Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5 Rolling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the car have Wifi access where it is parked? The car will find updates on LTE, but will only download them on Wifi.

Also - make sure you have the Software Update Preference toggle on the Software page set to "Advanced".

Besides that you essentially just have to wait until Tesla's servers decide to make the update available to your VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
Does the car have Wifi access where it is parked? The car will find updates on LTE, but will only download them on Wifi.

Also - make sure you have the Software Update Preference toggle on the Software page set to "Advanced".

Besides that you essentially just have to wait until Tesla's servers decide to make the update available to your VIN.

My WiFi doesn’t seem to reach the car but I was planning on using my phone as a hotspot to download it when it eventually shows up, I’ve changed it to advanced so I guess it’s just a waiting game now :)

am I right in thinking it takes a few weeks for the first update to come through?

I think it would be fair to say 'up to a few weeks'. Many people have received first software update very quickly. Ours was within a few hours of getting the car home on collection day.

HOWEVER - In your case, I would book a software service appointment in the app without delay for two reasons:
  • Your current version 2019.35 may predates the version when update notifications were pushed to the car. So you may not get any notification that a new version is available without physically checking in car and, iirc, you must be on wifi to do that - the lte notification mechanism officially came somewhere in the 2019.36 mix and as you have an oddball release in 2019.35.x, there is no guarantee that you will have the lte notification capability.
  • Most important though, is that late 2019, Tesla incorporated a new communication method into their cars to allow them to communicate with the new (now current) network. The old network was due (pre CV) to be turned off sometime in iirc May, and without having the software to communicate with the new network, any car on the legacy software will lose important communication capabilities, including the ability to take software updates. Again, I believe that your 2019.35.x has a very high chance of not having the new network capabilities.

I think it would be fair to say 'up to a few weeks'. Many people have received first software update very quickly. Ours was within a few hours of getting the car home on collection day.

HOWEVER - In your case, I would book a software service appointment in the app without delay for two reasons:
  • Your current version 2019.35 may predates the version when update notifications were pushed to the car. So you may not get any notification that a new version is available without physically checking in car and, iirc, you must be on wifi to do that - the lte notification mechanism officially came somewhere in the 2019.36 mix and as you have an oddball release in 2019.35.x, there is no guarantee that you will have the lte notification capability.
  • Most important though, is that late 2019, Tesla incorporated a new communication method into their cars to allow them to communicate with the new (now current) network. The old network was due (pre CV) to be turned off sometime in iirc May, and without having the software to communicate with the new network, any car on the legacy software will lose important communication capabilities, including the ability to take software updates. Again, I believe that your 2019.35.x has a very high chance of not having the new network capabilities.

Thanks for this, I’ve just scheduled it in on the app, it’s saying that someone will be coming out (don’t live near a service centre). Is it not something that can be done OTA or does someone actually need to come out?

Here is the full story Tesla Releases New Software Updates, Includes Immediate Forced Update

Looks like 1st May (not sure if that will have changed) was the proposed cutoff and 2019.40.2.3 was the minimum software version. So it may require a physical presence of Tesla service staff.

Thanks for this, I’ve just scheduled it in on the app, it’s saying that someone will be coming out (don’t live near a service centre). Is it not something that can be done OTA or does someone actually need to come out?

This information - if accurate - should be stickied I think. It's too important for new members not to see when looking for info on updates.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Still on 2012.12.5.
Interesting dilemma for the car. Two full sets of traffic lights for straight on and right turn but only one on the screen
I was waiting for the right turn and the one on screen turned green. It was of course For the straight on lane!

I notice that if you are first to the line, because in Europe the traffic lights are on the footpath and not strung over the road as in the US, sometimes I am too far forward for the camera to see the colour of the lights. They see it as I stop then it can vanish and just leaves a traffic light without lights.
Not quite sure how that could be overcome without some mechanical modification of the camera.

I’m on 2020.12.11.2 and I’ve had my car unlock the boot and it’s self twice in 3 days - anyone else had this? I’ve been well out of range when happened and not in the App. The stats app alerted me both times.

Is that TeslaFi? Is it the 'car unlocked' notification event that triggers this or is it another one that is in a less obvious place? The only other one that I have is windows down.