Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5 New Launch Mode and 2017 P100DL Slower Now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 P100DL had the complete opposite results after the 12.5 update :(.
I was excited to try it out today after getting the update late Friday night. I charged up the car to 100% and engaged Ludicrous + mode with max battery power. Waited for the readouts to appear on the car and took it out. I just did the same tests on March 29th with a new rear drive unit that Tesla just replaced under warranty at around 66k miles. The results were good on March 29th, but definitely losing peak power over the years down to 535kW from 565kW or so from a few years ago. I got a couple of 2.5s times w/roll out to 60mph and then consistently stayed in the 2.7-2.9s range. Today I was hoping for better times, better launches and more peak power.
Unfortunately that’s didn’t happen the initial run at 100% with Launch Control used got me a 2.56s w/roll out. I continued do 10 more runs with launch control and the times over the next several rounds were quite bad as you will see in the images. All runs were in the 3s with a massive drop off in power around 40-45mph, it was very strange feeling the power come off so early and significantly around 40mph. As well all my power stats fell off from March 29th. I also did a 1/4 mile run and that number is the highest I’ve ever gotten 11.9 at 102mph! Afterwards I went back into just Ludicrous mode and I did a few more runs. They were in the 2.9s and low 3s and a 1/4 mile at 11.4 at 109mph. I’m quite confused what happened there. I’m thinking they just didn’t get the power curve right when Ludicrous + is turned on, because it was very limited compared to normal Ludicrous mode that pulled much harder.
Hoping this gets fixed soon!!!
C3584EE4-C85F-49B6-B894-FE6AA8383DE2.jpeg
68F1EB53-C5DF-4BCD-85E5-073814C934F4.jpeg
D0E64963-26E2-445F-ACAD-171597693FDB.jpeg
68326C51-02C4-462A-BD8A-6330ADAAA89D.jpeg
85A6304F-1DBD-44C8-99FC-4A316A789B17.png
35750B49-93B2-4535-BD75-0444BDF2B202.png
A67CF5EE-4E34-4193-BFCA-E10021F3F988.png
F0C3C6DF-D5EF-4E8B-8CE6-40E82C1AF92F.png
513AEBA3-A808-41A1-AFE0-5E9E989E6EE5.jpeg
12FEA2CB-5E9B-44CE-A291-771ED69DE7B1.png

Looks like the 100kwh packs could be part of batterygate now. Makes sense since the oldest among them are approaching the age that the older packs starting getting nerfed. They started with the oldest packs & worked forwards in an effort to reduce warranty claims costs.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I have a 2019 Performance Model S and I just installed 2020.12.5. I put my car in Ludicrous plus mode and drove around until the battery temperature reached 50C. While I was driving around waiting for the battery to warm up I put the suspension in the Low setting. Once the battery was warmed up, I found a nice safe place to launch. I followed the new launch instructions and the display said "Battery power limited." I launched and the max battery power was about 545KW.... disappointing. I checked the suspension settings and my car had reverted to "Standard." I stopped and put the car in low suspension mode and tried again. This time the message was "Launch Mode Enabled." The front end lowered a bit and I released the brake. The acceleration was brutal and the max power was 604KW when I took my foot off the accelerator. I will try again soon on a road where I have more room to keep my foot down.
I think you have to put the suspension in Low just before you launch otherwise the power will be significantly limited.

Thank you for your feedback. It is very likely you have a Raven Model S as they started production around April 2019. My suspension was in low the whole time and my results were quite the opposite of yours. Happy driving!

Ive also noticed Battery heat soak kicking in earlier and reducing power quicker than 2020.8.3. The ludi+ screen that is supposed to appear to show peak KWs did not come up a few times either.

Ill have give in another shot sometime this week.

I did a “bug report” in case this is an issue with the software.

Reactions: UkrHog
I posted earlier and I should have mentioned that my car is a June 2019 Raven Performance Model S. I'll look more carefully next time but I think most of the power increase in 2020.12.5 comes from the rear motor. I'm pretty sure the rear motor and inverter are unchanged in the Raven Performance Models from the P100D Model S, so I'm confused as to why the P100D owners aren't seeing favorable results.

I posted earlier and I should have mentioned that my car is a June 2019 Raven Performance Model S. I'll look more carefully next time but I think most of the power increase in 2020.12.5 comes from the rear motor. I'm pretty sure the rear motor and inverter are unchanged in the Raven Performance Models from the P100D Model S, so I'm confused as to why the P100D owners aren't seeing favorable results.
Thank you. I am confused as well.

I was excited to try it out today after getting the update late Friday night. I charged up the car to 100% and engaged Ludicrous + mode with max battery power. Waited for the readouts to appear on the car and took it out. I just did the same tests on March 29th with a new rear drive unit that Tesla just replaced under warranty at around 66k miles. The results were good on March 29th, but definitely losing peak power over the years down to 535kW from 565kW or so from a few years ago. I got a couple of 2.5s times w/roll out to 60mph and then consistently stayed in the 2.7-2.9s range. Today I was hoping for better times, better launches and more peak power.
Unfortunately that’s didn’t happen the initial run at 100% with Launch Control used got me a 2.56s w/roll out. I continued do 10 more runs with launch control and the times over the next several rounds were quite bad as you will see in the images. All runs were in the 3s with a massive drop off in power around 40-45mph, it was very strange feeling the power come off so early and significantly around 40mph. As well all my power stats fell off from March 29th. I also did a 1/4 mile run and that number is the highest I’ve ever gotten 11.9 at 102mph! Afterwards I went back into just Ludicrous mode and I did a few more runs. They were in the 2.9s and low 3s and a 1/4 mile at 11.4 at 109mph. I’m quite confused what happened there. I’m thinking they just didn’t get the power curve right when Ludicrous + is turned on, because it was very limited compared to normal Ludicrous mode that pulled much harder.
Hoping this gets fixed soon!!!View attachment 531664View attachment 531665 View attachment 531666View attachment 531667 View attachment 531668View attachment 531669 View attachment 531670View attachment 531671 View attachment 531672View attachment 531673
Get used to it. Tesla is gimping the capacity and performance of older Model S cars due to safety concerns (#batterygate), and now states in its warranty that reduction in range and performance, including if caused by a software update, are not covered under warranty. Your warranty may or may not include this language, check the warranty that was in effect at the time you purchased your car.

Tesla is going to keep taking away until a court of law stops them. Elon Musk allowed owners to juice those cars (Ludicrous mode, etc.) for marketing benefit despite knowing that it will cause problems down the road. Tesla's solution is to mask the issues with software, slowly removing performance and capacity to keep the batteries from doing bad things as they age, and after being used in a manner promoted by Tesla itself.

Here is the #batterygate thread: Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: sorka and UkrHog
THAT is terrible news! Based on what I saw on the recent Drag Times video
I expected MORE performance not less! I got the update a few days ago then got it out on Saturday to see how it did. It kinda sucked. I liked the new simpler launch mode but the performance was not good. In fact before my test I was on a transition road on the freeway. When it straightened out I punched it I thought there was something wrong with the car? I/we paid a LOT of money for a car that did 0-60 in 2.28 seconds according to Motor Trend. I hope we "at least" get back the power we lost and gain the power I was expecting. I bought my car in December of 2016 but have less than nine thousand miles on it. I'm guessing that they jacked up the power on the new Raven/Cheetah for bragging rights and cut the power to the rest of us?

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and UkrHog
Hoping this gets fixed soon!!!View attachment 531664View attachment 531665 View attachment 531666View attachment 531667 View attachment 531668View attachment 531669 View attachment 531670View attachment 531671 View attachment 531672View attachment 531673

How are you (and others) getting your performance data? I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the best acceleration I "noticed" was 11.2 when Drag Times showed 11.7 and your car showed 12.0 IIRC?

c3584ee4-c85f-49b6-b894-fe6aa8383de2-jpeg.531664

"What are you referring to when you say 11.2, 11.7 and 12.00?"

In your picture above, the longitudinal acceleration (Long_Accel) is shown as having a peak of 12.0 m/s2 where mine was a sluggish 11.2 and the Drag Times car showed 11.7 m/s2. The equation "9.83 m/s2 = 1G" is for gravity. If we plug in the numbers 11.2, 11.7 and 12.0 respectively in place of 9.83, we get longitudinal acceleration numbers of 1.14, 1.19 and 1.22 G's for the three cars. I came up with these numbers by multiplying the reciprocal of 9.83 or .102 times the accel numbers on our screens. I found a slick website where you can plug in your numbers to do the same thing. Convert Acceleration, g-unit I'm no mathematician but I "think" my numbers are right? I think you said your trap speed numbers were 108 or 109 which is ATROCIOUS! Shouldn't it be around 125 mph?

• Informative
c3584ee4-c85f-49b6-b894-fe6aa8383de2-jpeg.531664

"What are you referring to when you say 11.2, 11.7 and 12.00?"

In your picture above, the longitudinal acceleration (Long_Accel) is shown as having a peak of 12.0 m/s2 where mine was a sluggish 11.2 and the Drag Times car showed 11.7 m/s2. The equation "9.83 m/s2 = 1G" is for gravity. If we plug in the numbers 11.2, 11.7 and 12.0 respectively in place of 9.83, we get longitudinal acceleration numbers of 1.14, 1.19 and 1.22 G's for the three cars. I came up with these numbers by multiplying the reciprocal of 9.83 or .102 times the accel numbers on our screens. I found a slick website where you can plug in your numbers to do the same thing. Convert Acceleration, g-unit I'm no mathematician but I "think" my numbers are right? I think you said your trap speed numbers were 108 or 109 which is ATROCIOUS! Shouldn't it be around 125 mph?

That’s great info. The car dramatically slows down in acceleration/Gs after about 40-50mph. Very disappointing. It was doing much better with out Ludicrous + engaged.
Over 2 1/2 years my max numbers have gone something like this:
580kW, 560kW, 545kW, 538kW, and now 534W :(.
I just gave Tesla all the info and they said they are looking into it. Hopefully something come of this....

That’s great info. The car dramatically slows down in acceleration/Gs after about 40-50mph. Very disappointing. It was doing much better with out Ludicrous + engaged.
Over 2 1/2 years my max numbers have gone something like this:
580kW, 560kW, 545kW, 538kW, and now 534W :(.
I just gave Tesla all the info and they said they are looking into it. Hopefully something come of this....

Is there a way to download or at least see a record of our performance runs or screen history that gives that battery info, longitudinal accel, and motor power from our cars? I've got an old G-tech meter that I used on the car when it was new. The bracket was broken and the replacement bracket was no longer in production so I had to mickey mouse some way to hold it for my runs. It was such a pain in the ass that I haven't used it since. I will dig it up, see what the numbers were and give it another go now and see what happens. I will contact Tesla as well and let them know what's going on. That trap speed is really alarming! Keep us all posted and I'll do the same. Thanks for giving us all that info!

• Love
Is there a way to download or at least see a record of our performance runs or screen history that gives that battery info, longitudinal accel, and motor power from our cars? I've got an old G-tech meter that I used on the car when it was new. The bracket was broken and the replacement bracket was no longer in production so I had to mickey mouse some way to hold it for my runs. It was such a pain in the ass that I haven't used it since. I will dig it up, see what the numbers were and give it another go now and see what happens. I will contact Tesla as well and let them know what's going on. That trap speed is really alarming! Keep us all posted and I'll do the same. Thanks for giving us all that info!
You are welcome and thank you for your input.
I will. It’s just way too much power loss after 2 1/2 years, ~7% or 60 Horsepower, at this rate it will be over 10% loss by the 3rd year :(.