move forward via tapping the accelerator to confirm, the car continues past the stop instead of actually stopping again once you can see past the blind spots. This really needs to be fixed sooner than later. Here’s a pic I took referencing this:
View attachment 538256

It was late at night so I experimented with it a little since there was no one else on the road. Immediately after this screenshot, and while on TACC set to about 10MPH, I tapped the accelerator and I turned left. The car turned left and then came to an immediate stop right in the middle of the turn. Very strange.

In summary, this is an exciting FW to test because it’s a prelude to more refined features that I’m sure will be forthcoming. I for one will NOT continue to use/test it at stop signs at the current version of the FW. Perhaps if there’s some improvement later on, I’ll try it. I will however continue to use it on major roads where there are only traffic lights.

Did you use your turn signals? From my experience with TACC the car responds properly when you do.

0CB94FA3-ACB3-43B9-B4D4-F9019F682037.jpeg
In Canada, we still see this.

If the argument is that Tesla already has approval for FSD, and simply needs to deliver it, why don’t we have
2020.12.5.6 yet then ?

1.Because they don’t want to release it to Canada yet ?
OR
2. It’s not approved here yet.?

I realize this isn’t FSD, but same argument based on regulatory approval for this update.

View attachment 538604 In Canada, we still see this.

If the argument is that Tesla already has approval for FSD, and simply needs to deliver it, why don’t we have
2020.12.5.6 yet then ?

OR

I realize this isn’t FSD, but same argument based on regulatory approval for this update.

Because you have blinking green lights up there, which is just weird :D

• Funny
Reactions: M109Rider
View attachment 538604 In Canada, we still see this.

2020.12.5.6 yet then ?

OR

Elon Musk on Twitter

Last word was Q3 for non-US locations due to variations on signs allegedly.

• Informative
Reactions: M109Rider
I thought this stop sign recognition release was the rewrite.

I also wonder how you can accurately judge distance with one camera on the side of the vehicle for coming traffic at a stop sign. The front has multiple cameras and radar. But not the side.

The RED line is the road and there is no overlap to see cars coming down the road. Here is a better pic.

Monocular distance estimation is a pretty common operation in machine learning: http://openaccess.thecvf.com/conten...ce_From_a_Monocular_Image_ICCV_2019_paper.pdf

And Tesla actually has the ability to train monocular distance estimators without the need for human labeling due to the forward facing radar. So they can train the neural network on known distances of vehicles seen by the forward facing camera and measured by the radar, and then use that neural network to accurately estimate distance and motion on any single camera around the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16