Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.5 enormous improvement to traffic light status detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen this mentioned, but at least for me the new update has vastly improved the distance at which it detects the status (color) of the lights.
On previous builds it would detect it at maybe 2-300ft, which meant that I've always had to stop manually to avoid hard breaking.
With the new version it spots them at like 10-1100 feet, giving the car ample time to slow down.
This is in the middle of the day, so not ideal conditions as the lights don't have as much contrast, so I'm pretty impressed.
My car is a 2018 MS with the HW3M/upgrade

For me I’ve noticed some improvement in GPS accuracy as well. I live in Texas right now, lots of “side” highways. Before my car would have a lot of issues with accuracy in this regard. Would result in sudden decelerations due to changes in speeds depending on the side streets.

From my drives the past couple days noticed a huge improvement in the same locations I’ve had issues with.

• Informative
Reactions: powertoold
I haven't seen this mentioned, but at least for me the new update has vastly improved the distance at which it detects the status (color) of the lights.
On previous builds it would detect it at maybe 2-300ft, which meant that I've always had to stop manually to avoid hard breaking.
With the new version it spots them at like 10-1100 feet, giving the car ample time to slow down.
This is in the middle of the day, so not ideal conditions as the lights don't have as much contrast, so I'm pretty impressed.
My car is a 2018 MS with the HW3M/upgrade

Still unusable for my commute. Without the (at least) +5mph speed set it is more of a traffic danger than a red light danger.