Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently installing 2020.12 in an LR+ and I have no idea what it is. Anyone else get it?
Screenshot_20200313-124746~2.png

Why would a release that increases range, makes blue tooth better, and makes voice command better be called lame?

May not be world changing, but there also are usually behind the scenes improvements that fix issues and make the car more dependable.

Because all of these things were done by 2020.8, and are just being reported again in the 2020.12 release notes.

Presumably there is something more than bug fixes since it has a new master version fork, but apparently there are no new consumer facing features - at least for the particular configuration of car chadever has.

Drove about 90 minutes in moderate to heavy rain this afternoon at freeway speeds after the 2020.12 update. Old build was 2020.4.1. Main objective was to see if the right front camera obscured messages would get resolved in the new build.

First, NoA would not navigate to/thru exits on freeway. I saw this twice & called Tesla support. I was seeing degraded NoA warnings & double blue lines for lanes, but I don’t know exactly what the degraded NoA messages mean.

Second, NoA appeared to completely crash & fail as I passed a semi in heavy rain/spray conditions. I saw the red warning to take control of the vehicle, and all NoA icons vanished. About a minute later after passing the semi, the icons reappeared. I called Tesla again on this, they said there was a right front camera error logged but I saw nothing on the dash. I have seen this apparent NoA crash happen in the last build under rainy freeway conditions, and it took More than two minutes for the NoA icons to reappear. Auto high beams and auto wipers stop functioning as well. So, the new build seems to recover quicker from the apparent crash.

I’d say side-to-side lane jitter is the same or worse than the last build under these driving conditions.

I’ll have to try the NoA auto freeway exit test again tomorrow without rain. Overall, I’m not very impressed by this build.

It didn’t increase range for some of us Pre December raven deliveries.

But maybe it did, increased Regen could certainly help.

LR+ is all "Labeling", well I'm almost sure it's all labeling and they are just aligning what the hardware they bought should get according to recent EPA tests. I don't think they enabled some hardware that magically added 7% range. Even Elon said something along the lines that Model X's were not rated correctly due to on going refinements. He didn't say we are releasing and intentional lock. People got those refinements regardless of how it's labeled when they bought it and how far the battery should go in EPA conditions has not changed. It's just more accurately labeled.

Now, for we know, some (or all) 2019 Raven's might get that efficiency too but just not labeled as such. Why exactly they might not label it, even if it did all the hardware, I'm not sure but there could be marketing, liability or legal reasons.

I've done 40 miles around town with 50% Regen and I'm averaging 265 wh/mi. I've never achieved that in September when I first got the car even with full Regen. But that's hardly a scientific confirmation.

To me, the true test would be to put an LR and LR+ side by side, charge them up full and see how far they go.

Could be Raven LR's have 3/4 of the enhanced hardware and they didn't bother labeling each incremental change.

Maybe when some LR+ get a Scan My Tesla up and running we might get some answers. Maybe.

One thing I keep telling myself. I rather have the unlimited mile warranty on the battery and drive train than 7% more range if I had a choice. Some lucky bastards got both.

I drove today on the same route as a couple of days ago but in sunny clear weather. NoA stayed on (blue line centered in lane), and the vehicle did change lanes to auto exit from freeways.

So, the lesson learned is that when weather causes messages on the display that Nav on Autopilot is unavailable, the vehicle still will auto-lane-change to find a faster lane, but it will not change lanes to perform an auto exit from a freeway.

I drove today on the same route as a couple of days ago but in sunny clear weather. NoA stayed on (blue line centered in lane), and the vehicle did change lanes to auto exit from freeways.

So, the lesson learned is that when weather causes messages on the display that Nav on Autopilot is unavailable, the vehicle still will auto-lane-change to find a faster lane, but it will not change lanes to perform an auto exit from a freeway.
There are two potential message groups. One says one or more cameras are obstructed, which makes it only show your lane in the IC, and when this happens, you can't change lanes at all without disengaging. The other says NoA is disabled, in this case, you can still see multiple lanes in the IC, and you can initiate lane changes, but none of them will happen automatically in my experience.

I’m experiencing major battery drain since this update. Almost 30 miles in 2 days. And the security alarm went off the other night random. Had to silence it from the phone by unlocking the car. Went out and disabled the the security alarm and intrusion sensor. Never had any of these issues before. Anyone else seeing this?

There are two potential message groups. One says one or more cameras are obstructed, which makes it only show your lane in the IC, and when this happens, you can't change lanes at all without disengaging. The other says NoA is disabled, in this case, you can still see multiple lanes in the IC, and you can initiate lane changes, but none of them will happen automatically in my experience.

In this experience, auto-lane change for a faster lane happened while NoA was supposedly disabled (twin blue lines on display).

Just drove my first 60 miles on 2020.12 today. No perceptible increase in range, but my experience with EAP has been terrific! EAP now drives like I might in all situations I noted today!

All the "lane hunting" appears to be gone, and the wheel (which I have a finger on at all times) seems to be correcting many times per second. This has kept the car centered in the lane very nicely even when going around curves in the freeway. Before this update, it felt like EAP was slow on the uptake, and it took longer for the car to realize it was not placed in the lane properly, and would 'overcorrect', causing the car to 'swerve' to the point that I was worried someone may mistake me for an impaired driver. It was 'spot on' today!

Not sure on why the dash cam is now constantly recording and saving - causing me to get a message that my drive was full... so I had to take the thumb drive to my computer to erase all recorded video. I hope that changes soon...