Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla viewer only shows Saved videos and Sentry videos. It will not display the normal recordings. Is this what you're experiencing?

I think that’s the case but how is that helpful? With roadie I can see recent clips of my drive and I can then choose to save. This is helpful i would imagine to document an accident or event of interest while driving. Are you saying it won’t capture this in the new viewer or you just can’t see it and instead have to unplug the USB device and located the dashcam clip in a computer? If so that makes no sense why it would show sentry clips but not recent recorded dashcam ones.

I think that’s the case but how is that helpful? With roadie I can see recent clips of my drive and I can then choose to save. This is helpful i would imagine to document an accident or event of interest while driving. Are you saying it won’t capture this in the new viewer or you just can’t see it and instead have to unplug the USB device and located the dashcam clip in a computer? If so that makes no sense why it would show sentry clips but not recent recorded dashcam ones.

It shows sentry files and any manually SAVED files as well.

If it's a clip you want to actually keep you'd want to save it anyway- either tapping the camera icon or honking saves the last 10 minutes of recent footage.

Otherwise it's going to be overwritten in the very near future regardless.

• Informative
Reactions: dandrewk
I think that’s the case but how is that helpful? With roadie I can see recent clips of my drive and I can then choose to save. This is helpful i would imagine to document an accident or event of interest while driving. Are you saying it won’t capture this in the new viewer or you just can’t see it and instead have to unplug the USB device and located the dashcam clip in a computer?
Only if the event you want to document is more than 10 minutes ago. Otherwise just tap the dashcam icon to save the video. Once saved, it can be played in the internal viewer. Using something like Roadie isn't fundamentally different in this case, just that you copy the video to your phone instead of moving it to the Saved directory on the memory device.

In any case, after about an hour, any dashcam video that you haven't excplicity saved or copied to your phone is deleted.

I got the update, other than dashcam to view my dashcam videos that no longer work, what else is new? Hah. I haven't even driven my car in weeks now.

Cones visible on HW2.5

Supercharger info now shows out of service ports at superchargers.

Plus the usual general "bug fixes and updates" type stuff where everyone insists they think some random behavior got better or worse and everyone else says the opposite.

IMG_20200412_170105.jpg
Nice, I rebooted the screen and finally grabbed the update!

Attachments

• 15867255224102483403949269118289.jpg
    15867255224102483403949269118289.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200412_170105.jpg
    IMG_20200412_170105.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: TX_M3P+
Only if the event you want to document is more than 10 minutes ago. Otherwise just tap the dashcam icon to save the video. Once saved, it can be played in the internal viewer. Using something like Roadie isn't fundamentally different in this case, just that you copy the video to your phone instead of moving it to the Saved directory on the memory device.

In any case, after about an hour, any dashcam video that you haven't excplicity saved or copied to your phone is deleted.

Roadie keeps all files until it runs out of space. That can be several hours worth.

Roadie keeps all files until it runs out of space. That can be several hours worth.
Ah, OK. I thought it was just a wireless USB stick, but I just saw that it's actually a RasPi Zero (similar to the various DIY projects), so it can continuously copy the dashcam video to a safe place.

I'm really happy to finally have an internal viewer. It would be great though if it showed the image while scrubbing through a video to make it easier to find the trigger event. Another function it should have is to format the memory card/stick. Otherwise, great update.

An unrelated annoyance: I wish I could turn off the traffic cone visualization (my car is still on HW2.5, so I didn't have it before). It's distracting and useless, given that most of the time what it detects aren't actually traffic cones ...

Last edited:
Are you saying it won’t capture this in the new viewer or you just can’t see it and instead have to unplug the USB device and located the dashcam clip in a computer? If so that makes no sense why it would show sentry clips but not recent recorded dashcam ones.

TeslaCam records everything like it always has, it just that the Viewer only show Sentry stuff and stuff you've saved. Use your Roadie to see the other stuff.

I realized that the sentry mode stopped recording after 12 hours. I mean, it seems that is triggering as usual but no recordings are inside the usb when I checked them. Has anyone else the same issue after the 2020.12.5 update?

Got the update notice at 4 am this morning (storm woke me up) so updated to it 3 hours before starting a 700 mile trip from north GA mountains to SW Florida. Used navigate by autopilot the entire way with 3 charging stops and 3 rest area stops. Only saw two Tesla’s total charging today. Light but decent amount of traffic. No problems at all other than AP kept trying to get me to let it take me out of the Atlanta HOV lane. Didn’t seem so determined to stay exactly in center of lane like it used to. Also didn’t veer you to center quickly upon activation of AP at all. Also skipped the crappy Atlantic station chargers in downtown Atlanta this time. Forgot to even check if it showed them as all operational in this release. Love the replay option on TeslaCam.

I tested this this weekend. Still veers to the middle of the lane exactly the same way when activating AP. Also had phantom braking as usual. Still work to do, Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan