Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to record whilst driving and save that recording for more than just a few seconds by honking the horn? Reason I am asking is because I want to do a recording of how quiet the roads are at the moment with the lockdown and wanted to film a drive of about 20 mins?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to record whilst driving and save that recording for more than just a few seconds by honking the horn? Reason I am asking is because I want to do a recording of how quiet the roads are at the moment with the lockdown and wanted to film a drive of about 20 mins?
As long as dashcam is active it's recording so you should be able to have the 20 minute clip you're looking for.

Reactions: APotatoGod

It saves 10 minutes of clip if you honk (and honk to save is enabled). But I would just hit the camera icon to trigger the save instead of honking unless there is really no other cars around. And like @XLR82XS said, if your drive is shorter than 60 minute, you could just come home, unplug the USB key and take the footage from the 60 min buffer without even having to save the clips.

It saves 10 minutes of clip if you honk (and honk to save is enabled). But I would just hit the camera icon to trigger the save instead of honking unless there is really no other cars around. And like @XLR82XS said, if your drive is shorter than 60 minute, you could just come home, unplug the USB key and take the footage from the 60 min buffer without even having to save the clips.
thanks to the three of you for your replies - I am downloading this update tonight and shall have a little play around with it in the morning - previously when I tried to view my footage I couldn't seem to find the whole hour on the disc - for the record I have a truly gigantic disc on the car which I think is like 1 terabyte with really fast write and read speeds and I bought it specifically for durability of constant writing etc - so it can be shortage of space - hoping to make myself a nice video of the silent London streets during lockdown to a good track.

Also have had a lot of trouble viewing the recordings to date so will be delighted if Elon has solved that issue with the new update - up to now it has been hard to find a functional player that will run all 4 cameras at the same time

Since this update, my car now reads my emails, but not texts...I tried to use the voice command to send a text, but it came up with an Android / IOS compatibility notice. I have a Samsung Note 8 (Android), but no changes to it's operating software since long before the 2019.12.5 update....very strange....Anyone else see any changes with the text to voice feature??

Here's a very obscure observation that I noticed with the introduction of 2020.12.5 that won't affect the 99% of Tesla drivers who never shift into Neutral*:

Beginning with 2020.12.5, if you're coasting in Neutral and then shift back into Drive, there is now a ~6 second delay before you can engage TACC or Autopilot, even if the TACC/AP set speed and "steering wheel"/Autosteer icon is displayed the whole time. It didn't use to be that way. Previously TACC/AP was available right away upon returning to Drive.

(*I guess my habit of occasionally using Neutral for coasting in my Tesla is a weird artifact of my old days of manual-transmission hypermiling.)

• Informative