Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note: when enabled you will have to confirm via the stalk or accelerator pedal even on Green lights. It also limits Autosteer to the exact speed limit

I drove for approx 20 mins after I got the update today. It will take some time to get used to the confirm via stalk or accelerator but the stalk works the best in my opinion. Visuals are great, had some different reactions to train tracks as well. It’s still early so will have some bugs but it’s really exciting to see the progress!

Just took it for a spin.... the stopping is based on map data and not visual recognition... it is so cool...really excited.
Why do you believe this is just based on map data when the release notes refer to visualization and this talk by Andrej Karpathy Senior AI Director at Tesla state confirms both are used?

I highly recommend listening to this. Some great stuff.

Why do you believe this is just based on map data when the release notes refer to visualization and this talk by Andrej Karpathy Senior AI Director at Tesla state confirms both are used?

I highly recommend listening to this. Some great stuff.
I agree that both might be used and that is best utilization. My observation was that even when the stop sign wasnt in visual range AP already knew that a stop sign was coming which is even better a human driver. The traffic lights are for sure recognized based on camera input.

I drove for approx 20 mins after I got the update today. It will take some time to get used to the confirm via stalk or accelerator but the stalk works the best in my opinion. Visuals are great, had some different reactions to train tracks as well. It’s still early so will have some bugs but it’s really exciting to see the progress!

Well probably it will depend on personal preference, I prefer the accelerator. I always keep my foot close to accelerator/brake to respond to sudden brakes, so a simple nudge at stop works great.

Drove with the stoplight and stop sign autopilot today for first time. So far after brief driving, it got it right each time. I like how it stays stopped until you press the gas.
got mine tonight.....worked as advertised.....as far as having to press accelerator to get going again after the stop, I did not like it at first but it makes you pay attention....it take a few stop and goes to get used to the braking once you see the message.....just like the regenerating braking...... I was able to start timing my stops after the message to where it is almost a perfect transition....no jerking at all and smooth transition.....looks like we are getting closer to full self drive....not sure my wife will be able to understand or utilize all the function though...she is somewhat of a just get in a manually drive type of a person.....

Reactions: TravelFree
I played with it for half a day and thought it did a great job, but had to turn off due not exceeding the speed limit. It’s just not practical to not have the extra 5MPH over the limit with other traffic. There are also local roads near me that are 35 MPH that Tesla thinks are 30.

One thing I have noticed.....before 2020.12, I was able to see cars parked on the side of the road or in front of the houses on my street....we no longer have that.....My wife's Model 3 is still on 2020.12.5 and I am on 2020.12.6....am I missing a setting? is anybody else noticed this?

I got the update last night and took it out today for a test. I found it behaved strangely. Basically on the road I was driving, it attempted to stop at every single light regardless of whether it was green, yellow, or red. The visualization is clearly showing the correct light colors so it is able to determine that.

The road I was driving on is a highway with traffic lights. Speed limit is not restricted by the car on this road which might have something to do with the odd behavior.

In any event, I disabled the feature for now because I don't feel it's safe when I am doing 60 MPH coming up to a green light and the car slams on the brakes.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
My impressions, after a brief test drive of the feature in 2020.12.6 this morning:

1. Autopilot uses the GPS database to determine locations of the traffic controls. My community has several stop signs hidden by crests of hills or curves in the road; Autopilot announced the upcoming control hundreds of feet before the stop sign was visible.

2. Car started decelerating via regen braking a couple hundred feet from the limit line. Then actively applied the brakes during the last 25 feet. A little too aggressively IMO; I have enjoyed smooth one pedal driving since I got the car a couple months ago, this was too severe. This will probably get some tweaks in coming months, but it would be nice to have an “aggressiveness” control like the adaptive cruise control following distance.

3. The first couple stops produced a sound from front left corner resembling the sound that ABS braking makes. It went away a few stops later. Possibly was due to the newness of the car; I’ve hardly used the brakes since new!

4. The car comes to a FULL stop at the stop sign. Who does that, anyway? Needs a “California stop” function ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3 and MarcG
Just tried it myself and it works, but I disabled it when I got to my destination. I know it sounds dumb, but minding the thing is a lot of mental work. Or more, at least, than just driving. Also, the zero mph over the speed limit is a non-starter. Even at five over I have a hard time not being the slow car. At least it's a start, I guess

We are marching down the road to Full Self Driving. A self driving car has to obey all the laws, including speed limits.

I wouldn’t bet on having the car respond to traffic lights automatically and speed at the same time.

The speed limit requirement makes this basically unusable around where I live. Even with much less traffic than usual, surface street traffic around here is about +7 above the posted speed limit.

If you drive the speed limit on surface streets, it is so stressful because you will get harassed and tailgated all the time.

I really hope they will remove the speed limit requirement soon so you can set up to 10mph above the posted limit. This is especially useful when the car does not read posted speed limits and relied on a GPS database.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits