Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.16.2.1 killed my LTE connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the same "no LTE cellular" issue as others have described with my Sept 2019 M3 SR+ with HW v3. Here's what I said to Tesla when setting up an appointment:
Since the upgrade to 2020.16.2.1, I've been unable to connect to any cellular LTE signal. This means no voice recognition, online map navigation (offline only), or any other features when not connected to WiFi at home. Even then, the local WiFi connection keeps disconnecting such that I'm never able to use the Tesla app to query the status (interior temperature) or even remotely unlock the vehicle. (Bluetooth still works.) Can you please requeue up the 2020.16.2.1 firmware to reapply the update?

My LTE connection seems generally to be fine after the most recent update, but I have lost the ability to connect to a number of TuneIn stations (which I use for AM radio stations) that used to work very reliably.

October 2018 build with HW2.5 and lifetime premium connectivity.

I'm having the same "no LTE cellular" issue as others have described with my Sept 2019 M3 SR+ with HW v3. Here's what I said to Tesla when setting up an appointment:
Since the upgrade to 2020.16.2.1, I've been unable to connect to any cellular LTE signal. This means no voice recognition, online map navigation (offline only), or any other features when not connected to WiFi at home. Even then, the local WiFi connection keeps disconnecting such that I'm never able to use the Tesla app to query the status (interior temperature) or even remotely unlock the vehicle. (Bluetooth still works.) Can you please requeue up the 2020.16.2.1 firmware to reapply the update?

I’m interested to hear what there response is.

My car had similar symptoms when I had my HW3 retrofit back in early March. No maps (other than the local cached one near my house), cell signal icon had a diagonal slash through it, couldn't connect to the car with the app, etc. The routine software update to 16.2.1 went smoothly, though (which was on 5/18 for me).

After much debugging by two local service centers, and Tesla remote diagnostics, the root cause was a vague incorrect config toggle in the car's menu that only service can access. I have a Dec 2018 build car.

Still no resolution for me. Going into the service centre on Thursday for a rear window seal that has half separated around the trunk (passenger side) so I will get them to look at this LTE problem as well.

Believe it or not but the fix for the rear window seal is to replace the whole glass!?! I have it tinted so I may end up losing that. Ugh.

I now have a service appointment scheduled for next Tuesday. Tesla re-pushed 2020.16.2.1 to my car to see if re-installing it would fix the issue, which it did not. They did some diagnostics remotely and told me that they either need to re-flash the modem or replace it.

Can't say I have noticed any difference in the LTE connection - but my phone bluetooth works better with 16.2.1 - now unlocks immediately when approaching the car, used to have to wait a few seconds.

Still a pity that Tesla choose to upgrade a game that you can only play when stationery. An upgrade of the radio is badly needed if they want to do something about entertainment.

I hope you both get it solved soon. I found living without the LTE a pain in the butt. Didn’t realize how much I missed it.
Same here - Miss it when you don't have it. I can turn on my Hot Spot on my phone, then everything starts working when I am out and about. But it is a pain in the butt, and ATT limits how much you can use your hot spot.

Keeping fingers crossed that they will not push it out a 3rd time.

It's not the software guys, it's your LTE connectivity boards (as Tesla calls them) aka MCU daughter cards with the e-SIMs and antenna leads that route all the way into your mirror assemblies under the caps (just like the WiFi 4/5 antennas).

And yes, living without some form of connectivity in a car where so much depends on always-connected data streams, sucks. I endured for nearly 4 months (hotspot and all).

Reactions: yyzunderdog
Experiencing the same issue after the recent software update. Was your connectivity board replaced under warranty? Tesla is quoting me around $500. Car is under 1 year old.
It was definitely done under warranty and I’m in the first 30K of VINs so almost 2 years exactly.

They also replaced my back window under warranty as well because the rubber seal near the trunk separated.

And it’s exactly as @Perscitus said - at first they tried reflashing firmware to that board, then eventually replaced it with a new one.