Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AlanSubie4Life I have another question if you do not mind answering it. Is the 71 kWh size of my battery the usable size? Does it exclude or include the ~3 kWh buffer beyond driving to zero miles? TIA
As I said that 71kWh includes the buffer (4.5%) so about 67.8kWh usable. (Vs. about 74.5kWh usable when you started.)

Last edited:
Reactions: nj1266
what about only getting 300 miles on delivery? surely the car should have been returned. THats like starting with 5% degradation already (remember the car needs to lose like 3kwh (?) before you even see a range decrease)
A tech came to the house reseal my passenger door I told him and was told to charge the car slower. So I started charging at 24amps vs 48 and I've recovered 8 miles in 3 weeks. So I'll keep that up and see where it goes 🤷🏾‍♂️

what about only getting 300 miles on delivery? surely the car should have been returned. THats like starting with 5% degradation already (remember the car needs to lose like 3kwh (?) before you even see a range decrease)
For my 2021 M3P it is like this:
Full range is shown to 80.4kWh.
80.3kWh shows less than 507km(315mi).

More or less no 2021 with the 2170L pack goes beyond 81kWh when you get the car. Some is below 80, My was 80.7kWh.
For this car you can realistically only ”loose” less than 0.5kWh before the range start to go down. If using the full pack when new value, it will be about 1.7kWh before range drop.
I did read Alansubies report about earlier cars showing 79kWh, but as the ”full pack when new” was 77.8(?) I guess thats the fair number to start counting from? Do we know the average NFP from that time(2018 or 19, whwn new?)

• Informative
Reactions: Candleflame
How does your chsrging schedule look?
What charging level do you use? When do you charge( every night? When you get back after work etc? )
How many miles on the ODO?
Do you have it in a garage or outside and what is the typical ambient temps in winter and summer?
Charge when needed, the car is garage kept with Tesla gen 3 charger set to 24amps was 48.

Charge when needed, the car is garage kept with Tesla gen 3 charger set to 24amps was 48.
How high % do you charge to?

In general, its better to always connect the charger annd charge every day and not charge to high levels unless needed fotlr that day.

From your range loss in 1-2 years it looks like you would use quite high SOC (charge to high levels, and that it is standing with high SOC for the main part of the time, and also quite warm climate?

How high % do you charge to?

In general, its better to always connect the charger annd charge every day and not charge to high levels unless needed fotlr that day.

From your range loss in 1-2 years it looks like you would use quite high SOC (charge to high levels, and that it is standing with high SOC for the main part of the time, and also quite warm climate?
90% Memphis area not too hot or cold

Reactions: AAKEE