Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.16 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same in Vancouver BC. Funny enough, Shortly after booking the tire rotations and HW3 request, I got a text back saying they had no HW3 computers in stock and would contact me when available. But when I dropped the car off, they said they had one in stock and did it. So my advice to people who have paid for FSD that need an upgrade is to book some type of service and add on HW3. If they tell you it isn’t ready, go for the other service and ask anyway. Just make sure it’s a service like tire rotation that can’t be done by a mobile service unit.

2020.16 here. It shows cones knocked over if the real cones are knocked over. I think this is a new visualization.
My format button is greyed out despite my dash cam working fine.
That is absolutely phenomenal! Previously, it did indeed show the cones upright and in the correct location when knocked over. Does it point in the right direction as well?

I often get software updates with the same release notes as the previous version. Does this happen to anyone else? For example, I received 2020.12.11.1 a couple of days ago but no new release notes.
This is normal. Tesla does not publish details on bug fixes in notes usually. The more decimals you see, the smaller the update and the lower liklihood of a new note amendment. Usually new notes (and major features) are in XX.X releases. XX.X.X.X will generally not

Is there anywhere to find out the size of these updates? Not easy to get connected to Wifi other than to share my phone data plan. But don't want to blow over my usage limit. Usually its fine but if I knew the size of the update I could plan it better.

Is there anywhere to find out the size of these updates? Not easy to get connected to Wifi other than to share my phone data plan. But don't want to blow over my usage limit. Usually its fine but if I knew the size of the update I could plan it better.

I don't have 2020.16 yet, but the last few appear to be around 900 MB each (if you get a map update, those can be significantly larger). I am assuming the sizes vary depending on the version you may be updating from. The three updates below were:

4/08 - 2020.12.5
4/25 - 2020.12.6
5/04 - 2020.12.11.1

20200508_221803000_iOS.jpg

I sent them a note via an “Other” request service appointment in the mobile app basically saying “I’m sure things are slow right now with far fewer people on the road. I’m wondering it that means requesting an update to HW3 is possible?”

It was installed within two days.

Yeah, see, the problem with that is I was promised a free FSD upgrade, not “if you give us another $2,500 we’ll also upgrade the MCU and kill your XM radio.”

I happened to have a service appt scheduled and they contacted me ahead of time and let me know they could do this computer upgrade-and they did. In January.

So you actually have the free, as in you didn’t pay anything extra (I.e. this isn’t the MCU upgrade that includes the new FSD computer) upgrade? If so you’re the first person I’ve heard of that got it!

Just a point of reference I made a HW3 retrofit only appointment and was scheduled a couple weeks out. Mine was installed begining of April

Made a reservation for same last Saturday, got two replies from Tesla this morning. First read: "I am requesting hardware/part for your request. We are currently out of stock and don't have an arrival date. We will move your service request to pending status, and when the parts arrive, we will follow up to schedule."

About an hour later the same adviser sent me this message: "We don't have FSD for your Model S at this time and will have to wait until the information sent on your profile." (sic)

Tesla app then noted that my service appoint had been cancelled.

I thanked them for letting me know and that it was frustrating watching some people drive around with features and capabilities I paid for in 2016. Didn't get a reply to that one. Oh well.

Reactions: HookBill
I thanked them for letting me know and that it was frustrating watching some people drive around with features and capabilities I paid for in 2016. Didn't get a reply to that one. Oh well.

My feelings exactly. Purchased in 2016 and STILL waiting. Frustrating watching all the YouTube videos of people who purchased theirs a couple of months ago driving around and reporting on it while my money sits collecting dust. When HW3 was first announced I remember many on this forum suggesting those who first purchased FSD when AP2 rolled out becoming the first in line to receive upgrades considering they had waited the longest. For some reason I feel like someone told all those in line to do an about face thus making the front of the line now the caboose.

It is a frustrating time to be a HW2 Mod S owner, especially if you've prepaid for FSD back in the day.

The car, of course, remains wonderful even without FSD. Navigate on Autopilot works quite well.

But literally years of blown schedules and broken promises are taking their toll. I test drove a Raven a few months back and was considering upgrading, then I thought how Tesla has treated me as an owner and decided to wait. I'm also an XM slut and the fact that upgrading the MCU kills XM, because reasons, is annoying as well.

I also knew that it was very likely that although I'd paid for FSD back in 2016, Tesla would likely yank the option for whomever purchased my used car, as they've been known to do.

So I'll wait. We'll see.

Reactions: HookBill
I also knew that it was very likely that although I'd paid for FSD back in 2016, Tesla would likely yank the option for whomever purchased my used car, as they've been known to do.
I agree with you here. I had my car listed for sale and actually pulled the listing until the hw3 retrofit because I didn't want any problems for the new owner with getting HW3 installed. I was afraid they would try to extort another 7k from the new owner.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
This is normal. Tesla does not publish details on bug fixes in notes usually. The more decimals you see, the smaller the update and the lower liklihood of a new note amendment. Usually new notes (and major features) are in XX.X releases. XX.X.X.X will generally not
Both true and false.

From observations it seems the first two numbers are the master branch it comes from, such as 2020.16 (based on year.week). Then every dot after that is patches made to that release (mostly bugfixes).

However sometimes they have larger changes, new features, early access program releases etc... that deviate further from the main branch. These seem also to be dot releases, or even dot dot releases (2020.16.1.1 etc..).