Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this says more about the drivers in our areas than FSD :rolleyes:

Still we have to live with the reality of the world in which we live.

Also some speed limits really are artificially set low sometimes to boost revenue with speed camera ticket revenue collection.

The bottom line is that if you drive the speed limit to the dot where I live, you will get tailgated and harassed to oblivion and you need to drive the speed of traffic to survive.

I really hope they remove the speed limit limitation soon. We should be able to set an offset above the posted speed limit by 5-10 mph as we have had the opportunity to do in the past.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
My impressions, after a brief test drive of the feature in 2020.12.6 this morning:

1. Autopilot uses the GPS database to determine locations of the traffic controls. My community has several stop signs hidden by crests of hills or curves in the road; Autopilot announced the upcoming control hundreds of feet before the stop sign was visible.

2. Car started decelerating via regen braking a couple hundred feet from the limit line. Then actively applied the brakes during the last 25 feet. A little too aggressively IMO; I have enjoyed smooth one pedal driving since I got the car a couple months ago, this was too severe. This will probably get some tweaks in coming months, but it would be nice to have an “aggressiveness” control like the adaptive cruise control following distance.

3. The first couple stops produced a sound from front left corner resembling the sound that ABS braking makes. It went away a few stops later. Possibly was due to the newness of the car; I’ve hardly used the brakes since new!

4. The car comes to a FULL stop at the stop sign. Who does that, anyway? Needs a “California stop” function ;-)
#3.....yep me too...scared the hell out of me....thought I had a grinding axle problem

Another thing I noticed today - AP considers roundabouts as “traffic controls” as well - it came to a stop at the yield line before entering the circle. Well, at least 50% of the time. Approaching the same circle from the opposite direction, AP briefly flashed a warning, and then barreled right in. I think this time it got confused because it was following (and providing separation from) another car this time. I definitely feel like a beta tester...

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
First chance to try it out today. Very, very cool!

GPS vs camera: It's apparently both. I watched it tell me there was a stop sign coming up, before it was in view (so, database); and it's correctly displaying the color of the traffic lights (camera). What I was really surprised by: I did some testing in a mostly empty mall parking lot. It was correctly identifying & stopping for not only stop signs in the lot (but not on a public road, and just "gray space" on the moving map), but also painted "STOP" lines at the end of rows (no actual stop sign, and certainly not in a db).

Speed limit: In auto-steer, it insists on the speed limit. The auto-stopping works the same in traffic-aware cruise control, though--and the speed is not so tightly limited.

Stopping after the fact: contrary to what the vid posted by @Nirmaljal (post #20) seemed to show, I watched it stop after I told it to go on a green for a yellow that popped up right afterward. Totally unplanned, I wasn't expecting it to change: approaching the intersection, green light, no traffic or other hazards in the intersection, pulled the stalk as soon as the notice popped up--then, a moment later, the light changed and the car started braking. Cool!!

The hardest part of this is, as others have noted, remembering to "do something" when approaching a green light and it's clear sailing. I'm having a ball playing with this latest update...!

I never have problems with impatient drivers when I drive the speed limit in the right lane. Most of the time I find right lane drivers driving slower than the speed limit. If I decide to ride the center lane, I try to drive with the speed of the traffic around me. I often see those who wzz by at 20-30mph faster than me get pulled over by a cop up the road.

I got the update yesterday and read the thread for a preview. Thanks to those who took the trouble to do videos.

Just got back from a test drive and the new stop sign and traffic light braking is interesting but not ready for easy driving experience, IMO.

It works somewhat. I found the green light slowdown annoying but a press on the accelerator allowed me to pass through coming back up to speed of the cruise control setting, no faster than the posted speed limit.

Red light or Stop sign coming to a stop was borderline scary. There was no slowdown period or too short a slowdown and then the braking was very hard and like others report makes a hard grinding sound in the front. I don't know what that's all about but that doesn't sound mechanically safe to me and good reason not to use this until they fix that.

The only way this feature works is to be in cruise control on city ( not highway) streets. Too often our streets have sharp turns and if the cruise control is set for street speed limit of 30mph, the autopilot system tries to maintain the road sharp turn at 30mph which is also scary even when the dangerous curve warning is 15mph. I don't see the cruise control desirable on non-highway driving.

What I did like is even when not in use the update made the traffic lights and Stop sign big and easily seen on the driver display.

I understand this is beta and was fun to test, but it needs much more refinement before I will want to use it often or as routine as I use navigate on autopilot. . It's more like a game than just a tool to make driving easier as a beta version.

Tried it out today and agree the braking isn't as smooth as I'd like when approaching a stop or intersection. Braking when approaching a green is a little annoying but I figure it's because they're using a combo of map data and cameras. The cameras/sensors can't quite tell yet if the upcoming mapped traffic light is a green or not. I like the system much more in TACC mode where I can still control the speed limit. Overall though, positive progress towards FSD.

Also want to add that I was using NoA and exiting an off-ramp. I wasn't aware that construction was occurring and the car detected all the orange cones and braked safely with plenty of margin. I was ready to take over but was impressed that I didn't really need to. The car handled the unexpected situation very well.

Super impressed with the stop sign recognition (or mapping?) 600 ft out and covered in branches it sees stop signs I can't make out. I drove around town for a while on just cruise control set at 35 and only used the accelerator. stops aren't too annoyingly slow and you can Cali roll them if there is no one around. But it seems to stop in a pretty good place each time.

The speed limit requirement makes this basically unusable around where I live. Even with much less traffic than usual, surface street traffic around here is about +7 above the posted speed limit.

If you drive the speed limit on surface streets, it is so stressful because you will get harassed and tailgated all the time.

I really hope they will remove the speed limit requirement soon so you can set up to 10mph above the posted limit. This is especially useful when the car does not read posted speed limits and relied on a GPS database.

One important thing to notice while learning and testing this new technology...

You do NOT need to have the autosteer enabled. Autosteer is where the lame speed limit lives. I was using only TAC and set the speed 10-12 mph over and it works flawlessly'esque. You can even take turns at intersections. Important to not forget it is on, AKA sudden unintended acceleration risk...

As with almost everything Tesla remeber we are all Beta Testers...;)

Reactions: Jughead135
Guess this why we need to hit the gas or stalk when we come up to a traffic light. I went thru this intersection yesterday and this caught my eye real quick. I grabbed a shot of it before the light changed but missed what the IC displayed. I called the cops and they had it fixed within the hour, when I came back through.

IMG_6429.jpg

Twisted head.

One of the things that impresses me about this new software is how the car is definitely watching the stoplights and reacting appropriately, in preparation for the next step where the car will simply drive through green lights and stop at reds (and make a good decision on yellows).

Example: When I'm coming up on a light that is green, I click the stalk to indicate to the car to proceed. If the light turns yellow before I get to it, the car will once again initiate a stop (but only when it's appropriate, not when I'm already just entering the intersection)! Very smart!

It's obviously aggravating for everyone to drive exactly at the speed limit, but this to me is a small price to pay for the entertainment value of having my car stop on its own for stop signs and lights. I can't really say it's making my drives more relaxing at this point, since I actually have to pay more attention than normal, but I am happy to be contributing to the "million intersections" teslas are driving through that is helping to train the neural network more and more each day!

• Helpful
Reactions: SO16
If this is your first Tesla you’ll realize, “it’s only 6 months old” doesn’t always = the newest stuff unfortunately. In this case all clear, my July 19 raven has it, works as intended.

Thanks Roy, I know what you mean when it comes to tech,

So with that being said, you confirming that yours works but do you have FSD? I don't think anybody ever confirmed definitively whether Active FSD was a requirement for this to work. I did not buy FSD but it would be nice to have this feature.

On the S the small real estate on the instrument cluster makes the traffic light visualisation so tiny it’s impossible to see the light’s colour. Especially since the images appear so suddenly and jiggle “towards “ the car icon.