Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5 New Launch Mode and 2017 P100DL Slower Now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This loss of performance SUCKS!!! I would be happier if they had never given us the extra performance and then put us thru this BS of taking it away! I've thought that I might buy a new Roadster in the future but it looks like you could spend a quarter of a million dollars on the car and then they could take back as much performance as they like whenever they want to! Can anyone tell me how to go about making my complaint to Tesla?

Reactions: UkrHog
This loss of performance SUCKS!!! I would be happier if they had never given us the extra performance and then put us thru this BS of taking it away! I've thought that I might buy a new Roadster in the future but it looks like you could spend a quarter of a million dollars on the car and then they could take back as much performance as they like whenever they want to! Can anyone tell me how to go about making my complaint to Tesla?
Agreed, it’s the one thing that keeps making me wonder if I should go a different route after this car?!

Thank you. I am confused as well.
wonder if this has to do with your drive unit replacement.

have you re-tested?

when you charge to full (or 90%) what does your range show in miles? Would be interesting to see if your range degradation is similar to your power degradation of about 7%.

Thanks for sharing the data. Very helpful. Just bought a 2017 P100DL and havent taken delivery yet. Going to do some testing before I sign a damn thing.

wonder if this has to do with your drive unit replacement.

have you re-tested?

when you charge to full (or 90%) what does your range show in miles? Would be interesting to see if your range degradation is similar to your power degradation of about 7%.

Thanks for sharing the data. Very helpful. Just bought a 2017 P100DL and havent taken delivery yet. Going to do some testing before I sign a damn thing.
Congratulations! You are welcome. The range has been the same as before. Brand new it was around 315-317 and now it is at 309-311.

My 2017 P100DL had the complete opposite results after the 12.5 update :(.
I was excited to try it out today after getting the update late Friday night. I charged up the car to 100% and engaged Ludicrous + mode with max battery power. Waited for the readouts to appear on the car and took it out. I just did the same tests on March 29th with a new rear drive unit that Tesla just replaced under warranty at around 66k miles. The results were good on March 29th, but definitely losing peak power over the years down to 535kW from 565kW or so from a few years ago. I got a couple of 2.5s times w/roll out to 60mph and then consistently stayed in the 2.7-2.9s range. Today I was hoping for better times, better launches and more peak power.
Unfortunately that’s didn’t happen the initial run at 100% with Launch Control used got me a 2.56s w/roll out. I continued do 10 more runs with launch control and the times over the next several rounds were quite bad as you will see in the images. All runs were in the 3s with a massive drop off in power around 40-45mph, it was very strange feeling the power come off so early and significantly around 40mph. As well all my power stats fell off from March 29th. I also did a 1/4 mile run and that number is the highest I’ve ever gotten 11.9 at 102mph! Afterwards I went back into just Ludicrous mode and I did a few more runs. They were in the 2.9s and low 3s and a 1/4 mile at 11.4 at 109mph. I’m quite confused what happened there. I’m thinking they just didn’t get the power curve right when Ludicrous + is turned on, because it was very limited compared to normal Ludicrous mode that pulled much harder.
Hoping this gets fixed soon!!!

Well...I just downloaded software 2020.12.11.1, which did not fix the quick power drop issue. My peak KW is normal but around 55-58mph peak KW drops rather drastically....much more than in the past. I recorded it and sent it to my Tesla service center, who are waiting on a review from Tesla tech.

It seems like they played around with the thermo management system and have caused it to overheat the battery on ludi++. As such, power gets pulled too quickly.

I suspect when the 1/4 mile tracks start to reopen...there will be more unhappy P100d owners (pre-Raven).

• Informative
Reactions: sakimano and UkrHog
Well...I just downloaded software 2020.12.11.1, which did not fix the quick power drop issue. My peak KW is normal but around 55-58mph peak KW drops rather drastically....much more than in the past. I recorded it and sent it to my Tesla service center, who are waiting on a review from Tesla tech.

It seems like they played around with the thermo management system and have caused it to overheat the battery on ludi++. As such, power gets pulled too quickly.

I suspect when the 1/4 mile tracks start to reopen...there will be more unhappy P100d owners (pre-Raven).
Thanks for the input. :(

Look on the bright side, you could be stuck with my old P85DL with 114K miles that only does 0-60 in 2.95 seconds (used to be 2.85) without launch mode :rolleyes:

Of course as soon as I'm forced to upgrade from V8 to V10 with a service visit someday, the fun will be over.

The good news is that it's not 'normal' it's a bug that will be fixed. Everyone breathe a sigh of relief.

• Love
Why are you still on V8?

• Twice the supercharging speed of V10 (for 85 batteries).
  • No battery range capping like V10 does.
  • MCU1 is actually still responsive and works will with V8..unlike V9/V10(see the millions of rant posts on this).
  • USB music still works unlike the latest release available for AP1/MCU1 cars.
  • Full split screen between any two apps.
  • Three state traffic data vs two state for V9+.
  • The hundreds of other reasons posted in dozens of other threads(sorry I just don't have time to list them all here).

I just got the download the other day... If this is true i would be choked. Read that one other individual had their motors replaced too. Mine is also on a 2nd rear motor.

How come the vehicle doesn't show translucent vehicle and ypu can normally see the motor when in ludicrous mode?

If this thing doesn't run 10's when the track opens (like it has the last two years in a row).... It's getting sold.

If they are going to reduce total kW output they need to make up for it with the P85D/P90D early power distribution curve. Ive never understood how that much power going into the P85D/P90D drive units, so early in acceleration phase, is ok fo those but not the P100D? The drivelines are virtually identical.

To 30mph my P85/P90D beats (slightly) my P100D after that the P100D comes flying by both of them.