Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.5 has improvements to GPS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Here is partial screenshot of release notes for 2020.20.5:

Screen_Shot_2020-06-05_at_7.21.39_PM_1024x1024.png

"Based on the information from the release notes and the fact that the update is seemingly being rolled out to older vehicles, it appears that 2020.20.5 is designed to level out the performance of Tesla’s fleet, at least to some degree. GPS improvements may seem pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but they go a long way in contributing to a vehicle’s key functions, such as navigation.

This is especially true when one considers that navigation is key to the rollout of the company’s Full Self-Driving suite. Tesla is currently pushing hard to roll out more features for its FSD suite, which would put the system closer to a feature-complete version. CEO Elon Musk is optimistic about FSD, previously stating that its feature-complete iteration is poised to be released in the near future."
Tesla Rolls Out GPS Update Improvements In 2020.20.5 OTA Update

Nice, yet I wonder specifically what is being improved. The stability of my X100 (4 years old now) have been perfect all the time. I've never seen an issue. Maybe others have not been so fortunate ? Inquiring minds want to know. :) Factory folks up here seem to not have answers yet. Guess I am taking to the wrong people. o_O

My 2016 S70D has been at the SC since Wednesday for a flakey GPS issue. Several weeks ago the GPS would periodically start drifting to the left of where I was actually driving, sometimes by a block or two and sometimes up to 20 miles. After a few hours or as much as a day later it would reset. The SC looked at the antenna but found no problem. Today they turned data over to engineering. I’m hoping this update will fix the problem.

Has anyone else seen this type of flakiness with GPS in and older S or X?

Here is partial screenshot of release notes for 2020.20.5:

Screen_Shot_2020-06-05_at_7.21.39_PM_1024x1024.png

"Based on the information from the release notes and the fact that the update is seemingly being rolled out to older vehicles, it appears that 2020.20.5 is designed to level out the performance of Tesla’s fleet, at least to some degree. GPS improvements may seem pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but they go a long way in contributing to a vehicle’s key functions, such as navigation.

This is especially true when one considers that navigation is key to the rollout of the company’s Full Self-Driving suite. Tesla is currently pushing hard to roll out more features for its FSD suite, which would put the system closer to a feature-complete version. CEO Elon Musk is optimistic about FSD, previously stating that its feature-complete iteration is poised to be released in the near future."
Tesla Rolls Out GPS Update Improvements In 2020.20.5 OTA Update
Not sure that’s accurate as I just got the update and my 2018 MX was upgraded to the newest computer hardware (3)

Took a quick drive today. On this update I’ve noticed better stop light color detection range. I’m referring to the traffic light icon alert that pops up for an upcoming stop. Previously it wouldn’t detect light color until around 300ft or so. It’s now showing that it knows what color it is right around the 5-600ft range alert.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
No real difference to me after a couple of days driving. AP and Nav on AP still behaves the same when 1 lane marking disappears. I was hoping this update fixes it with better GPS data.

There is still issues with the car in the HOV/carpool lane. Still turns on left blinker trying to change lanes into a barrier wall (it dont change lane because there is a wall but looks dumb as it keeps the left blinker On) or leaving a carpool lane for no reason and then get back in.

Also, this GPS update didn't trigger a new Navigation Map update so hope a new map can fix these issues soon.

No real difference to me after a couple of days driving. AP and Nav on AP still behaves the same when 1 lane marking disappears. I was hoping this update fixes it with better GPS data.

There is still issues with the car in the HOV/carpool lane. Still turns on left blinker trying to change lanes into a barrier wall (it dont change lane because there is a wall but looks dumb as it keeps the left blinker On) or leaving a carpool lane for no reason and then get back in.

Also, this GPS update didn't trigger a new Navigation Map update so hope a new map can fix these issues soon.

Yep.......same here......no real difference perceived, no GPS calibration seen and no Navigation update.