Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.6 is downloading!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could handle it. It might not. But it’s certainly possible to write a program where you tell the car to stop at every light,

You literally said you didn't think the cameras were needed for this- just maps.

That's obviously not true since the maps don't know what color the light is- and even the current very-very-beta version of this feature behaves differently based on light color.

Yes- HW2.x could handle a totally different set of much more limited features around stoplights- but that's not what's out there today- and not what anybody plans to intends to write... (because why would they? non-FSD cars don't get ANY stoplight actions besides the "you're about to run one" warning)- and FSD cars get HW3.

Screenshot_20200428-213815.png

Reactions: SoManyM3s
not needed to stop at every intersection.

It stops at every intersection.

Yeah- this is fundamentally incorrect.

It PROMPTS to stop at every intersection that has traffic control but not otherwise.

And even then the driver can then respond, or not.

What the car does with that response is different depending on the color of the light

Additionally- it stops for NON MAPPED traffic control as well when the CAMERAS see it- numerous videos of this happening online if you're unclear.

So yes- cameras are absolutely needed for the current functionality in multiple ways.

As I said- if you want a much lesser version, that simply stops 100% of the time anywhere the map says to, THAT could be done on HW2.5.

It'd make zero sense to do it though.

But the existing stuff? Can't be done without cameras.

Reactions: McFlurri
Yeah- this is fundamentally incorrect.

It PROMPTS to stop at every intersection that has traffic control but not otherwise.
which doesn’t require camera....

And even then the driver can then respond, or not.

which will result in the the car stopping, which you don’t need a camera to do that.

So yes- cameras are absolutely needed for the current functionality in multiple ways.

Not in the circumstances that i layer out in the og post.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matsayz
which doesn’t require camera....

It absolutely does

Again you don't seem to understand what the current SW is doing, at all.

If there's a light or sign not in the map data the car will still stop when the cameras see it

In YOUR suggested "map only" version it'll just blow right through the sign or light since it has no idea it's there.

So yes, it requires the camera to be equal to what it can do today.

which will result in the the car stopping, which you don’t need a camera to do that.

AGAIN 100% wrong.

If you respond to the car prompt and the light is not red it does not stop

If it IS red it does stop.

If it's green when you respond it'll keep going- but if it then CHANGES BEFORE YOU PASS IT IT WILL GO BACK TO STOPPING.

These are all impossible without the camera telling it if it's red or not and noticing when it changes

Not in the circumstances that i layer out in the og post.

In every circumstance the car actually stops today- the camera is needed- I've explained multiple reasons why.

I suggest you go watch some videos on how and what it's actually doing since you seem to have a lot of trouble understanding why you're so off base here.

Doing it purely with map data would be an insane nightmare.

It'd never be able to respond at all to unmapped traffic control devices (of which there's plenty)

It'd never know if the light was red or green (or yellow) and so be unable to properly respond to it. (ditto blinking lights)

When it gets to handling turns it'll be even worse since it won't be able to distinguish arrow lights vs clean lights.

Which is probably why Tesla doesn't do it that way.

It absolutely does

Again you don't seem to understand what the current SW is doing, at all.

What it is doing is irrelevant. I said it was possible to stop at every intersection like the car does without cameras.

If it IS red it does stop.

If it's green when you respond it'll keep going- but if it then CHANGES BEFORE YOU PASS IT IT WILL GO BACK TO STOPPING.

These are all impossible without the camera telling it if it's red or not and noticing when it changes

I’m not sure how this is relevant to the point of stopping at every intersection is possible without cameras?

In every circumstance the car actually stops today- the camera is needed

No, the car could stop at almost every intersection like it does with simply just good map data.

What it is doing is irrelevant. I said it was possible to stop at every intersection like the car does without cameras.I’m not sure how this is relevant to the point of stopping at every intersection is possible without cameras?
No, the car could stop at almost every intersection like it does with simply just good map data.
If the light is red and you accidentally hit accelerator or flick gear lever how would the car know to NOT go through the intersection without a camera? Also how about a temporary/moved/construction intersection that is not mapped?