Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12 out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find this super annoying and total micro-managing by the car! Party because the night rear view camera is so abysmal on late models, and because the mirrors are all dimmed, I often want to wind the window down and stick my head out to see for real what's going on 'out there'. Of course, the moment I do that, the car slams into park. Really annoying and pointless.
No balance will ever please everyone. I've managed to get out of the car on more than one occasion having left it in drive and it has nicely alarmed and put itself into park when I get off the seat. Without needing to put a key in an ignition, turn on the car, or release or enable a handbrake separately, it is extremely easy to do, and I for one am grateful for this behaviour.

No balance will ever please everyone. I've managed to get out of the car on more than one occasion having left it in drive and it has nicely alarmed and put itself into park when I get off the seat. Without needing to put a key in an ignition, turn on the car, or release or enable a handbrake separately, it is extremely easy to do, and I for one am grateful for this behaviour.
Good to hear there is an upside!

Only if you don't have your seatbelt on. The real issue is that the car senses your presence when you sit in the seat (that's how they got rid of the "start" button. The trade off is that if you lift off the seat, the car thinks you're not there and puts car in park. This was a real issue years ago and the solution (perfectly reasonable in my opinion) was to disable the "out of seat" condition if you have your seatbelt latched since you are obviously then still in the car and intending to drive. You may not like the solution they came up with, but its a lot better than before when it could conceivably do this when you were driving at speed and lifted off the seat enough when reaching for something...and the sensor has to accommodate lightweight drivers as well as heavy ones.

Reactions: Battpower
the solution (perfectly reasonable in my opinion) was to disable the "out of seat" condition

Very reasonable! And the seatbelt defeat option is perfect for the odd occasion (eg: parking in tight / dark space, loading on car lift) when you might need to be off the seat with head out of window.

If they do get the b-pillar cams on to the mcu screen, might not ever need to lean out of window and drive.

I got a message yesterday that a software update was available. Using my phone, I told it to install. later, i got a message that a software update was available, which my me realize it had not installed. Later, I went out in my car to run an errand. When i came back, i used the center screen to schedule an installation overnight. Then this morning I got a message that a software update is available, not a message that a new one had been installed. So, that is two failures to install. That is concerning. I have no idea whether or not the update queued up in my car is 20.12....but probably it is.

I got a message yesterday that a software update was available. Using my phone, I told it to install. later, i got a message that a software update was available, which my me realize it had not installed. Later, I went out in my car to run an errand. When i came back, i used the center screen to schedule an installation overnight. Then this morning I got a message that a software update is available, not a message that a new one had been installed. So, that is two failures to install. That is concerning. I have no idea whether or not the update queued up in my car is 20.12....but probably it is.
2020.8.1 and 2020.12 both behaved like this for me also. At first I thought it might have been a sign the eMMC is biting the dust.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I had the same issue trying to install the latest two updates. They repeatedly failed via the mobile app.

I ended up needing to get in the car, perform the steering wheel button reboot, then initiate the update from inside the car.

And yea, I thought my eMMC was dying as well. Glad to hear it's not just my car that had an issue with the updates.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I had the same issue trying to install the latest two updates. They repeatedly failed via the mobile app.

I ended up needing to get in the car, perform the steering wheel button reboot, then initiate the update from inside the car.

And yea, I thought my eMMC was dying as well. Glad to hear it's not just my car that had an issue with the updates.

Hmmm, I guess I will try that. i was leery of starting the install again and having it hang up. This is no time to be making trips to the service center, which is what i had to do the last time an update stalled (it froze my computer).