Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.5 has improvements to GPS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to take a wild guess, but when I hear 'calibration' I think 'wheel ticks'. meaning, dead reckoning.

has tesla ever had that or advertised/bragged about it? its a feature on some gps chipsets and its quite complex, to say the least (to design for and implement).

in short, it helps extrapolate when you lose gps, signal-wise. using the steering angle, wheel tick counter (revolution counter) and some other things (gyros) you can fill in missing data when gps 'goes away'. and it does go away, all the time (but we never see it directly, since software does not report it to the user unless its gone for a long time).

I've heard Karpathy several times in his presentations mention wheel-ticks, steering angle, etc, as some of the inputs they are working with for AP, so it appears the answer is yes.

The uBlox Neo-M8L-05B DGPS unit used by Tesla is capable of CEP =1.5m in horizontal and =3m in vertical plane with SBAS (a geostationary satellite signal supplying error-correction data from calibrated ground stations), but the latter only updates at 1Hz, so the IMU is used to work out the position at 30Hz in between refreshes, or when in a tunnel, etc, reputedly giving a CEP accuracy down to 2cm!

(not quite sure I believe that last figure myself)

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I used to know a guy in a group next to mine, at work, that was doing some advanced gps work. the kind that needs an 'always on' internet connection to help improve gps accuracy. that was not the dead reckoning stuff, but yet another evolution of the whole gps chipset offerings from the various vendors. and yes, ublox is a biggie (I notice you are in .ch and ublox is based there, too. any connection?)

as cars go thru tunnels or in cities with tall buildings, losing gps is a 'thing' that happens and more advanced designs will be using the DR concept.

its a huge PITA to get working, but the end result is definitely worth it.

I would expect lots of updates to our firmware to have 'silent fixes' to the gps system if they are doing DR. again, this is not something that you get working in a few iterations of our code. I have to say, the vendor also has to improve their code (ublox, sigh; you are both good and bad at the same time.)

I used to know a guy in a group next to mine, at work, that was doing some advanced gps work. the kind that needs an 'always on' internet connection to help improve gps accuracy. that was not the dead reckoning stuff, but yet another evolution of the whole gps chipset offerings from the various vendors. and yes, ublox is a biggie (I notice you are in .ch and ublox is based there, too. any connection?)

as cars go thru tunnels or in cities with tall buildings, losing gps is a 'thing' that happens and more advanced designs will be using the DR concept.

its a huge PITA to get working, but the end result is definitely worth it.

I would expect lots of updates to our firmware to have 'silent fixes' to the gps system if they are doing DR. again, this is not something that you get working in a few iterations of our code. I have to say, the vendor also has to improve their code (ublox, sigh; you are both good and bad at the same time.)

Nope, no connection to uBlox here.