Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I find it interesting that they make improvements like the smoothness of the approach to a traffic lightS and they don’t mention it. Is that in typical in your experience?
Happens ALL THE TIME haha. When Karpathy took over his update turned AP2 from this joke of a bounce bot to a smooth driving Autosteer. The release notes simply said minor improvements.

Reactions: mtndrew1
2018.10.4, I remember it well. That release was an overnight “OMG!”
Yeah it was such a refreshing release. I bet Tesla felt burned that Elon teased that "silky smooth" update under Lattner's reign and when it actually was released it was an utter joke. Like there was nothing silky or smooth about it.

I remember driving on a trip to Tahoe. I got the silky smooth update in time for the return trip and my passengers were basically like "well.... now it's about equally as crappy but in different ways"

That might be part of the reason why Tesla no longer claims Autopilot improvements in release notes, in addition to the usual concerns about admission of guilt.

Reactions: Highway18
Yeah it was such a refreshing release. I bet Tesla felt burned that Elon teased that "silky smooth" update under Lattner's reign and when it actually was released it was an utter joke. Like there was nothing silky or smooth about it.

I remember driving on a trip to Tahoe. I got the silky smooth update in time for the return trip and my passengers were basically like "well.... now it's about equally as crappy but in different ways"

That might be part of the reason why Tesla no longer claims Autopilot improvements in release notes, in addition to the usual concerns about admission of guilt.

That release gives me hope that there could be a similar OMG point release in the oven. In the last six or eight months my car has gone from the toy cars on the display smashing into each other and spinning around in circles to nearly flawless accuracy and now I’ve got pedestrians with a gait.

Two years ago my car couldn’t crest a minor hill on the 101 freeway without veering across three lanes of traffic and aborting.

So there’s been progress. Maybe the new “birds eye” rewrite will be another 2018.10.4 moment making new features seem totally plausible. Or it’ll summon itself into the side of my garage. One of the two.

That release gives me hope that there could be a similar OMG point release in the oven. In the last six or eight months my car has gone from the toy cars on the display smashing into each other and spinning around in circles to nearly flawless accuracy and now I’ve got pedestrians with a gait.

Two years ago my car couldn’t crest a minor hill on the 101 freeway without veering across three lanes of traffic and aborting.

So there’s been progress. Maybe the new “birds eye” rewrite will be another 2018.10.4 moment making new features seem totally plausible. Or it’ll summon itself into the side of my garage. One of the two.

Yeah I've been noticing steady progress over the recent 2 years. Sure, some releases have some setbacks and new bugs, but in general, AP has been progressing and increasing in functionality. Most of it has been arriving incrementally which is probably a good thing.

The release that turned on all 8 cameras and paved the way to NoA was one of those "OMG this came out of nowhere" releases. One week they were making small tweaks on the old neural net and then BOOM new release, brand new neural nets that were never pushed to customers before.

But even since then, NoA has been making steady improvements. No single dot release has been amazing, but I pulled out some of my original dashcam footage for NoA when it first released and compared it to how it drives today, it's night and day. I think we have a way of forgetting how things were in the past.