Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loving these updates. I think this is my fourth one since I took delivery a month ago and I am getting them within 3 days of the first people reporting online. Super happy and hope they keep them coming. Had my SSD in my car and didn't bother unplugging, packing it in to my PC, clicking around through clips, then running it back into the car to re-connect. Just not worth it to see someone walk in front of my car, but always bothered me in the back of my head if someone had done something. Not now, I simply click to view on screen and it's simple to find by date and time.

I went back to find some weirdo street racers that passed us and were driving crazy a week ago. Super cool to be able to change views from cameras. I was able to find this dude who pulled behind us, drove right on our bumper, then rode along side of us super close before meeting up with his buddy at the next light. Upon reviewing the footage of the right side camera, he rolled down his window (In the rain by the way) right as he was passing us almost like he was getting ready to send some hate filled projectile our way.. I was able to see he didn't throw anything at us but totally turned side ways and did a full on 3 second stare allowing me to pause and snap a screenshot if I wanted. Had he thrown something I would have had his face and then his license plate from my front camera at the next light. All ended up as nothing but some entertainment from a couple guys in their pop-can street racers, but it was really cool to see how this could help me out when needed.

Kudos Tesla! Prob my best update so far, I will actually not be too lazy to view my footage and actually utilize it's usefulness now.

Ride on my garage dwelling Covid-19 avoiding riders. Ride on! Virtually... Ride on...

Would be great to have a view showing the map locations of the clips. Easier to remember than timestamp IMO.

Like this idea. Geotag them is fun for reordering. Some great software additions there always wanted to view this in case when a warning popped up. Latest was a family resting their doors front and back on the car and then the kid licks the rear window lol.....

Next would be a nice addition to the app to review and download them there, stream them right from the cars storage even.. :D

All this talk about free upgrades like we didn’t pay a premium for this benefit.

One of the reasons many (and likely yourself) have bought this car, is because of advantages like free over the air updates.

Over the air updates are a win win for Tesla and its owners.
It’s ONE of their major selling advantages. That’s the reason you continue to get so many great updates and new functionality.

If Tesla only sent out updates that focused on functionality around FSD from here on out, they would really owe you nothing more. That’s not their goal, and it wouldn’t help them, but they would owe you nothing more.

We all know these updates are something Tesla has said we will continue to get. Some free, some paid.
Again, it helps them and us.

It’s the entitled view that a few people here have that’s so sad;
“Give me the additional features I want, because I paid for them all upfront already, and you owe them to me now.”

That’s not really true. You’re getting them because it helps Tesla make great cars, and sell more great cars. NOT because they owe them to you, or they were ALL already fully baked in the purchase price.

One of the reasons many (and likely yourself) have bought this car, is because of advantages like free over the air updates.

It’s ONE of their major selling advantages. That’s the reason you continue to get so many great updates and new functionality.

If Tesla only sent out updates that focused on functionality around FSD from here on out, they would really owe you nothing more. That’s not their goal, and it wouldn’t help them, but they would owe you nothing more.

We all know these updates are something Tesla has said we will continue to get. Some free, some paid.

“Give me the additional features I want, because I paid for them all upfront already, and you owe them to me now.”

That’s not really true. You’re getting them because it helps Tesla make great cars, and sell more great cars. NOT because they owe them to you, or they were ALL already fully baked in the purchase price.

It is not entitled to want these OTAs when the company uses them as selling points. It is also foolish to think that future development costs aren’t baked into the purchase price. I sincerely doubt the company treats these costs as loss leaders.

Reactions: Zoomit
Downloaded the update. Noticed my cruise control wasn’t working ( this is a big deal, I use autopilot on about 98% of my commute). So looked and my nav update was pending. I guess the 12.5.1 update wiped out my wifi settings. So anyway used my phone on the drive to work to try and download the nav. Sadly It’s a big download so it’s taking forever.

Attachments

• D852CAC7-A37E-41ED-8194-111AFDB446B0.jpeg
    D852CAC7-A37E-41ED-8194-111AFDB446B0.jpeg
    917.8 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: lUtriaNt

Oh no....you are incorrect.

They owe ME these updates because they never gave me my small model 3 when I purchased my car. At least they can give me some updates to compensate.

lol

It is not entitled to want these OTAs when the company uses them as selling points. It is also foolish to think that future development costs aren’t baked into the purchase price. I sincerely doubt the company treats these costs as loss leaders.

Well, you initially stated you paid a premium for these updates, implying you are then entitled to them.
You’re now stating “it’s not entitled to want them.“

Wanting them is ALL good. We all want them. Nothing wrong with that.

Future costs may be baked in to the development, but where does that fit in to being entitled to all upgrades ?

Again;
“Give me the additional features I want for free, because I paid for them all upfront already, and you owe them to me now“.

This logic is where I think some owners are misguided.

Tesla has a vested interest in giving OTA updates for free. Doesn’t mean you’re entitled to them. (FSD aside).

Well, you initially stated you paid a premium for these updates, implying you are then entitled to them.
You’re now stating “it’s not entitled to want them.“

Wanting them is ALL good. We all want them. Nothing wrong with that.

Future costs may be baked in to the development, but where does that fit in to being entitled to all upgrades ?

Again;
“Give me the additional features I want for free, because I paid for them all upfront already, and you owe them to me now“.

This logic is where I think some owners are misguided.

Tesla has a vested interest in giving OTA updates for free. Doesn’t mean you’re entitled to them. (FSD aside).

Your semantics aside, I think you need to rethink what you are reading. If the costs are built into the purchase price you are paying a premium for services yet to be delivered.

And again, if I am sold a car with the promise of OTAs (used as selling point) I am entitled to them. I am not entitled to any specific ones at any specific time, but I am entitled to them.

Also, not free if future dev costs are built into the purchase price.

Last edited:
Your semantics aside, I think you need to rethink what you are reading. If the costs are built into the purchase price you are paying a premium for services yet to be delivered.

And again, if I am sold a car with the promise of OTAs (used as selling point) I am entitled to them. I am not entitled to any specific ones at any specific time, but I am entitled to them.

Also, not free if future dev costs are built into the purchase price.

Updates are a huge selling feature of the car for sure. When purchased this is a welcomed feature to look forward to.
They are likely built into the price, but you did not pay for any of them. They are a selling feature, not a sold feature you paid specifically for. (FSD aside).

It doesn’t mean owners are entitled to demand upgrades, or feature. It’s part of the selling feature of the car, not a specific sold feature you paid specifically for.

Have a look at your purchase agreement.
it won’t have a line item with a price for OTA updates...

I think this is the point I’m trying to make, that is lost with some owners here.

Reactions: bpjod and PACEMD
Updates are a huge selling feature of the car for sure. When purchased this is a welcomed feature to look forward to.
They are likely built into the price, but you did not pay for any of them. They are a selling feature, not a sold feature you paid specifically for. (FSD aside).

It doesn’t mean owners are entitled to demand upgrades, or feature. It’s part of the selling feature of the car, not a specific sold feature you paid specifically for.

Have a look at your purchase agreement.
it won’t have a line item with a price for OTA updates...

I think this is the point I’m trying to make, that is lost with some owners here.

There is no way you are going to win this argument with people who believe "I paid a premium for this so I am entitled to it". Never mind that other cars at this "premium" (BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, Audi, Porsche, Any Large truck) also have this "premium" price and dont offer OTA updates that actually add features to the car.

I agree with you, but you are wasting your time in arguing with anyone who believes that.. you are not changing their mind.

Back on topic...

Downloaded the update. Noticed my cruise control wasn’t working ( this is a big deal, I use autopilot on about 98% of my commute). So looked and my nav update was pending. I guess the 12.5.1 update wiped out my wifi settings. So anyway used my phone on the drive to work to try and download the nav. Sadly It’s a big download so it’s taking forever.

I don't think having to update to the latest nav has anything to do with your cruise control not working. Did you see any message stating the radar is blocked or cameras have reduce visibility?

The other thing you could do is power off the car for at least 3 minutes and see if it starts working again after that cycle.

There is no way you are going to win this argument with people who believe "I paid a premium for this so I am entitled to it". Never mind that other cars at this "premium" (BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, Audi, Porsche, Any Large truck) also have this "premium" price and dont offer OTA updates that actually add features to the car.

I agree with you, but you are wasting your time in arguing with anyone who believes that.. you are not changing their mind.

I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind. I’m only hoping other minds are not influenced by them. :)

I think you are correct. IIRC, the advertising blurbs for Teslas all showed that we are entitled to future updates. I saw it in one of their commercials. No, wait, it was that full page ad in Motor Trend. No wait, it was listed as a feature in their website, along with their estimated range and 0-60 timing. And sure enough, the fine print in my sales contract said I will soon be getting a dashcam viewer. For free.

Yeah, right...

Then you say that the cost of future FREE upgrades is baked into the sales price. Since the Model 3 is therefor overpriced for what you get, perhaps you'd have a more fair deal from BMW, VW or Chevrolet. I hear they have great OTA upgrades, all for free...