Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update notice at 4 am this morning (storm woke me up) so updated to it 3 hours before starting a 700 mile trip from north GA mountains to SW Florida. Used navigate by autopilot the entire way with 3 charging stops and 3 rest area stops. Only saw two Tesla’s total charging today. Light but decent amount of traffic. No problems at all other than AP kept trying to get me to let it take me out of the Atlanta HOV lane. Didn’t seem so determined to stay exactly in center of lane like it used to. Also didn’t veer you to center quickly upon activation of AP at all. Also skipped the crappy Atlantic station chargers in downtown Atlanta this time. Forgot to even check if it showed them as all operational in this release. Love the replay option on TeslaCam.

That bolded part is interesting. Tesla really needs to implement a better way of starting AP. There’s no good reason for the car to veer toward the center of the lane when you enable AP. It’s mega uncomfortable for everyone in the car. A graceful adjustment of lane position is all that’s needed, especially since the car knows the driver only just relinquished control to the computer.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I trained my daughter to Google so she can get answers faster and not be a burden on society asking tons of questions that have already been answered. You're welcome.
True, Google is a good source for things already known.

The only problem is that WE ARENT talking about something that has been answered.

We are talking about why a person isn't getting his car updated.

Things like this can't be googled. You have to ask someone.

• Disagree
Yes its like saying well this car doesn't need to be serviced as much as a conventional ice car but add in the corrective service center visits that will burn up more time than an oil change. Phantom Braking is a thing so is quality control and until proven otherwise as an owner and recipient of software updates not only is the build quality in question now but so is the software. I am not against a future vision we need EV’s but there is doing it right or doing it sloppy. Releasing software to frustrate your customers is sloppy. Especially with a non existent deadline. Whoever tests this back at mothership needs a new objective.

You say you want a future with EV’s.
Elon and Tesla are the reason EV’s are now growing to that future. The other guys wanted nothing to do with them until he forced their hand.

Here’s the catch CertLive; Tesla can’t improve, innovate, or create new software for that future if they can’t sell cars now.
You and I helped by buying one of their cars.

He used that profit to start improving on the cars, so they get better. ElectricIAC then saw them getting better, and he bought one also.

Now he has more money to innovate and add features like a dashcam viewer. !
It’s not perfect, because he needs to spend time, money, and resources making more cars, to work on more innovation to sell to stay strong and continue to grow. That imperfect dashcam viewer will help sell more car for now though. He will continue to improve it though.

I guess if he was truly a smarter business man, he would have said WAIT, I really need to stop everything, and make sure CertLive is completely happy with a fully baked Dashcam viewer before we do anything more.
However, I suspect if he did this, his company would start to falter. If he stopped every time he had a new feature to work on, to ensure it met the perfect standards you and say ElectricIAC insist you’re entitled to, I’m pretty sure Tesla would die.

He’s developing, releasing, and then improving it as he goes along. Just like many other successful companies do. It’s the only way he can. It’s not incompetence, it’s how he survivors and sells more cars. Eventually, he will improve it, when more are sold. Be patient.

But if you think you’ve got his business model locked down to a better path; for all our sakes, please give him a quick call, and make sure he knows how to deploy his cars and software much better than he’s doing it now, so he can truly be successful and follow your better business model.

You say you want a future with EV’s.
Elon and Tesla are the reason EV’s are now growing to that future. The other guys wanted nothing to do with them until he forced their hand.

Here’s the catch CertLive; Tesla can’t improve, innovate, or create new software for that future if they can’t sell cars now.
You and I helped by buying one of their cars.

He used that profit to start improving on the cars, so they get better. ElectricIAC then saw them getting better, and he bought one also.

Now he has more money to innovate and add features like a dashcam viewer. !
It’s not perfect, because he needs to spend time, money, and resources making more cars, to work on more innovation to sell to stay strong and continue to grow. That imperfect dashcam viewer will help sell more car for now though. He will continue to improve it though.

I guess if he was truly a smarter business man, he would have said WAIT, I really need to stop everything, and make sure CertLive is completely happy with a fully baked Dashcam viewer before we do anything more.
However, I suspect if he did this, his company would start to falter. If he stopped every time he had a new feature to work on, to ensure it met the perfect standards you and say ElectricIAC insist you’re entitled to, I’m pretty sure Tesla would die.

He’s developing, releasing, and then improving it as he goes along. Just like many other successful companies do. It’s the only way he can. It’s not incompetence, it’s how he survivors and sells more cars. Eventually, he will improve it, when more are sold. Be patient.
To think that Elon himself takes time out of his undoubtedly busy day to develop these features himself is patently hilarious. He has a phone and a checkbook and knows how to use them.

To think that Elon himself takes time out of his undoubtedly busy day to develop these features himself is patently hilarious. He has a phone and a checkbook and knows how to use them.

Yeah, just like Jobs and Gates. They had nothing to do with the success of Apple and Microsoft. They just “wrote checks.”

Now pardon me while I patently laugh out loud.

It did make me chuckle. You see when you release an update that makes things worse it lowers the bar... We all want to see an improvement. I would love to know if Elon is really that involved in these updates why he would not expect that when you release an update it doesn't stop voice commands from functioning, it doesn't allow the car to break for no reason with phantom breaking, it does not add a video player than with a few more days work would run fantastic for end users. This is a reality for Tesla owners that is quite avoidable if you hold that T badge in high regard and not its drivers as the cannon fodder of a development team. Steve Jobs would have fired them by now in pursuit of excellence. More haste less speed and better quality releases on these great new features.

It did make me chuckle. You see when you release an update that makes things worse it lowers the bar... We all want to see an improvement. I would love to know if Elon is really that involved in these updates why he would not expect that when you release an update it doesn't stop voice commands from functioning, it doesn't allow the car to break for no reason with phantom breaking, it does not add a video player than with a few more days work would run fantastic for end users. This is a reality for Tesla owners that is quite avoidable if you hold that T badge in high regard and not its drivers as the cannon fodder of a development team. Steve Jobs would have fired them by now in pursuit of excellence. More haste less speed and better quality releases on these great new features.

lol. I guess obstinance is what it is.

• Disagree

We are beta testers. That's the model Tesla has used since day one. That's how they improve the accuracy in different scenarios. Its not much different from Windows, OS X or any major operating system. If Tesla developed a one size fits all automated system now, it would resemble what the other guys have, lacking the features we've come to expect. Also, it's a daunting task to try to test and correct for every situation during initial development. At some point, it has to be tested under real world conditions. And yes, there will be bugs.

You'd have a better argument with a feature like the Sentry player, but I haven't used it yet to comment.

Anyone who buys a Tesla should know what they're getting into to. It's not like you're forced to use Autopilot. And it's funny that you brought up Steve Jobs. I can't name a single major piece of software developed by Apple that's bug free.

Last edited:
I'm surprised I haven't received it yet, given my location and the fact that I usually get updates within a day or two of the first rollout. I do have my software settings to advanced (if that even does anything) and am on WiFi in my garage almost 24 hours/day these days, so not sure why the difference this time.

Third. I'm usually on to the newest .X release before even 10% of people on TeslaFi have it. .X.X sometimes never comes which is fine and I totally understand. A little surprised that 1/3 of TeslaFi cars have it and my car still says it's up to date on 2020.8.3. I'm happy that it's been pretty stable for me, so I'm not in a rush to get this new one. Just a bit surprising.

OMG. Tesla does not have an App Store.
This programmer, needs to grow a pair and send out a fix. He chose to program this, man up and fix it.

Tesla releases a FREE upgrade for you, and you complain about a third party app.
This is just like an entitled owner I suppose.
Can I loan you my glasses... because you obviously didn't read. The complaint was that Tesla puts stuff out w/o letting the community know what's up... you just have to pray to a non-existent god and hope the next one doesn't affect you.

Also... note that Rodie indicated they were prioritizing a fix that night. They have no choice but to 'react' ... Tesla does not allow 'pro-action'.

Finally, NOTHING about Tesla s/w is free. Tesla/Elon's PROMISE is that the car gets better as it ages.... and you pay premium for it when you buy it. So, don't give me this FREE upgrade BS.