Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove about 100 miles up into the Rockies yesterday, 90% highway, and was very impressed with NoA (HW3). A few things:
  1. On “Normal” lane change setting, it appears to be more decisive about changing lanes. It feels more natural and human in terms of seeing a slot and putting the indicator on. In the past it would take a a few seconds too long to make that decision and by then the situation had changed such that the lane change didn’t make sense or the space wasn’t there anymore.
  2. It’s doing a much better job of changing lanes to pass and then changing lanes back out of the passing lane more quickly as a human should. It feels a lot more natural. If I was observing a Tesla with this behavior from another car, I’m not sure that I could tell the difference between autopilot vs. human at this point. There were a few situations where it was a little too aggressive changing out of the passing lane and getting stuck behind a slow car for a bit. It’s not as opportunistic as a human yet.
  3. Lane changes seem to be slightly tweaked. It is still assertive, but the lane change maneuver isn’t as jerky. It seems to be a few hairs smoother to me.
Agree with others saying that the stopping motion at stop signs and lights also feels smoother.

Good progress all around in this update.

Drove about 100 miles up into the Rockies yesterday, 90% highway, and was very impressed with NoA (HW3). A few things:
  1. On “Normal” lane change setting, it appears to be more decisive about changing lanes. It feels more natural and human in terms of seeing a slot and putting the indicator on. In the past it would take a a few seconds too long to make that decision and by then the situation had changed such that the lane change didn’t make sense or the space wasn’t there anymore.
  2. It’s doing a much better job of changing lanes to pass and then changing lanes back out of the passing lane more quickly as a human should. It feels a lot more natural. If I was observing a Tesla with this behavior from another car, I’m not sure that I could tell the difference between autopilot vs. human at this point. There were a few situations where it was a little too aggressive changing out of the passing lane and getting stuck behind a slow car for a bit. It’s not as opportunistic as a human yet.
  3. Lane changes seem to be slightly tweaked. It is still assertive, but the lane change maneuver isn’t as jerky. It seems to be a few hairs smoother to me.
Agree with others saying that the stopping motion at stop signs and lights also feels smoother.

Also took about a 100 mile trip thru Colorado's front range on twisty roads, not highway, some in town.
Also agree with stop lights, although starting from lights still a little to abrupt.
Biggest change: on tight twisty roads my 3 now slows down to approximately the posted speed limit for the twists. Nice safety factor for self-driving. If I want to have a more spirited drive I have to do it myself :)

In terms of NOA, I haven't driven long enough to really notice any changes. It still phantom brakes at certain areas and speed limits are still off. But at least one youtuber claimed better lane keeping at higher speeds around corners on backroads among other little improvements.

This guy is a little energetic:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0JtlmbCN8&t=2s

Not sure what to make of it in terms of Autopilot, but just the USB formatting addition is worthwhile enough.

Also took about a 100 mile trip thru Colorado's front range on twisty roads, not highway, some in town.
Also agree with stop lights, although starting from lights still a little to abrupt.
Biggest change: on tight twisty roads my 3 now slows down to approximately the posted speed limit for the twists. Nice safety factor for self-driving. If I want to have a more spirited drive I have to do it myself :)

Yes, agree with the abrupt start and slowing on curves items. Room for improvement.

Launch mode nerfed in 2020.16.2.1 . 2017 SP100D, and with the latest update I'm unable to engage launch mode. I'm a regular user of launch mode so I'm rather familiar with how to do it but it refused to engage this evening with the new software. There are actually instructions on how to engage launch mode from the driving tab now as well, and the only thing "new" is it says to put suspension into low. That didn't help either. I didn't get up to maximum temperature but that hasn't stopped me before - it explicitly states you don't need to wait till it's at maximum temperature to use launch mode. The ambient temperature outside also wasn't below 4 degrees C (which I've experienced in the past as well) as it was about 9 at the time. There also wasn't the ambiguous "two pedals pressed" warning that it used to give. Just no sign of launch mode enabled. Anyone else experience this?

My Model 3 keeps switching the Dome and Ambient lights to off. I'll set the done lights to Auto and Ambient Lights highlighted, and then it will go back to off. Not sure if it's this release or something else, but nothing seems to keep them on. I've done resets to no avail. Anyone else having this issue?

Launch mode nerfed in 2020.16.2.1 . 2017 SP100D, and with the latest update I'm unable to engage launch mode. I'm a regular user of launch mode so I'm rather familiar with how to do it but it refused to engage this evening with the new software. There are actually instructions on how to engage launch mode from the driving tab now as well, and the only thing "new" is it says to put suspension into low. That didn't help either. I didn't get up to maximum temperature but that hasn't stopped me before - it explicitly states you don't need to wait till it's at maximum temperature to use launch mode. The ambient temperature outside also wasn't below 4 degrees C (which I've experienced in the past as well) as it was about 9 at the time. There also wasn't the ambiguous "two pedals pressed" warning that it used to give. Just no sign of launch mode enabled. Anyone else experience this?
Update to this since no one has responded, for reasons unknown the mechanism for launch mode enabling has been changed. There is now no double press of the brake, and it takes a while from pressing both pedals till the launch mode enabled icon comes up. I guess this mechanism is better than the old one, but I have no idea why they decided to suddenly change it. It wasn't even in the release notes.

Radar detectors are worthless... what you need is a laser jammer
They're not worthless if you're willing to spend a lot of money on one. Cheap ones are garbage, spend the money and they actually work very well. Laser jammers are illegal in all but 3 states, and I've only seen laser used in my state maybe 2 times on the last 6 years. So those are a waste of money to me on top of being illegal.

My Model 3 keeps switching the Dome and Ambient lights to off. I'll set the done lights to Auto and Ambient Lights highlighted, and then it will go back to off. Not sure if it's this release or something else, but nothing seems to keep them on. I've done resets to no avail. Anyone else having this issue?

Hmm, noticed my dome lights where off the other day and wondered when I turned them off. maybe they turned themselves off. I've reset to auto and will keep an eye on them.

This update has really made changes to rural windy road driving in my 2020 M3. As an example, a "non speed limit", \ badly mapped road in California where I'd normally be limited to 45mph for auto pilot - I used to let it rip a long at 45mph, then manually have to slow it for particular bends unless it was following someone. Whereas now it slows for all bends along the road and I can just leave it to do its thing. The downside is that it is now a little too conservative so it goes rather slow on some bends, so I have to turn it off and drive myself. Hopefully this is just because it is an early release of this improvement and will get faster in the next update or two.

I think this is a major improvement to AP though. I'm surprised there aren't too many people mentioning it here.

The downside is that it is now a little too conservative so it goes rather slow on some bends, so I have to turn it off and drive myself. Hopefully this is just because it is an early release of this improvement and will get faster in the next update or two.

I think this is a major improvement to AP though. I'm surprised there aren't too many people mentioning it here.

You don't have to turn it off - I just press the accelerator and it speeds up for those 'conservative' curves. Of course, auto braking will not work if you do this. Have to do this sometimes for when it tries to brake for a car crossing my path 1/4 mile in front of me :-(

Few updates back my AP2/MCU1 did get out of passing lane just like a human driver and all of a sudden Tesla took it away. If this feature is purely AP3 now then it's just another marketing BS. Just like how they took away Lane change feature from basic AP and added it to FSD.

Few updates back my AP2/MCU1 did get out of passing lane just like a human driver and all of a sudden Tesla took it away. If this feature is purely AP3 now then it's just another marketing BS. Just like how they took away Lane change feature from basic AP and added it to FSD.

Changing out of the passing lane doesn't seem like a "feature" that they would restrict by hardware. I suspect it was a software issue that was resolved in 2020.16.2.1. Can anyone else confirm that has HW2-2.5 on 2020.16.2.1?