Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are correct. IIRC, the advertising blurbs for Teslas all showed that we are entitled to future updates. I saw it in one of their commercials. No, wait, it was that full page ad in Motor Trend. No wait, it was listed as a feature in their website, along with their estimated range and 0-60 timing. And sure enough, the fine print in my sales contract said I will soon be getting a dashcam viewer. For free.

Yeah, right...

Then you say that the cost of future FREE upgrades is baked into the sales price. Since the Model 3 is therefor overpriced for what you get, perhaps you'd have a more fair deal from BMW, VW or Chevrolet. I hear they have great OTA upgrades, all for free...

Feel better? In your rant you missed sales associates, you know the people directly selling you the vehicle. As to your last sentence, I am just wondering, what kind of cost accounting and corporate budgeting experience do you have? Also, that isn't logical - if I am stating that future OTAs are baked into the sales price, the car isn't overpriced for what I get...assuming that OTAs do come, that is.

There is no way you are going to win this argument with people who believe "I paid a premium for this so I am entitled to it". Never mind that other cars at this "premium" (BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, Audi, Porsche, Any Large truck) also have this "premium" price and dont offer OTA updates that actually add features to the car.

I agree with you, but you are wasting your time in arguing with anyone who believes that.. you are not changing their mind.

Yea, the word premium has multiple meanings. I am not saying that I paid a sum of money that puts the car in some kind of premium class. Part of what I paid for is future OTAs, this is the amount in excess of the car's value at the time of purchase. Do you not think you have paid for these OTAs? The costs to develop the OTAs is just a loss leader for future sales?

Last edited:
Reactions: dandrewk
Part of the OTAs is just improvement to sell new cars. They just have the ability to update their prior cars unlike other OEMs. Constant updates to their platform keeps the car fresh from a feature perspective especially on cars they are selling at the moment.

Feel better? In your rant you missed sales associates, you know the people directly selling you the vehicle. As to your last sentence, I am just wondering, what kind of cost accounting and corporate budgeting experience do you have? Also, that isn't logical - if I am stating that future OTAs are baked into the sales price, the car isn't overpriced for what I get...assuming that OTAs do come, that is.

LOL, you called my post a "rant"? All I did was point out your hypocrisy. The rest of your post is so obscure... is there a question anywhere there? Do you work for the White House?

Yea, the word premium has multiple meanings. I am not saying that I paid a sum of money that puts the car in some kind of premium class. Part of what I paid for is future OTAs, this is the amount in excess of the car's value at the time of purchase. Do you not think you have paid for these OTAs? The costs to develop the OTAs is just a loss leader for future sales?

If you received even one OTA update, you "got what you paid for" as far as the advertising goes, but this discussion is WAAAY off topic of this thread, and I am going to take my own advice here.

Would be great to have a view showing the map locations of the clips. Easier to remember than timestamp IMO.
There are a large number of relatively inexpensive third party dashcams that you can get that do this. I have a blackvue 750 (that I installed back before the built in version was even a rumor), and it does this, and have a better field of view front and back, and better resolution. Not to mention wifi and cloud features that actually work. While it's nice to see the evolution of the tesla dashcam, it has always been like they didn't do any actual research into what's available and what people want. You can get a properly evolved product now, and can stop worrying about the teslacam.

If you received even one OTA update, you "got what you paid for" as far as the advertising goes, but this discussion is WAAAY off topic of this thread, and I am going to take my own advice here.

Agreed and will do likewise. However, this happens in firmware update threads all the time. There is always someone with an inflated sense of entitlement blasting Tesla for their free upgrades.

Agreed and will do likewise. However, this happens in firmware update threads all the time. There is always someone with an inflated sense of entitlement blasting Tesla for their free upgrades.

Where’s 2020.12.5? (see my post in this linked thread for an outline of how all these threads tend to go, I am sure you will agree)

Reactions: dandrewk
A simple thank you to Tesla would suffice...
As a software dev, indeed. It's the rule of all dev: For every feature you add, there will be generated requests/"need" for 5-10 new related features, and potentially a few bugs related to it.

Example that happens all the time:
Say I allocate 5 days to implement feature A. After 3 days I realize the feature is good, tests are good etc... So I spend the last 2 days improving it, implement a few additional related features B, C and after 5 days I'm really happy with the results.

Then at the feature demo there's always the:
1. You added feature A and B, why not C too?
2. D would be really cool.
3. B should have E and F to be useful.
4. It's useless without feature G
etc...

Every feature is progress, and having a dashcam viewer is better than not. Even if you can't delete multiple files simultaneously yet. I'm sure they'll add it later if they get spare time ;)

On our GIT I think the average time for implementating a feature/fix something, fully validated and deployed is around 4 hours. People often ask, if X takes just a few hours, why not just do it? Reason is our GIT has ~2000 issues/requests.

I'm sure Tesla has it the same way, it may take just 2 hours to fix bug X, but ... Y x 100 is more important.

Regarding cones, both HW2.5 and HW3 see/perceive the same things (cones, lights, stop signs, etc.). They are running the same code regardless of HW version (2.5 or 3), AP version (basic, EAP, FSD, or SR/nothing), or whether AP/NOA is engaged or not. They are "always on" perceiving the environment. Tesla just determines via software which items are rendered in the UI.

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
There are a large number of relatively inexpensive third party dashcams that you can get that do this. I have a blackvue 750 (that I installed back before the built in version was even a rumor), and it does this, and have a better field of view front and back, and better resolution. Not to mention wifi and cloud features that actually work. While it's nice to see the evolution of the tesla dashcam, it has always been like they didn't do any actual research into what's available and what people want. You can get a properly evolved product now, and can stop worrying about the teslacam.

Or they know exactly what people want, but can’t always deliver these results quickly or easily for a host of reasons.
I’m pretty sure a company as advanced as Tesla also likely knows what’s available in the highly Technical world of dash cams. Not having the tech perfect right away doesn’t mean they don’t know how, or they don’t understand the market. :)

Why did it take Blackvue so so long to get where they are now. All they do is dash cams. Why did their programmers not deliver the best resolution initially, with all the integration initially, that they have now? (That was rhetorical)

I would suggest you may be over simplifying the differences between a company that just makes a dashcam, to a state of the art car, and it’s integration.

Reactions: sduck and ChrML
Back on topic...

I don't think having to update to the latest nav has anything to do with your cruise control not working. Did you see any message stating the radar is blocked or cameras have reduce visibility?

The other thing you could do is power off the car for at least 3 minutes and see if it starts working again after that cycle.

No warning messages, tried reboot, no worky. I’ve driven the car almost 14k miles, likey 13500 of those I’ve been on autopilot. I only say this to say “I’m not a completely ignorant moron” in a polite method. Maybe “this ain’t my first rodeo”.

I assert it had everything to do with it. After the maps updated, cruise control and autopilot worked again.correlation vs causation. Good luck convincing me I’m wrong.

Did anyone with MCU1 get the new Dashcam Viewer function?
My 2020.12.5 install completed, and it has the new dropdown list when you touch the DashCam icon, but that list only shows the "Save Footage" selection, not the "Launch Viewer" selection.
Also, my Release Notes don't mention the new Dashcam Viewer.
Thanks.

Last edited: